Temiskaming OPP versus South Porcupine OPP

JonathanK

Premium Subscriber
Hello. My portable Bearcat BC72XLT scanners do have the 4 Lima OPP frequencies, as listed on the ScannerCat website, but it's all encrypted.

How is the OPP from the Temiskaming Ontario feed not encrypted? By the way, many thanks to that Temiskaming feed.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
They aren’t encrypted - they’re using P25 digital voice, which your scanner is incapable of utilizing.

If you want to listen yourself for the time being until the switchover to the new, encrypted system happens in that region, I’d suggest looking for older, digital scanners like the 396XT or 996T/XT. But I wouldn’t invest too much at this time with the current progress on the changeover.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The OPP in your area are not encrypted, it's just you've got the wrong scanner for listening to them.

You need a scanner that's P25 capable in order to listen to them.

JonathanK

Premium Subscriber
I do have higher end Bearcat models as well. I did buy one of those 900$ Bearcat scanners, with failed hopes of un-ecrypting local PD in my area. I sent it back lol. I thought the P25 was non-accessible at all? Maybe I am wrong.

In my local town, I do have access to Fire and Ambulance but they are trunked on the same frequencies as the South Porcupine OPP. If that screeching sound happens, I have to constantly hit SCAN until the Fire or Ambulance dispatch sounds their pager or makes a verbal call.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
P25 is just a form of digital modulation. It can be encrypted and unencrypted. Currently the OPP in your area are not encrypted. While they are rolling out a new system that will be fully encrypted, it will most likely be a few years before it gets to you.

The other issue is your scanner does not support trunking which is why you hear ambulance and OPP mixed together.

I just got back from the Latchford area and had no problems listening to Temiskaming OPP. I was using a combination of an SDS100 and a BCD996P2.

JonathanK

Premium Subscriber
P25 is just a form of digital modulation. It can be encrypted and unencrypted. Currently the OPP in your area are not encrypted. While they are rolling out a new system that will be fully encrypted, it will most likely be a few years before it gets to you.

The other issue is your scanner does not support trunking which is why you hear ambulance and OPP mixed together.

I just got back from the Latchford area and had no problems listening to Temiskaming OPP. I was using a combination of an SDS100 and a BCD996P2.
Perfect thank you.