Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN) Knoxville Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack3726

Will be traveling in the area, this Tennessee Advanced Communications Network (TACN), if you look at counties around Knoxville from DB it shows allot of UHF-VHF and TACN. How do you know how much a county is using 1 versus the other or is it just by trial and error.

davewhall29

Premium Subscriber
Blount, Loudon & Roane are primarily using TACN for most traffic. Roane & Blount only use vhf/uhf for backup. Blount EMS & some of the county fire departments use uhf. Roane is strictly TACN. Loudon uses TACN for county sheriff & Lenoir City PD & FD. Loudon County EMS & all county FD, and Loudon City PD & FD use uhf. Knox Co. & Knox PD & FD use their trunk system and Knox County Fire & all EMS use uhf. Anderson (Oak Ridge) use uhf & OR trunk system, although Anderson has tested on TACN. Sevier has a complicated system using trunking systems as well as NEXEDGE & p25 digital. THP is strictly on TACN. Some of the TACN talk groups are encrypted full or part time and are marked accordingly. Hope this helps. If you have any county specific questions feel free to ask.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Knox County and Knoxville Fire agencies have shown interest in the TACN, at a recent convention/symposium so things may start tilting towards that direction. Especially as the current system in use there (Knox County/Knoxville TRS) is about to be EOL and loses support from Motorola in next 2 years.

wideone

Premium Subscriber
I am no longer receiving THP District 5 on my pro 197. I have tried by reading many posts to determine what has happened. I don't understand enough to know by what I read if i am simply missing the answer...or just lost as usual. Thanks.

n4yek

I am no longer receiving THP District 5 on my pro 197. I have tried by reading many posts to determine what has happened. I don't understand enough to know by what I read if i am simply missing the answer...or just lost as usual. Thanks.

They are still there, heard them this morning on my way to work.
Something must have changed with your setup.

jfhtm350

Where are you located?

wideone

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Bristol and after going back three saved files to one from August, they're back. No idea what happened, but thanks.

jaaredmond

Blount, Loudon & Roane are primarily using TACN for most traffic. Roane & Blount only use vhf/uhf for backup. Blount EMS & some of the county fire departments use uhf. Roane is strictly TACN. Loudon uses TACN for county sheriff & Lenoir City PD & FD. Loudon County EMS & all county FD, and Loudon City PD & FD use uhf. Knox Co. & Knox PD & FD use their trunk system and Knox County Fire & all EMS use uhf. Anderson (Oak Ridge) use uhf & OR trunk system, although Anderson has tested on TACN. Sevier has a complicated system using trunking systems as well as NEXEDGE & p25 digital. THP is strictly on TACN. Some of the TACN talk groups are encrypted full or part time and are marked accordingly. Hope this helps. If you have any county specific questions feel free to ask.

Knox County Fire agencies use VHF.
Knox County, Tennessee (TN) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

jaaredmond

Knox County and Knoxville Fire agencies have shown interest in the TACN, at a recent convention/symposium so things may start tilting towards that direction. Especially as the current system in use there (Knox County/Knoxville TRS) is about to be EOL and loses support from Motorola in next 2 years.

Though the TACN has proven to be an incredible system, Knox County and Knoxville have little to no interest in TACN.

They had the chance to host the system in the beginning and turned it down.

There are however a few agencies within Knox County that have talk groups on the TACN, most are encrypted and not used for primary coms.

Status
Not open for further replies.