Test Firmware for DMR OFT and Band Plan Issue logging

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
This is not an official release, and no one needs to use it (other than those who want to check against the specific issues addressed). It is for testing/checking. Once we get results from this, we will release an actual update at some point.

This specifically is in regards to the threads at http://forums.radioreference.com/un...ceived-until-analyze-mode-entered-exited.html and the posts mixed into the thread at http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/337355-dmr-public-release.html regarding slow DMR One-Frequency Trunking scanning. I'll put "pointer" posts in those threads so that replies can move here.

Firmware files are at:
BCD536HP TEST FIRMWARE 1.11.21
BCD436HP TEST FIRMWARE 1.11.21

Install by copying the appropriate bin file to your scanner's firmware folder then cycling power.

DMR OFT scan speed should be more comparable to programming in conventional mode.

For the other issue (band plan not populating), we need a log file in a different format. This firmware creates the kind of log file we need. Use the instructions I provided in the other thread to create a log and attach it to this thread.

N0BDW

Here is what I've done.

I'm at the fire hall so I performed this on the 536 here. I had not previously generated a diagnostic from this particular scanner, but it exhibits the same behavior as all of the rest of them.

I installed the firmware and shut the scanner off.
I powered the scanner up while holding AVOID.
This is the only system in the scanner, so it automatically begins monitoring it.
I turned logging to the SD card on, and then resumed scanning.
After about a minute I turned logging off. This generated the FIREHALL-BEFORE log.
Then I turned logging back on and entered analyze mode.
Then I went back to scanning for about a minute.
Then I turned logging off. This generated the FIREHALL-AFTER log.

In FIREHALL-AFTER we would be able to hear transmissions. In FIREHALL-BEFORE we would not.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can test to help track this down.

Attachments

• Uniden Diagnostics.zip
    46.1 KB · Views: 83

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Regarding OFT...

The firmware seems to be working well. I have the 436 scanning conventional and the 536 scanning with OFT. They are working well together. Not really seeing them have the same hits at the same time, but the OFT is definitely hearing more traffic. I would say it's got to be near 80% better than it was.

A little background: Before moving to the test firmware, I went back to having several systems in one FL and one site per system with several frequencies. Also one department with all the TGID's for said system.

So far, so good on my end,

Thank you Uniden...

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
To clear up the "proper" way to do this, for a single location conventional multi-frequency user should we be doing once frequency per site or one site with multiple frequencies? I know there was some discussion but what is the "official" correct way?

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
New firmware works just fine. I did notice on P25 simulcast system I am know getting a lot more traffic. I never did try the analyze before this version to see if that was the issue as I had chalked it up to simulcast and the wonders of reception. I did have a similar issue with the simulcast system a few revisions back where it would stop getting traffic and a I would power cycle to resume. After a newer revision I was always getting somewhat sporadic traffic on the simulcast site and constant on the non simulcast sites. Tonight they seem equal

RRR

Premium Subscriber
What about the 996P2 and 396P2 issues?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Different scanner models, not relevant to this thread.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Go back and re-read post #1, particularly the labels on the firmware download links.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Go back and re-read post #1, particularly the labels on the firmware download links.

I see it....

Now, "What about the 396 and 996 P2 issues?"

Completely relevant, they have the same issues, and could use the same FW.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
I ran a test with my 128-channel test systems. No significant difference noted with the new firmware.

Link to video:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=EDA3...92!40242&parId=EDA3C678E94B4892!38294&o=OneUp

I would agree that there seems to be no significant difference in scan speed. But, whatever they did allows me to hear more using OTF systems.

When things quieted down last night, I was actually getting hits on both 436 (conventional) and 536 (OTF) at the same time. On another note, I was having an issue where system TGID's would show in systems where they did not belong. I logged both scanners with ProScan after the firmware was installed to see what was going on. Upon review this morning, all the TGID's seem to match the respective systems. Maybe just coincidence.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Now, "What about the 396 and 996 P2 issues?"

Completely relevant, they have the same issues, and could use the same FW.

When Uniden posts updates for those models, I'm sure UPMan will create a thread for those updates just like this one, and the firmware issues with those scanners can be discussed there.

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I hope so too.

And I hope it will be titled appropriately as well.

mrkelso

OK UP i didi the beta update

Hearing a little more then before the update. What i am hearing seems clearer. As for the other problems i will check when i get back from my next run. But so far so good.

N0BDW

To add: I have three other 536 units that I can run this test on if desired. I'll see if my friend with a 436 who also monitors this system can do the same.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
My test so far shows it still missing comms. The test was this:
A 6 repeater (Frequency) system. 6 sites, 1 Frequency per site. Set color code correctly for each. Hold on a talkgroup I want to hear. Monitored with a radio side by side to know when there are comms on my group. Still missing beginnings and even entire transmissions. This is off season for this entity so there isn't much of anything on the other frequencies to get hung on except some data occasionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
All 6 repeaters carry the same traffic? If not, they should be set up as different systems (otherwise you'll miss beginnings and even entire transmissions while the scanner is checking for traffic on the held talk group on towers other than the one the radio traffic is actually carried on).

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
All 6 repeaters carry the same traffic? If not, they should be set up as different systems (otherwise you'll miss beginnings and even entire transmissions while the scanner is checking for traffic on the held talk group on towers other than the one the radio traffic is actually carried on).

No each repeater is independent and carries one group per slot. 6 frequencies which make up 12 static logical "channels" in the radio. Groups do ever move from their frequency/slot.

I will try multiple systems and test again. Thank you.

Phillipsc84

Premium Subscriber
Upman, I also noticed something on a trunked system (non p25 Motorola type2) that maybe could be discussed in a separate thread if not part of this firmware. It looked like possibly patching of talk groups was being recognized? I noticed with this firmware that with ID search on I held on a talk group (10576) and was hearing comms from a group that was patched with it (10544). The screen showed TG: 10576 10544 when comms were received. I verified the comms were on group 10544 but I was hearing them when held on 10576. Is this maybe a hint that patch following is coming? Please move this to another thread if needed so I don't derail this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.