Tecsun Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
I have recently bought a Tecsun PL-660.
Rather disappointed with the long distance AM Reception.
Would anyone know if the PL-880 or S-2000 would be any better.
Thanks

Boombox

Why don't you just use an external loop? The issue might be the internal loopstick is short, like the one in my Grundig G2 (a Tecsun made radio -- the G2 has a 50-60mm loopstick to conserve space. The internals, otherwise, are fine).

I have read good things about the PL-880. I think it has a more standard sized loopstick, if memory serves.

WA8ZTZ

Got the PL-600 here and with just the internal loopstick it is so-so on AM.
However, if you inductively couple it to a loop or use another inductively coupled loopstick connected to an
antenna and ground this radio really comes alive.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
Got the PL-600 here and with just the internal loopstick it is so-so on AM.
However, if you inductively couple it to a loop or use another inductively coupled loopstick connected to an
antenna and ground this radio really comes alive.

I like the sound of this.
I was intending to build a loop at some stage. I currently have a end fed longwire.
How do you "inductively connect"

WA8ZTZ

If, for example, you build a box loop, you simply bring the radio close to the loop until you find the "sweet spot" where the gain of the radio increases. No wire connection between the radio and the loop is required... they are coupled together through induction.
Another method would involve using a ferrite loopstick (either stripped out of an old AM radio or wind your own). Connect your longwire to one end of the loopstick coil and connect a ground to the other end. Again, bring the loopstick towards the radio until you find the spot where the gain increases (usually near the internal loopstick of the radio).

Boombox

Looking at a pic of the Tecsun PL-660 with its back off, it seems to have a decently sized MW ferrite loopstick, along the top of the radio. It looks to be about 100-120 mm.

Still, I have a few radios with 100 mm or 120 mm loopsticks that technically should be hot MW performers, but in my hilly, low ground conductivity location they simply aren't. Perhaps that is your situation. Some areas are naturally better for MW performance than others.

Even a small MW loop will help. As the others suggested, you just set the radio near the external loop. You may have to move the radio from one side of the external loop to another side, for best performance. Or -- set the loop in front of, or behind the radio. ON the PL-660 the loopstick coil is top center of the radio -- that might be the strongest spot, but most radios work excellently if you set the radio to either side of the external loop, which usually is most convenient for tuning the MW band.

Most guys who DX the MW band use loops eventually. Very few radios are good enough to not use one -- and even those radios benefit from an external loop if you are in a low signals area.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
Got the thing built but the only variable capacitor I have spare is a miniature am/fm type with 6 terminals.
Tried a few combinations but can't get it to work.

a29zuk

One of the reviewers on eham.net stated he gets better MW reception when he raises the telescoping antenna on the PL-600. He thinks when the whip is laying down it is interfering with the ferrite rod inside the radio.

Just something to try,
Jim

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Got the thing built but the only variable capacitor I have spare is a miniature am/fm type with 6 terminals.
Tried a few combinations but can't get it to work.

Variable Capacitor Sources:

Stormwise
(903) 383-7047 Variable Capacitors. Brand New Low Frequency Variable Capacitors.
Air Variable - Panel Mount (Various MFG)
Air Variable - Panel Mount (Various MFG) - Capacitors
JOHNSON AIR VARIABLE CAPACITORS
Air Variable - Johnson Panel Mount - Capacitors
Oren Elliott

N50, S2, S3 Style Air-Dielectric Variable Capacitors | Oren Elliott Products, Inc.
Surplus Sales of Nebraska
Air Variable Capacitors, Shafted: Single Section

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
One of the reviewers on eham.net stated he gets better MW reception when he raises the telescoping antenna on the PL-600. He thinks when the whip is laying down it is interfering with the ferrite rod inside the radio.

Just something to try,
Jim

Thanks Jim.
I had actually tried that but it didn't seem to make any difference.

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber

WA8ZTZ

You typically need a 10-365 pf air variable for most box loop designs.

Try tuning in a weak signal as there will be little if any noticeable improvement with the loop on a strong signal.
You have to find just the right spot as in post #8 per Boombox. Also, be aware that the loop will produce a null
facing the station broadside.

Tune slowly as the peak is usually quite sharp.

Boombox

Your mini tuner capacitor should work. A larger, metal air-cap will be better, as it won't wear out. But in the meantime, keep trying to find the section of the mini tuner that will tune your loop.

Use alligator clips on the ends of the two wires coming from your loop. Use the clips to find the combination that works. It will be to the largest section of the tuner cap -- it has four sections, probably -- the antenna and oscillator sections for each band, AM and FM. You want to find the one that leads to the AM antenna tuning section. It would be easiest to do this with alligator clips.

I have alligator clips on my crate loop antenna. No need to solder, really.

majoco

Stirrer
Keith - if your local purchase is not suitable I'll have a hunt into the bottomless junk box to see if I have one that will do the job. Somewhere I have some nice 3-gang ones that you can get down to the NDB band with all in parallel!

rocky28965

Premium Subscriber
Keith - if your local purchase is not suitable I'll have a hunt into the bottomless junk box to see if I have one that will do the job. Somewhere I have some nice 3-gang ones that you can get down to the NDB band with all in parallel!

Thanks Martin.
It's a single gang 365pf so should do the job.
However I do have another project coming up which I will need to source some parts for.

Boombox

Remember that you can use a plastic milk crate to build a MW loop. Looks like it would be the same size as your first MW loop you said you were building. I have a crate loop. Works great. A crate, 110 ft of wire, zip ties, 365 pf tuner cap, some tape, and alligator clips, and you're set to go....

Status
Not open for further replies.