Tecsun Tecsun PL-990 availability

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I just got an email from Universal Radio that this radio may be available late next month. The Al-Anon site is saying November 12.

Stay tuned....Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
May be the 990 and not the 990X which is the one slated for export. From the reviews, it's a terrific radio. Amazon's price is about USD30 higher than the Anon website, and the Amazon sale doesn't include a 2nd battery, which the Anon sale does.

I wish I wasn't unemployed right now....Mike

MDScanFan

Reconrider

$270! Man, there is no way I would pay that much when there are other decent portables for about half as much.

I appreciate that Tecsun is still producing portables. I own the 880 and 600. SSB leaves a lot to be desired but their AM (BCB and SW) and FM reception is great.
No kidding. I would rather spend half and get the 880. My buddy has the 880 and loves it. Would you say the 880 is worth picking up if I wanted to listen to shortwave?

MDScanFan

For a portable I have been very pleased with the 880 and think you can’t go wrong with it unless HF SSB is very important to you. It is a very good value - I bought one used for around $100. If you do a search on RR or SWLing.com you will find some good reviews. Pros: build quality, ergonomics, speaker, AM and FM mode reception, compact size, excellent battery life. Cons: SSB AGC distortion. I will be curious to see how the 990 compares after some more reviews come in.

No kidding. I would rather spend half and get the 880. My buddy has the 880 and loves it. Would you say the 880 is worth picking up if I wanted to listen to shortwave?

Engine104

Member since 2005
I agree, I have a 660 and I agree about the poor SSB reception, even when I use the longwire antenna or connect it to my ham dipole. The AM shortwave and MW is amazing, though

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Funny how many reviews have praised the 660's SSB reception. You sure you're not overdriving it - connecting it to a ham dipole almost certainly will. Portables simply can't handle that much RF without causing issues. I really don't understand why people keep doing this....

It should work OK with the supplied wire antenna, but anything more....questionable

Very odd, for sure....Mike

Engine104

Member since 2005
Hi Mike,

It works ok with the wire antenna and, yes, the G5RV is too much antenna (I tried it once, just to see), but I was expecting better SSB performance. Maybe the problem is that I am comparing it to my ham rig.

Engine104

Member since 2005
Engine104, adjust the gain switch from DX to normal and see if that makes a difference.
Hi N9JCQ,

That doesn't help much with SSB, but it does with MW and the more powerful SW stations. Like anything else, it depends on band conditions. Last night, I was able to copy QSOs on 80m and 40m without much of a problem. I really like the radio. I just need to stop ccomparing it to my ham rig.

BTW: My son moved to your area several years ago to teach. We've been to the Lou Malnati's in Buffalo Grove many times :)

-Larry (KG6EJT)

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Hi N9JCQ,

That doesn't help much with SSB, but it does with MW and the more powerful SW stations. Like anything else, it depends on band conditions. Last night, I was able to copy QSOs on 80m and 40m without much of a problem. I really like the radio. I just need to stop ccomparing it to my ham rig.

BTW: My son moved to your area several years ago to teach. We've been to the Lou Malnati's in Buffalo Grove many times :)

-Larry (KG6EJT)
Well how cool is that?? Yeah my PL-660 is not as good as my Drake TR7. Still I like it to listen to QSOs like youi do.

Status
Not open for further replies.