• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Termination Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
So in the picture attached is the setup my FD has been using for many years as a base/paging system. After doing some asking around about what that little black box on top of the pile is used for, no one had a clue what it does or why it is even there. It is wired in, but being bypassed as you can see the mic is plugged directly into the radio.

After doing some research I found out the item is either a DC Termination Panel or a Tone Termination Panel. I don't have the exact model number in front of me. I am still no further ahead as to what it does exactly, and why we are bypassing it...

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20210612_232658.jpg
    20210612_232658.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

KevinC

Junior Radio Guru
Super Moderator
That radio probably used to go to a console at one point and the box was needed as the interface between the two.

Or it had a remote in another office/room if it's a DC remote adapter.

12dbsinad

That Black box allows for remote control of the radio (TX/RX). It's similar to a tone remote adapter only with more limited functions as it sends current instead of tones to tell the radio what to do.

At one point there had to been a console or a DC handset in other parts of the station that was tied to that, or at least plans to.

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
Thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it.

Apparently it's been there for many years, unused. Perhaps it's from years ago when the department would do their own dispatching. No one seems to know.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
If you disconnect the RJ11 (Telco) jack on the back of it, (And no one complains!) it definitely is no longer used. If you really wanted to do some housekeeping, you could trace the control ckt and identify if it was in-house or leased line. If leased, see if you can find a ckt # and have it removed from billing. (Agencies have paid for abandoned ckts for years. Don't ask me how I know)

Deziel0495

PE/NB Database Guy
Database Admin
If you disconnect the RJ11 (Telco) jack on the back of it, (And no one complains!) it definitely is no longer used. If you really wanted to do some housekeeping, you could trace the control ckt and identify if it was in-house or leased line. If leased, see if you can find a ckt # and have it removed from billing. (Agencies have paid for abandoned ckts for years. Don't ask me how I know)

The CSI Micropatch 9800D is definitely still used, that is how dispatch pages us, through a phone line. The black box on very top is still connected, just not being utilized and has not been for many years.

NVAGVUP

Feed Provider
The CSI Micropatch 9800D is definitely still used, that is how dispatch pages us, through a phone line. The black box on very top is still connected, just not being utilized and has not been for many years.
Understood. I was referring to the RJ11 on back of termination panel.

consys

Premium Subscriber

Yeah... great comment. I don't have to ask why:)

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
Possible uses may have been a desktop-phone-looking unit on the desk in the chief's office, or maybe in a squad room. Just to expand on what 12dbsinad said.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Double check what is connected to the CPI box, and which ports, it could be an interface between the micropatch and the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.