• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Terrorist cell in Miami / Planned to bomb the Sears Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoser147

Dont know if it will ever stop. alot of these people have fought as long as history goes back. Glad they are get them thats more intelligence to stop them before they do get successful and kill and injure a lot of people.
hoser147

Last edited:

Jay911

Forgive this ignorant foreigner, but is there a Sears Tower in Miami that I don't know about? Granted, you can plan in one place and go act it out in another locale, but the initial statement makes about as much sense as going to Hamburg to take out Big Ben.:confused:

mike_webb59

Methinks that they're staging in Southen locales not only for the better weather and lower real estate costs, but also of being able to "fit in" and get support from their cultural community without attracting too much attention. Where did the 9/11 attackers get most of their flight training?

Napalm

That story is a non story... The informant said they "discussed" bombing the sears tower.

There's actually no hard facts in that report. Everything is "informant" this and "sources" that.

BS.

N

N_Jay

Napalm said:
That story is a non story... The informant said they "discussed" bombing the sears tower.

There's actually no hard facts in that report. Everything is "informant" this and "sources" that.

BS.

Arrests we made, so someone somewhere has sufficient evidence to believe they can prove the case.

I was a bit surprised to hear that with an informant in the inside they did not wait longer to get more hard evidence (like the actual purchase of bomb making supplies.)

Mozilla

Terrosim Plot

Napalm said:
BS.
Thank you Mr Terrosim Expert.... first off, I'm sure you drew your conclusions from your vast knowledge of the the local groups in our area, and also from the inside intelligence briefs. Certainly not from a few media reports, as the the case is still unfolding and more will be revealed and discovered as time goes on. Secondly, apparently a Federal judge felt there was enough to issue warrants among other things.
These individuals may have seemed a little delusional and may not have had the immediate means to carry out an act, but for one they believed they where going to coordinate and work in conjuction with AQ to do an attack... so why would they not be of interest. Yes, this will probably be more of a case of misguided, chest thumping, rhetoric spewing individuals, but I believe you'll find they would carry out the deed if they had help or the means.
There will be some press conferences today, and more info later...
After some of those come out, we MAY be able to say ok, probably nothing, but even the early information indicates these guys could/ would do harm... and yes you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but a great majority would rather get them in the planning stages
than later, or after the fact. I'm sure some of your commuters who are no longer with us would agree.

Mozilla

Miami group

Heres a PDF of the indictment, and for those that don't know the inner workins there is probably additional information that was not presented or withheld for various reasons.

Attachments

N_Jay said:
I was a bit surprised to hear that with an informant in the inside they did not wait longer to get more hard evidence (like the actual purchase of bomb making supplies.)
How do you know he didnt? Maybe they did buy some and the government is holding that in order to keep people from getting ideas for things they could use to make their own bombs. After all, the more time a terrorist has to plot things on his own instead of copying someone else is more time the Feds have to catch him before he acts.

MacombMonitor

It sounds like this story was blown way out of proportion. Theses guys definitely had bad intentions, but that's about it! They didn't even have a camera, not even a car! Not much of anything else either.

JoeyC

MacombMonitor said:
It sounds like this story was blown way out of proportion. Theses guys definitely had bad intentions, but that's about it! They didn't even have a camera, not even a car! Not much of anything else either.
Give them the benefit of the doubt and act after the deaths occur eh?

JHaislet

While the feds may have had someone inside, waiting until the plan takes better shape isn't always an option. Their inside informant could have been "made", the group could have been getting extremely paranoid, preparing to disperse and travel up north, ect…who knows.

However, I'm sure they had good reasons to spring the trap sooner, rather than later...some of the reasons will probably never be publicly released. It's always easy to Monday-morning quarterback law enforcement decisions. Given the info they had at the time, the actions made were probably for the best. :roll:

MacombMonitor

JoeyC said:
Give them the benefit of the doubt and act after the deaths occur eh?
Why do you say that? I wasn't implying that we shouldn't have taken them down, or that they were not a threat. I'm talking about how big the story was. When it first aired, you would have thought we found a big cache of weapons of mass destruction, and Bin Laden himself!

I think the hype in the story had a lot to do with what was going on at the time with the Democrats, and Republicans, and what to do about Iraq.

Mozilla

Terrorism

Sorry about the mispell.. was typing while waiting in hallway.... and don't take as an insult.. trust me when I tell you usually there is more to these stories ;}
My area seems to be the growing grounds fo the maniacs, morons, and the just truly stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.