Terms and phrases

Status
Not open for further replies.

evedropper

Premium Subscriber
Greetings to listeners of the airwaves. In the last couple days I have really become interested in scanners and Ham radios mostly due to the fires here in southern California. I am trying to learn as much as I can about my scanner (pro-2096) and how to program it for my area. Several years ago I bought it and a neighbor set it up for me and the area I lived in. After a time it got packed away (various reasons) and with the onset of the fires I unpacked it and plugged it in ready with the manual to set it up to "evedrop" on the happenings for safety and just plain curiosity. Alas it was not so easy (all channels locked out) however in my search to figure out how to program it I found this vast wealth of information here at RadioReference.com. Even with the information I have found here I find myself struggling with understanding some of the terms and phrases associated with setting up my scanner. The glossary in my new ARRL Ham Radio Licence Manual helped but there are still some terms/phrases I am having trouble grasping for example channel vs talk group and tone mode (for some reason the usage makes me think it has a different meaning the the dictionary version of a vocal sound). So I am hoping to get some direction on where to find this type of information. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

ecps92

Channel - typically used for Conventional Systems
Talk Group - is a Channel, but in a Trunked system
Tone = PL / DPL aka CTCSS / DCS and in P25 they are called NACs
Mode = FM - normal scanner mode, NFM - Narrrow , if you scanner has that mode, otherwise FM will work

Amateur terms, will vary when compared to Scanner terms

Greetings to listeners of the airwaves. In the last couple days I have really become interested in scanners and Ham radios mostly due to the fires here in southern California. I am trying to learn as much as I can about my scanner (pro-2096) and how to program it for my area. Several years ago I bought it and a neighbor set it up for me and the area I lived in. After a time it got packed away (various reasons) and with the onset of the fires I unpacked it and plugged it in ready with the manual to set it up to "evedrop" on the happenings for safety and just plain curiosity. Alas it was not so easy (all channels locked out) however in my search to figure out how to program it I found this vast wealth of information here at RadioReference.com. Even with the information I have found here I find myself struggling with understanding some of the terms and phrases associated with setting up my scanner. The glossary in my new ARRL Ham Radio Licence Manual helped but there are still some terms/phrases I am having trouble grasping for example channel vs talk group and tone mode (for some reason the usage makes me think it has a different meaning the the dictionary version of a vocal sound). So I am hoping to get some direction on where to find this type of information. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

teufler

if you are wantingh to listen right now, and you havn't got the time to brush up on terms and language yet, Try www,broadcastify.com . You have a computer so with this you can listen anywhere in the US or easily cover what is happening in Southern California. I have listen to the fire coverage a few times, and I am in the middle of the US.

evedropper

Premium Subscriber
Wow, thank you for taking the time to read my post and respond. All of the posts have helped. The definitions, glossary and the links provided are exactly the information. And help I was looking for. Thanks again.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Talk Group - is a Channel, but in a Trunked system

A talkgroup is a specific assignment on a trunked system, analogous to a channel in a conventional system.

That said, many users wrongly call a talkgroup a channel, as that is the terminology they are used to using. (Like how some people call the TV remote control a clicker, despite the "clicker" technology being long gone.)

Sent via Tapatalk

ecps92

Correct, in a TRS it is a TG, users still call it a channel, since it is the Channel knob they use to change TG's. Some folks don't even know they are on a trunk either, it's a radio :)

A talkgroup is a specific assignment on a trunked system, analogous to a channel in a conventional system.

That said, many users wrongly call a talkgroup a channel, as that is the terminology they are used to using. (Like how some people call the TV remote control a clicker, despite the "clicker" technology being long gone.)

Sent via Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.