Technician privileges

Status
Not open for further replies.

WB9YBM

So why give them any HF privileges at all? That's how the FCC has it structured. You don't need to agree with the FCC; you don't even need to use the frequencies if you don't want to. If it bothers you that much, petition the FCC to change it. Forcing them to learn CW to get a taste of what HF has to offer is silly. OK, if it bothers you that much then don't learn code. No one's forcing you to. In fact, no one's even forcing you to get a ham license at all. If the license offends you so much, then get a CB. Or use a telephone. You can communicate by screaming out the window for all we care.

And what exact material is that? ;) Do you have any specific examples for me? I'm sure you're quite capable of looking up test exams in any one of a number of resources out there (like the ARRL or FCC, and others) without me needing to hold your hand.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
That's how the FCC has it structured. You don't need to agree with the FCC; you don't even need to use the frequencies if you don't want to. If it bothers you that much, petition the FCC to change it. Forcing them to learn CW to get a taste of what HF has to offer is silly. OK, if it bothers you that much then don't learn code. No one's forcing you to. In fact, no one's even forcing you to get a ham license at all. If the license offends you so much, then get a CB. Or use a telephone. You can communicate by screaming out the window for all we care.

I actually care about my hobby. I actually care about improving it. It has been a part of my life for more than a quarter century. The ARRL is indeed looking to petition the FCC and get it changed.

I'm sure you're quite capable of looking up test exams in any one of a number of resources out there (like the ARRL or FCC, and others) without me needing to hold your hand.

Spoken as someone who has absolutely no answer to my question.

WB9YBM

@WB9YBM The hobby is dying and that is why it is imperative these changes take place.

According to our history, its been dying since 1909. :rolleyes:

If "dying" = shrinking rolls, yeah--that's why there was an attempt at an upsurge through incentive licensing. Although if we think "dying" = not keeping up with technological developments, that's a different story. (All depends on the spin we want to put on it.) Although: if it's kept alive by users that are going to trash it with bad operating practices, should it be allowed to die a natural death?:unsure: (i.e. what's the point to keeping it alive.) Although maybe I'm being cynical and it's not really that bad (at least not yet)?

WB9YBM

I actually care about my hobby. I actually care about improving it. It has been a part of my life for more than a quarter century. The ARRL is indeed looking to petition the FCC and get it changed.

I'm curious: what have you contributed to accomplish that goal?

Spoken as someone who has no clue where to find study material.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber

I'm curious: what have you contributed to accomplish that goal?

Spoken as someone who has no clue where to find study material.

LMAO!!!! Says it all right there. ;)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Study material or test question pools? ARRL, W5YI and others publish study material. The question pools are available from the NCVEC.

However, neither resource answers the question at hand.

KE0GXN

If "dying" = shrinking rolls, yeah--that's why there was an attempt at an upsurge through incentive licensing. Although if we think "dying" = not keeping up with technological developments, that's a different story. (All depends on the spin we want to put on it.) Although: if it's kept alive by users that are going to trash it with bad operating practices, should it be allowed to die a natural death?:unsure: (i.e. what's the point to keeping it alive.) Although maybe I'm being cynical and it's not really that bad (at least not yet)?

Exactly, its always about the spin. Everyone has their own opinions when it comes to this hobby. I am having fun either way, whether they let Tecs on more HF bands or not. ;)

As far as the natural death, well, I look at this way, all I can do is enjoy it now, if when the day comes that it dies or go down the CB road, well, I'll find something else to do.

It's not bad now at all, listening to some OMs on 80 right now. Although, they don't sound like the most "politically correct" fellas on the planet, they are rag chewing and enjoying themselves. At the end of the day, is that not what it is all about?

73 Klaus. I am going to see if they can hear me and join them in pontificating about life via RF! :)

bill4long

As myself and alcahuete mentioned on another thread,

Me:

ARRL claims 160k members. 7000+ are foreign hams. Some are probably "life" members who are no longer active. ARRL estimate in 2011 was two million active hams world wide. (Dunno how accurate that is now.) I suspect that preppers, and others that didn't get a license for frequent use, do not join the ARRL. Icom has sold over 30,000 IC-7300 (worldwide) in the last few years, so I would guess there's at least that many people using HF regularly around the world.

I've been a ham for 39 years, I work 80m thru 70cm, DMR, Fusion, and local FM regularly. Ham radio doesn't seem dead to me. HF band conditions have bottomed out, but I suspect when sunspot cycle 25 heats up, HF will be a flurry of activity again.

alcahuete:

"About 80,000 hams in the US were active enough to get a digital ID of some sort (DMR, NXDN, etc.) over the last few years. Some of those are duplicates, so probably about 75,000 realistically. Doesn't mean they ever used the radio, but at least they're active enough to still be at least somewhat involved in amateur radio. There are probably 150,000-200,000 people who use HF somewhat regularly. My guess would be 25-30% of the total licensed hams in the US are actually somewhat active. Just a guess, of course. "

It would seem that the rumors of ham radio's demise are grossly over-exaggerated.

W5lz

First, there are no CW requirements in the USA anymore. So all the arguing about it is mute. Up-grading, if you want the additional privileges then do so. If you don't care about them, then don't. When I first started you had to know CW at one of three 'levels', 5WPM, 13WPM, and 20WPM. So I learned it. I found that after a while, it was fun. You can carry on a conversation almost like on voice. Lots of special 'words', like E-S for 'and', etc. CW is a learned ability, it takes time to learn it, then build speed. Just like driving a car, it takes a while to be good at it. I don't see any particular need for having it to qualify for a ham license, but just 'cuz it's old doesn't mean there isn't a lot of it still around, and still useful. Would you rather have to learn ASCCII characters? It's used a bunch. Oh well...

durango5550

Booger D.
If older hams would stop whining about the "fake hams" and actually take the time to teach or answer questions some might have , maybe us younger hams would actually get a true interest in upgrading. Its been my experience, because I didn't learn code that I am a "fake ham" , "I'm not truly interested in ham radio". I am truly interested in ham radio , sadly Morse code does not interest me , I am however interested in the newer forms of digital communications. I have put off getting my general simply because older hams are A&^holes to fellas like me. I've tried to get involved and ask questions only to be treated like a lower life form. Anyway just throwing my two cents out there.

Good day all!
KC8ONR

bill4long

Morse code does not interest me

I have been a ham for 39 years. Passed Tech, General and Advanced in 1981. Extra in 2010. Had to pass 5 wpm for Tech and 13 wpm for General. I got pretty good at CW. Surpassed 20wpm copy. Did it for a couple of years. Then forgot all about it. In fact, I have no desire to ever do CW again. Period. I realized that... I hate CW.

I am one of the old hams that was happy to see CW be removed from Amateur radio testing, even though I kept my opinion to myself "back in the day."

I am however interested in the newer forms of digital communications. I have put off getting my general simply because older hams are A&^holes to fellas like me. I've tried to get involved and ask questions only to be treated like a lower life form.

Should be careful to generalize based on your limited anectotal experiences. I'm an "old ham" and a fairly experienced one. I would be happy to answer any questions. Others out there probably as well. Go ahead and start another thread, "Techs Asking Old Hams Questions" and I promise not to treat you like a lower life form. ;)

WB9YBM

I was in response to the below comment...did it offend you in some way?

No, not offended--in fact the death of ham radio's been a topic among local hams here for some time--just wondering what it's got to do with this thread.

WB9YBM

As far as the natural death, well, I look at this way, all I can do is enjoy it now, if when the day comes that it dies or go down the CB road, well, I'll find something else to do.

That reminds me: about 15-20 years ago I heard talk (forgot where--too long ago) that the FCC was considering creating a band of frequencies for experimenters. Nothing, as far as I know, ever became of it; IF true, I wonder if it's because the FCC realized even back then what's happening with the state of ham radio? (additional side note: for several decades there have been unlicensed experimenters called "lowfers" and "medfers" because they're experimenting with QRP stuff on really low frequencies--all home-brew stuff--I'm curious if that will be the path for radio experimentation if ham radio declines far enough?)

Status
Not open for further replies.