Testing - if, when, where

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewg84

I’m getting back into amateur radio after a 20-ish year hiatus, and starting on the bottom again at Tech until I work out all the cobwebs and dust in the brain. A lot has changed, and a lot of new tech that I was not involved in during the 90’s where I lived (DMR, etc.). However, testing has hung me up.

With all the restrictions on crowd size, travel, etc. testing exams are beginning to become hard to find. I’ve run through the upcoming dates in the ARRL website, but after contacting a few, many are postponing, cancelling, or unknown if the testing will take place. I know remote testing is a hot (and thorny) topic as of late, but are there any groups/clubs with VE’s that have considered one on one exams or small groups with registration required ahead of time to control size and not elevate the risk and/or break the group size guideline?

I live in SE Iowa and am willing to travel a reasonable distance if need be.

WB0VHB

There used to be testing in Washington. AB0DX Mark Lukins was in charge. Not sure how they're handling things now?
You could try sending him an email at abodx@arrl.net
If that fails, post back here and I'll try and get you in contact with someone.

drewg84

There used to be testing in Washington. AB0DX Mark Lukins was in charge. Not sure how they're handling things now?
You could try sending him an email at abodx@arrl.net
If that fails, post back here and I'll try and get you in contact with someone.

‘I’ve been able to get in contact with Mark, and their next exam in May is up in the air right now.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
This has already been discussed in a recent thread. The ARRL VEC is trying to find solutions, but has nothing to offer now. The Anchorage VEC has done remote testing. However, this required a VE at the remote site. Not possible right now. Ironically, up to 1978 there was a "Conditional" license test that could be taken by mail with two licensed operators to supervise it. It was offered to people who could not travel to an FCC office for testing. It was equivalent to a General.

drewg84

This has already been discussed in a recent thread. The ARRL VEC is trying to find solutions, but has nothing to offer now. The Anchorage VEC has done remote testing. However, this required a VE at the remote site. Not possible right now. Ironically, up to 1978 there was a "Conditional" license test that could be taken by mail with two licensed operators to supervise it. It was offered to people who could not travel to an FCC office for testing. It was equivalent to a General.

Thanks, I had read through the threads on remote testing and the hoopla surrounding it, and that’s why I was staying away from it, and wasn’t asking about it.

My inquiry was directed towards in-person testing options that may have been getting considered locally here in Iowa that I hadn’t come across yet. I took a quick scroll through the recent Iowa forum thread and didn’t see anything just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.