Tennessee Highway Patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

krogers

Hello,

Tennessee is divided into 8 districts for The THP. I am in District 1 (Knoxville Post).

In years past 155.505 was a "repeater catch all". As it is now, there is noting and you can hear Dispatch on 42.56 but not the Troopers in the field.

My question is does anyone know the specifics on 72-76 range.

I have found the Radio Shack PRO-2006 offers these frequencies.

Can soemone enlighten me on how to receive both sides of transmission and where I can but a PRO-2006 or unit taht receives in 72-76 range?

Thanks,

Keith

keithrogers@comcast.net

FLRAILMAN

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
THP Freq's

Welcome to radioreference Keith, if it's anything radio, you will find it here. I checked the Tenneessee State database & it appears that everything you need to know is already in there, if you have not found the answer you seek there, try the Tennessee State forum & I'm quite sure a local member could provide you with any updates on the THP communications system. Pro-2006 scanners are pretty much available on ebay all the time, however we have our own for sale forum & I've always bought & sold equipment on it with very little fear of being ripped off or scammed as the buyers & sellers are members here, if you need reassurance, read the buyer & seller reviews, remember: Caveat Emptor. Good luck & happy scanning.

FLRAILMAN

Last edited:

FLRAILMAN

Banned
Thp

When he goes on the Tenneessee State site, he has to use the left side pull-down menu & click on THP, very hard to find if you're not looking for it, requires a little rooting around on the main page.

FLRAILMAN

CStarr59

FLRAILMAN, Wow I never noticed that pull-down menu before. I was able to uncover several new state police frequencies with that bit of info. Thank You!

n4yek

My question is does anyone know the specifics on 72-76 range.

In district 1, the frequency of 72.58 MHz would be what you would want to monitor the Troopers. That is a repeater link back to dispatch.
To hear both sides, just enter in both freqs, 42.56 & 72.58 and then you can follow the conversation.

Vermontradio1966

Banned
Lowband info

I am currently working in Knoxville and can tell you that 42.56 does both dispatch and mobile. Their is also some occaisional 45.70 and 45.58 repeater traffic. As you get away from the K-ville area, it seems that 42.26 is used for talk in rather than same freq talk-in. i still have not figured that one out. Why do some areas have same freq talk in and others have off-set 42.26 low-band talk in??? Going into Jefferson County it switches to 42.42 (Fall Branch district) and 42.26 is used always for talk-in. I have heard some 42.36 car-to-car action when they are chit-chating. Once in awhile I hear 158.730 high band talk.

n4yek

Why do some areas have same freq talk in and others have off-set 42.26 low-band talk in???
Because they are too far away from Dispatch to receive reliably. They will use the 42.26 freq to talk to the repeater then the repeater talks back to dispatch on 72MHz, this is the link freq for the repeaters.
Going into Jefferson County it switches to 42.42 (Fall Branch district) and 42.26 is used always for talk-in.

If you listen to 72.02 MHz, you will be able to hear the troopers for District 5 (Fall Branch) when they are replying to the dispatcher.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Technically more of a relay (remote receiver) but Danny is right, you hear it far better than the mobiles. Same in Chattanooga. Still, if you hear traffic on 42.26 time to slow down......

hulio

Premium Subscriber
What is the frequencies for the Chattanooga, Cleveland area. I havent tuned the THP in. It seems that it used to be 42.42. There is a repeater on Bean Mountain in Polk county. What do you input for both sides of the conversation? There is ALOT of frequencies on RR that doesnt work here in the Chatt Cleve area.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
What is the frequencies for the Chattanooga, Cleveland area. I havent tuned the THP in. It seems that it used to be 42.42. There is a repeater on Bean Mountain in Polk county. What do you input for both sides of the conversation? There is ALOT of frequencies on RR that doesnt work here in the Chatt Cleve area.

I think the relay (repeater) frequency for Polk Co. THP mobiles back to the Chattanooga post is 72.78mhz.

acepilot340

I recently went on a roadtrip through Tennessee along I-24 from KY-GA and I didn't hear a PEEP the whole time, but saw PLENTY of troopers pulling people over so theres a problem somewhere.

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
No problem, many now choose to use their MDT to report a traffic stop or check on scene. Keeps air traffic down. You do have to be reasonably close to them to hear the mobile unit though.

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I recently went on a roadtrip through Tennessee along I-24 from KY-GA and I didn't hear a PEEP the whole time, but saw PLENTY of troopers pulling people over so theres a problem somewhere.

When you are in the Nashville district on I-24, eastbound toward GA., the Nashville district uses 42.36 mhz. After you leave Rutherford Co. and come into Coffee Co. the troopers use 42.26 mhz to talk to the base in Chattanooga and the base replies on 42.42 mhz. They used to have a repeater on the fire tower at St. Andrews (close to Monteagle) on 72.86 mhz, but have heard nothing from it for years. Speculation is that the relay (repeater) was moved to a microwave frequency and that scanners cannot receive it. Same thing with the relay (repeater) in Murfreesboro, (Nashville district), which was on 452.275 mhz, but nothing hear nothing from it now. I do hear some Chattanooga troopers on 72.78 mhz, either from the relay in Polk Co. or the Dunlap/Jasper area.

Status
Not open for further replies.