TekBox TBMA1 30MHz 1000 MHz Biconical Measurement Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Interesting antenna! They seem to be for sale just about everywhere all over the internet, even WALMART! I've seem "Lab antennas" similar to this but I find it difficult to believe this would perform well from 30MHz - 1999 MHz. It seems it would be an ideal antenna for SDR's. Anyone have experience with anything like this?

1625685722229.png

TekBox TBMA1 30MHz 1000 MHz Biconical Measurement Antenna

1625685655450.png

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They are often used as a reference antenna when testing transceivers in a lab. Not going to work well for DX.

I don't dabble in stuff like this very often, but I do have an Aaronia log periodic that I ended up with at work for some reason.

G7RUX

This type of antenna is not used for general reception or transmission because, although they have a good match across their operating range, they have low efficiency. This is because what is important with a measurement antenna is well-characterised performance so the gain, mismatch losses and antenna factor are accurately known across their frequency range.

1626874005530.png

An antenna factor of 42 dB is pretty big and gain of -42 dBi is pretty small!

In short, it will work but don't expect a sensitive receiving setup with it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
They are often used as a reference antenna when testing transceivers in a lab. Not going to work well for DX.

I don't dabble in stuff like this very often, but I do have an Aaronia log periodic that I ended up with at work for some reason.

I don't think I'd want to play with that in a large public gathering...probably get shot! o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.