Telescopic antenna for transmitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Can I use a telescopic antenna to transmit on just about anything? I have a 5 watt radio and I want to know if hooking it up to a telescopic antenna is better than the 6'' duckie

fineshot1

Depends on how long it extends and also the band you are using it on.

For example: 2 meter ham band = about 20 inches for a 1/4 wave antenna.

So if you were going to use it as a 1/4 wave on the 2 meter ham band then
you would extend it to that length(assuming its not shorter) and no further.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
fineshot1 said:
Depends on how long it extends and also the band you are using it on.

For example: 2 meter ham band = about 20 inches for a 1/4 wave antenna.

So if you were going to use it as a 1/4 wave on the 2 meter ham band then
you would extend it to that length(assuming its not shorter) and no further.
Okay thanks, yeh I have a long telescoping for a radio in VHF high

SLWilson

M O T O ...

Motorola used to use a telescoping antenna on their old low band portables (I mean OLD...Back in the 70's and 80's). We used 39.58 and 39.26 and the portable itself was the size of a standard brick. The antanne was about 36 to 40 inches tall when you pulled it all the way up...

Steve/KB8FAR :D

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
SLWilson said:
Motorola used to use a telescoping antenna on their old low band portables (I mean OLD...Back in the 70's and 80's). We used 39.58 and 39.26 and the portable itself was the size of a standard brick. The antanne was about 36 to 40 inches tall when you pulled it all the way up...

Steve/KB8FAR :D
LOL lowband telescopics are like 3 feet tall. I wonder what the officers who had them on their belts look like when they try to step through door when its extended. Theyt musta got good coverage for them tho

N1BHH

They would usually not be on their belts. They would be on the seat and wouldn't get turned on until they get out and then the antenna is extended. The old bricks were so heavy that you'd be naked from the waste down in short time.

SLWilson

Rx

chrismoll said:
LOL lowband telescopics are like 3 feet tall. I wonder what the officers who had them on their belts look like when they try to step through door when its extended. Theyt musta got good coverage for them tho
They actually recieved OK with the antenna DOWN. Just couldn't talk too far that way.

PLUS, they never really carried them on their belt. They were too heavy and big.

They generally stuck 'em in their back pants pocket....

Steve/KB8FAR :lol:

SAR923

Umm...I wouldn't transmit on any antenna unless I knew for sure what the SWR reading was using a dummy load. Nothing worse than a burned out final on a nice radio because of a bad antenna, especially a telescoping antenna, which is subject to all kinds of mismatch oddities.

On the road to memory lane, we didn't even have portables as such when I started in 1968. We had "lunchboxes", GE radios that weighed about 20 pounds, had a handle like a lunchbox, a hand mike, and a base loaded low band antenna about 40" long. Only sergeants and above had them. We thought it was quite an advance when got those Motorola bricks with the telescoping antennas and we lowly deputies were allowed to have one per car. :)

coulterman17

t.v.

Steve/KB8FAR

Just watch the old t.v. show EMERGENCY! and you'll see exactly what he's talk'n about!

rcvmo

Ah yes.......the moto HT200, and the handie com MH-10.
Many moons ago I was watching Michigan Outdoors and seen a sheriff dep from Oceana county using an MH-10 as he fully extended the whip to call for a rescue on a dune buggy accident. What was even more dated was the 1960ish Ford Galaxy station wagon that showed up with a Twinsonic and O series siren in front of it.
Pass the O2 and the first aid kit !!
rcvmo

SAR923

af5rn said:
The Seventies weren't that long ago!! :mad:

It doesn't seem that long ago to me either but, considering we are 38 years away from 1970, we're now starting to get close to a new generation of people who never heard of 1970. :)

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
how much power output did the lunchboxes have? I've seen them before, there like a little toolbox

af5rn

chrismoll said:
how much power output did the lunchboxes have? I've seen them before, there like a little toolbox
I used to use a GE PortaMobile lunchbox, and I am pretty sure it was 15 watts, although I wouldn't swear to it. Maybe the Seventies were a long time ago after all, lol.

SAR923

There were two versions on low band, one that was 15 watts and one that 25 watts. The chief difference, from my memory, was the size of the battery. The 25 watt model was about 20 pounds and it was a great workout carting one of those around all day. We were on simplex so we used the 25 watt model. The battery was usually good for one shift as long as you didn't go over about 15% transmit time. We used them for the marine patrol and leaping from one boat to another with one of those things in your hand was a real test of balance. I'm glad I was young when I was stuck using that thing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.