test gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormchsr101

ok, now that im set to go on here, i was wondering if anyone remembers an old piece of test gear?
not that im looking to buy it but back in the mid and late 60s when i was just getting the bug for radio, i remember going into a cb radio shop and got to know the guy who owned the place. this sparked an interest in radios in me. i wanted to start fixing ham and cb rigs. i have a lot of gear to this day but i remember a large signal generator which he told me cost back then, about 4500 bucks. it appeared to be about a foot wide, just over a foot high and maybe 20 inches deep. had a nixie tube readout more towards the bottom and 2 deviation meters on either side of the top. looked like a black face to me as i recall. seemed that the freq. was controlled by switches that had a stepped click rather than continuous tuning such as a logimetrics 925. does this ring a bell at all in anyones mind? please let me know. its a piece of trivia that im trying to place. thanks all, dave.
P.S. this rig didnt have all the entire freqs. seemed like he told me it was more for the 11 meter stuff. it was a behemoth as i remember. must have weighed in at close to a hundred lbs. i know they were spendy at the time. had a xtal oven and was so accurate at the time, you could as he said "split cycles" with it.
thanks all.

W2PMX

I seem to recall what you're talking about. The frequency was variable, but locked into the presets on the knobs. (Kind of like a PLL generator.) Lavoie? LA70A? (I'm pulling this out of a very old memory bank, so I may be off by more than 100%.)

W2NJS

Do a search for "service monitor" on eBay and you'll come up with a lot of photos of similar units. A couple of Cushman monitors had the black frequency click switches but most had the see-through red windows with backlights.

This site, found on Google, has the Lavoie unit you mention listed but I didn't dig into the site to see where it is:

Lavoie LA70A - Google Search

stormchsr101

cushman

thanks. it may just be a cush. i cant seem to find any pics of the ce2. others seem to have the same features of what i was remembering. ill keep looking. thanks again. much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.