• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Tecsun PL-660 DC Power Adaptor

I have a PL-660 & Uniden scanner that both have the same size DC power adaptor sockets.
However they have different polarities.
I have the two plugs marked accordingly, but what would the likely outcome be if they get connected wrong?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have a PL-660 & Uniden scanner that both have the same size DC power adaptor sockets.
However they have different polarities.
I have the two plugs marked accordingly, but what would the likely outcome be if they get connected wrong?
Blowing a fuse in the radio, and possibly one in the supply.

Sent using Tapatalk

Blowing a diode near the power jack of the radio is a possibility. I did that on my DX-370 (Radio Shack's own version of the Sangean ATS-800A). Had the reversible tip set to the wrong polarity by accident, plugged it in, smelled burning electronics. Woops. Opened the back and one of the polarity protection diodes was fried.

Luckily I was able to replace the diode, even though the board was surface mount. But yea, there may be protection diodes near the jack to keep the rest of the radio's internals from being fried due to reversed power polarity. I don't know if Tecsuns have these, but Sangeans do.