Temperature Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hello All!

I have a Dell OptiPlex 755 SFF computer that I use in the shack strictly for monitoring, programing, etc.
It has a core 2 Quad Q 6700 processor chip running at 2.66 Ghz.. I have 6 gigs of ram in it. It runs pretty quiet and does all I need it to do. Recently, a friend recommended a program called Speedfan. Among other things, it monitors your internal temps. I discovered that all the cores and the hard drive are running cool, with no issues. However, the GPU ( graphics processing unit ) seems to be running hot, consistently at 57 degrees Celsius, roughly 134 degrees Fahrenheit. How do I go about bringing this temperature down? Is this even something I should be worried about or what? I could really use some advise here! Thanks in advance!

Manny

KC4RAF

Davenport,Fl.- home to me and the gators and the s
Manny, I think that temp is

ok and not to worry about it. If it reaches say about 85C (about 185 Fahrenheit), then you should increase the fan CFM air flow. If you still want to bring the temp down, you'll have to get a faster/bigger cooling fan.
HTH.

CFM = Cubic Feet per Minutes.

CapStar362

is the GPU a card or integrated on the CPU?

GPU's tend to run hotter than CPUs anyways.

Speedfan has been around for awhile now, but if you want REAL temps about your Quad google RealTemp.

RealTemp here = Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

Realtemp is FAR more powerful at accurate readings for Intel 775 and higher CPU's, it measures the actual TJMax distance on the DTS Sensor. the newest version of Realtemp will also monitor NVidia Cards

and then if your GPU is a ATi/AMD or NVidia, grab MSI Afterburner and take a look at what you can do with that!

RAF, 85 is moderately above average for GPU's while under heavy load, they can go as high as mid 90's in most cases. CPU's though will start throttling the clocks @ about 88-90C and then if they spike 102, then Thermal Shutdown is triggered.

my two 650Ti BOOST 2gb SSC Cards in SLi will stay right at 70C under full load with max fans while playing BF4.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
is the GPU a card or integrated on the CPU?

GPU's tend to run hotter than CPUs anyways.

Speedfan has been around for awhile now, but if you want REAL temps about your Quad google RealTemp.

RealTemp here = Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

Realtemp is FAR more powerful at accurate readings for Intel 775 and higher CPU's, it measures the actual TJMax distance on the DTS Sensor. the newest version of Realtemp will also monitor NVidia Cards

and then if your GPU is a ATi/AMD or NVidia, grab MSI Afterburner and take a look at what you can do with that!

RAF, 85 is moderately above average for GPU's while under heavy load, they can go as high as mid 90's in most cases. CPU's though will start throttling the clocks @ about 88-90C and then if they spike 102, then Thermal Shutdown is triggered.

my two 650Ti BOOST 2gb SSC Cards in SLi will stay right at 70C under full load with max fans while playing BF4.

The GPU is a card not integrated graphics!. It only has a heat sink and not a fan, which may be the main problem. Being a SFF computer, there isn't much interior real estate to add many things.
I downloaded the program you suggested. Its only off by a few digits compared to Speedfan.

Manny

CapStar362

okay so you have a card..... which one? get me a image of it and lets run with what is below......

being a SFF chassis, you CAN purchase a small utility cooling fan and run it to the PSU directly as a molex dongle and screw it into the GPU's HS. i do this plenty of times for SFF Cases

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
Yah, just slap on a small fan and hook it right up to 12v power. Just use one of these if you cant find an open power line Rosewill 12" Fan power supply cable Model RCW-311 - Newegg.com This just plugs into power and you can plug something else into it as well (not recommended for high load uses). Go ask a computer friend if you could use one, I'm sure he'll have tons of them ( I do).

Also, if you feel up to it, consider re-pasting the heat sink. Even if you total screw it up and completely miss the GPU and get paste all over the board and then put the heat sink back on dry, you wont see too much of a temp increase. But just a simple re paste will help reduce temps greatly. You really cant mess up with these smaller/low heat processioning units. Fans are always nice but all the cold air in the world wont do any good if you cant get the heat to the radiator.

And on a side-ish topic, make sure your moving enough case air. These smaller cards dont necessarily need a dedicated fan if you have good case air flow. Plus you said you where only using this rig for monitoring, so the graphics aren't under any strain. I would recommend a fan though, but thats me talking because I like hardware and "modding" things. You can never be too cold when your talking about your computer.

I am paranoid when it comes to temps, I hate seeing anything over 100F, thats why I have an EVGA Superblock CPU cooler on my Intel i3 and 2 small fans for my RAM. . I use Speccy to monitors my equipment. It does a little more than watch fan speeds and temps, but its free and I like what it offers.

Hey CapStar, do use PrecisionX with your 650Ti cards? I run it with my 660 (not to overclock, just to watch performance and change fan speeds) and it keeps my 660 fairly cool when I'm gaming.

CapStar362

precision blows compared to MSI Afterburner.... TONS more features in AB vs. Precision

AB was created by RivaTuner's Programmer himself - Alexey Nicolaychuk aka Unwinder, after MSI Bought the rights to RT itself and hired him. precision is nothing more than a clone now.

MSI has a built in OSD, so when you are in a Fullscreen app, or have a second monitor, you can have the OSD giving realtime monitoring. plug in HWInfo, to Riva's OSD RTSS and then you get not only GPU monitoring, , add full SYSTEM monitoring!! even down to HDD/SSD usage and data rates!

AronDouglas

Premium Subscriber
I use Precision because I have a GeForce/Nvidia card in my current rig. Plus its a 660 so theres not much in I can do like overclocking. All I really need is a fan controller. My brother has an MSI 760 Hawk that I might steal from him and put in my case :)

Sorry OP, we got a bit off topic.

CapStar362

I use Precision because I have a GeForce/Nvidia card in my current rig. Plus its a 660 so theres not much in I can do like overclocking. All I really need is a fan controller. My brother has an MSI 760 Hawk that I might steal from him and put in my case :)

Sorry OP, we got a bit off topic.

doesnt matter, MSI AB can read and control both ATi/AMD & nVidia of any class and any brand of cards. its powered by the original Rivatuner, which didnt care what brand or class your cards were... its just MSI branded now.

try it, you will like it, the fan control is MUCH better than Precisions

i have eVGA cards myself, but i use MSI to control them and watch the OSD during gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.