Temporary Update to N9JIG Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am leaving in a couple weeks for a trip across the country and I wanted to try out the 536 while traveling. I usually use a couple 996XT's but figured I would try this on the road and see if I want to replace my trusty XT's with 536's.

Since the 536 won't support remote heads and I don't consider Siren to be a viable option I decided to mount it up front for access instead of in the cargo area with the rest of the radios. I pulled out the two existing RH-96's and, using the shorter RH-96 bracket, mounted the 536 vertically on the center console. I built a cigar-lighter power cable with 3 coaxial power connectors, one for the 536 and 2 for the RH-96's, this is plugged in in the storage bin under the arm rest.

Since I want to use the GPS function I pulled out the Uniden GPS puck from the rear cargo area where it was connected to the 2 996XT's and repurposed it to the 536. Temporarily I have it connected to the dashboard cigar-lighter jack but will get a multi-plug adapter later this week. I will also grab another GPS puck to use on the 996XT's this week as well.

I then relocated the two RH-96's, one on the sliding door and the other behind the 536. I wanted to keep the cup holders accessible for the trip.

Since all my antennas go to the rear cargo area I used a mag-mount antenna on the 536. If I go permanent with the 536 I will use a Stridsberg and share one of the NMO antennas for the scanners.

Otherwise the radio layout remains the same as before. The Alinco DR-638 is used for 2M, 440 and GMRS as well as occasional railroad listening. The IC7000 is used mostly for HF listening or occasional 10M or 2M work. One XT is used mostly for CloseCall and the other for general scanning.

I am going to see how this works and evaluate whether I want to do this permanently or not.

Now for the pics:

Below is the general layout. The wiring will be cleaned up if this becomes a permanent solution. If it works out I will likely use 2 536's, replacing the rear RH-96 with a second 536 and keeping the forward 996/RH-96 for CloseCall.

This is the view from the driver's perspective:

3.jpg

Here is the view from the moonroof:
5.jpg

I always get asked about the antennas. Here is a view of the roof of the Pilot. At the far rear is a 10M Hamstick on a Diamond 400 mount on the liftgate. There are 4 NMO mounts in the corners, each with a dual-band antenna. The rear ones are on the Alinco and Icom, the forward ones on the 996XT's. Barely visible is the SpectrumForce magmount used on the 536, it appears better on the next shot.

ant2.jpg

From the front of the Pilot is another shot of the antennas:

Ant.jpg

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Nice temp setup! You should have plenty to listen to on the trip with all of that receiving power. Looks fun!

As a side note, the pics are huge, though; can you resize or is it too late for that since they're posted? I had to scroll back and forth even on the laptop to see them and read the text...

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
I had reduced the pics by 50%, I will try reducing them again and see if it changes.
(Update: I reduced the max width to 1200 pixels, that seems better!)

re: Ham plates: I just haven't gotten around to it yet, one of these days...

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Had a guy ask off-list about the garage. Yes, I can park sideways in there. Before we put in the cabinets along the edges I could actually pull in one door and out the other via a U-turn but now I have to make it a 3-point turn.

The door (8') and ceiling (11') are high enough so I don't hit my antennas and can open the lift gate even with the door closed. The garage was a huge (pun intended) selling point of this house.

sfd119

What are those slick looking black ones connected to your 996s?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Rich - you are probably aware, but if not, you can "daisy-chain" GPS. Could feed the single GPS to all the scanners FWIW.

N9JIG

Sheriff
What are those slick looking black ones connected to your 996s?

Comet SBB1-NMO dual band antennas. I found they work very well for VHF, UHF and 800. Not so much on low-band but there is not much around here. When I go into CA I swap in an A/S MON-51.

Last edited:

N9JIG

Sheriff
Rich - you are probably aware, but if not, you can "daisy-chain" GPS. Could feed the single GPS to all the scanners FWIW.

Yes, I in fact do that on the 996XT's. I built a cable to share a single GPS to multiple radios. The most I have done this for is 5, 4 scanners with DB-9's and an APRS capable dual band in a prior installation.

With this setup however the 536 is up front and the XT's are in the cargo area. It is easier for me to just pop in another GPS for the rear radios instead of running another cable up front. The puck just sits in the rear drink holder and the wire is run into the cargo area.

I had intended to reuse my old Garmin GPS3 but when I dug it out of the storage boxes I found I forgot to remove the batteries from it and they had leaked out. I also couldn't find the antenna for it. It is actually cheaper to buy another Uniden GPS puck than get the Garmin repaired and a replacement antenna.

Once I get the second Uniden GPS I will then have 4 different GPS receivers in the vehicle: The two Unidens, the dash cam and the nav system. Good thing I am not a paranoid conspiracy freak, I would be sure I was being followed by black helicopters and men in dark suits...

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I in fac
Once I get the second Uniden GPS I will then have 4 different GPS receivers in the vehicle: The two Unidens, the dash cam and the nav system. Good thing I am not a paranoid conspiracy freak, I would be sure I was being followed by black helicopters and men in dark suits...

That's all?!!!

Nav GPS, Scanner, 2 phones, Radar Detector, often an older Gamin running just for gpx tracks and/or Geocaching) a tablet with eastern US loaded for out of range of Cell detail and Topo, also have an old Garmin Nav unit stashed and not running for just in case.

But usually just one or 2 scanners and don't even bother with the Ham gear.

Temp Setup

I am leaving in a couple weeks for a trip across the country and I wanted to try out the 536 while traveling. I usually use a couple 996XT's but figured I would try this on the road and see if I want to replace my trusty XT's with 536's.

Since the 536 won't support remote heads and I don't consider Siren to be a viable option I decided to mount it up front for access instead of in the cargo area with the rest of the radios. I pulled out the two existing RH-96's and, using the shorter RH-96 bracket, mounted the 536 vertically on the center console. I built a cigar-lighter power cable with 3 coaxial power connectors, one for the 536 and 2 for the RH-96's, this is plugged in in the storage bin under the arm rest.

Since I want to use the GPS function I pulled out the Uniden GPS puck from the rear cargo area where it was connected to the 2 996XT's and repurposed it to the 536. Temporarily I have it connected to the dashboard cigar-lighter jack but will get a multi-plug adapter later this week. I will also grab another GPS puck to use on the 996XT's this week as well.

I then relocated the two RH-96's, one on the sliding door and the other behind the 536. I wanted to keep the cup holders accessible for the trip.

Since all my antennas go to the rear cargo area I used a mag-mount antenna on the 536. If I go permanent with the 536 I will use a Stridsberg and share one of the NMO antennas for the scanners.

Otherwise the radio layout remains the same as before. The Alinco DR-638 is used for 2M, 440 and GMRS as well as occasional railroad listening. The IC7000 is used mostly for HF listening or occasional 10M or 2M work. One XT is used mostly for CloseCall and the other for general scanning.

I am going to see how this works and evaluate whether I want to do this permanently or not.

Now for the pics:

Below is the general layout. The wiring will be cleaned up if this becomes a permanent solution. If it works out I will likely use 2 536's, replacing the rear RH-96 with a second 536 and keeping the forward 996/RH-96 for CloseCall.

This is the view from the driver's perspective:

3.jpg

Here is the view from the moonroof:
5.jpg

I always get asked about the antennas. Here is a view of the roof of the Pilot. At the far rear is a 10M Hamstick on a Diamond 400 mount on the liftgate. There are 4 NMO mounts in the corners, each with a dual-band antenna. The rear ones are on the Alinco and Icom, the forward ones on the 996XT's. Barely visible is the SpectrumForce magmount used on the 536, it appears better on the next shot.

ant2.jpg

From the front of the Pilot is another shot of the antennas:

Ant.jpg

Very nice and clean setup Rich :D.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Was it really necessary to "quote" all of those huge images in your reply? :confused:

Yes, that takes up quite a bit of bandwidth. Maybe a primer for the person who posted the (quoted) repeat images could be in order.

Just as a side note, Rich is a good friend of mine, and will be "in town," that is, in the Chicago Suburbs for about 10 days towards the end of this month and beginning of next month. He will be at the CARMA meeting on July 2nd at Stevens Restaurant in Woodridge. Everyone is invited to attend, no RSVP's necessary. Our private room seats approximately 60-80 people. The meeting notice will be posted on the Illinois specific forum within a week of the meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.