Tecsun PL-660 DC Power Adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
I have a PL-660 & Uniden scanner that both have the same size DC power adaptor sockets.
However they have different polarities.
I have the two plugs marked accordingly, but what would the likely outcome be if they get connected wrong?

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I have a PL-660 & Uniden scanner that both have the same size DC power adaptor sockets.
I have the two plugs marked accordingly, but what would the likely outcome be if they get connected wrong?
Blowing a fuse in the radio, and possibly one in the supply.

Sent using Tapatalk

Boombox

Blowing a diode near the power jack of the radio is a possibility. I did that on my DX-370 (Radio Shack's own version of the Sangean ATS-800A). Had the reversible tip set to the wrong polarity by accident, plugged it in, smelled burning electronics. Woops. Opened the back and one of the polarity protection diodes was fried.

Luckily I was able to replace the diode, even though the board was surface mount. But yea, there may be protection diodes near the jack to keep the rest of the radio's internals from being fried due to reversed power polarity. I don't know if Tecsuns have these, but Sangeans do.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Take some RED nail polish and paint the plug on the one with the negative tip, since that's the non-standard one.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
Thats a good idea.
I just found 2 other radios with the same issue, Uniden BC365CRS & Tecsun S-2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.