Testing sessions still occurring during shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needairtime

I suppose anyone who just passed Element 2 in the last few weeks are stuck without a license and in limbo :(

Are VECs/VE teams still operating and just queuing up a whole big pile of applications?

But anyway, not sure why HRO hasn't changed their new ham welcome message to instead indicate that the FCC is also shutdown with the federal government.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
They should run as usual.. Processing will be delayed. If you have the CSCE you can use your new privileges using the /AG

d119

Back when I passed my Technician test, I got stuck waiting for my callsign in the government shutdown of December, 1995. It was like forever waiting for the FCC to reopen. But back then, ham radio was MUCH different.

k6cpo

I don't know about other VECs, but the one I work for is continuing to conduct exam sessions. I have two sessions scheduled for later this month.

needairtime

Okay, I feel for those who are waiting for the shutdown to end, though fortunately FCC is pretty fast once it's opened. I was just wondering about the queuing and backlog since usually there are hundreds of people who get licensed every week...

But it seems it's nothing new so carry on :)

(Thanks for the concerns, I just hope there's no shutdown come renewal time... Fortunately, I don't think I need to test anymore unless it's for a GROL or something...)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I was just wondering about the queuing and backlog since usually there are hundreds of people who get licensed every week.
The FCC processes licenses by computer. Once the data input file is prepared by the VECs (who do most of the FCC's work for them when it comes to amateur radio licenses), they send it to the FCC who then shoves the data into the computer. It shouldn't take long once the "machine" starts running again.

ecps92

To: ve-list <ve-list@arrl.org>

ARRL VE Newsletter January 2019
GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN and EXAM MAKER UPDATE

========================================================================

Inside this VE E-Newsletter:

Government Shutdown Impacts License Applications
CORES/FRN Registration remains available

========================================================================

Summary: Government Shutdown Impacts Amateur Radio License Applications

According to the FCC public notice statement: Aside from a few emergency and auction filing systems, all other Commission electronic filing systems will be unavailable to the public until normal agency operations resume.

Therefore, the FCC is not processing any Amateur license applications during the shutdown which includes individual, club, and exam session (new and upgrade) applications.

The FCC CORES registration system is one of the few systems that remains available to the public and is not affected by the shutdown. Applicants can still register in CORES and be assigned an FCC Registration Number (FRN). FCC Registration System

Additionally, information included in the FCC public notice outlined how licenses that will expire while the FCC is closed will be handled. If a license has just expired or is about to expire, the ham can file the renewal application and continue to operate while the FCC is closed. The filed application will remain in limbo until the FCC is back to work. If the Amateur waits until the FCC reopens, then they will have two days to submit the renewal before their license is considered expired in the FCC database.

The FCC public notice did not specifically address licenses that had expired and were near the end of the 2-year grace period other than to state, “We are not automatically extending the deadlines, but we will consider whether it is appropriate to do so once normal operations resume.”

Web News Story: Amateur Radio Applications in Limbo as Partial Shutdown Continues
The FCC is not processing any Amateur Radio applications as the partial government shutdown approaches its fourth week. The FCC suspended "most operations" at mid-day on Thursday, January 3, although an appearance of activity continues. For radio amateurs, the shutdown means that, while the Universal Licensing System (ULS) continues to accept applications for all valid purposes, the FCC will not review or act upon them until the funding stalemate is resolved. This includes Volunteer Examiner Coordinator test session batch files as well as modification, renewal, and vanity call sign applications filed by individual licensees. Amateur Radio newcomers who have passed the required examinations will have to wait until the shutdown concludes to receive a call sign and authorization to operate. License upgrades are also on hold.
"Due to a lapse in funding, the operations of the Federal Communications Commission will be limited with no system support. We regret any inconvenience," the FCC says on the ULS home page. This means very limited human intervention while the shutdown continues, and if a system breaks down, it will not be repaired until after employees are back on the payroll. At this point, 262 of 1,437 FCC employees (excepting contractors) remain on the job, as are FCC Commissioners.
The Antideficiency Act prohibits FCC and other federal employees from working until funds are available to pay them; they may not even volunteer, check their email, or attend meetings. While the law doesn't directly affect FCC automated filing databases, some of these cannot operate without regular human intervention.
The Commission has emphasized that it will undertake any activities necessary for the protection of life and property during the funding lapse. That includes the High Frequency Direction Finding (HFDF) Center in Maryland, considered essential.
The FCC website remains up, and the FCC Daily Digest of its activity continues to be posted, but the website is not being updated, and the only items it contains are those related to spectrum auctions, activity that is funded through auction proceeds, not government funds. The Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS) will also accept posts, but filings will not be reviewed or processed until after normal operations return.
The FCC spelled out the overall impact of the funding lapse in a January 2 Public Notice. Using available funds, the agency was able to maintain a business-as-usual posture until that date. The FCC released an updated Plan for Orderly Shutdown Due to Lapse of Congressional Appropriations on January 9. The resumption of normal operations will also be announced on the FCC's website.

For further information, please see the ARRL news items on the website:
01/10/2019 Amateur Radio Applications in Limbo as Partial Shutdown Continues
01/02/2019 FCC Outlines Impact on its Operations of Potential Funding Lapse

needairtime

Heard on the radio that the FCC has resumed operations so people who got their CSCEs will get their licenses/upgrades/etc. real soon now...

Though don't know what will happen in another two weeks...

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Heard on the radio that the FCC has resumed operations so people who got their CSCEs will get their licenses/upgrades/etc. real soon now...

Though don't know what will happen in another two weeks...

According to the ARRL, all/most were going to be processed by yesterday, 1/31. Mine from 1/6 did in fact go through around midnight yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.