Teton County Jackson Hole Area Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I will be in Jackson Hole next week to meet with the builders and was hoping someone might have some tips and tricks (and maybe frequencies) for the Teton county area. This forum doesn't seem to be so active. I have done some research with the FCC ULS granted licenses, CityFreq, interceptradio and also found an excellent and very comprehensive frequency listing by Lightning Leo (altho has not been updated since 2003)

Any other links, advice, or suggestions for JH Teton area would be very much appreciated - thanks!

We will be permanent residents by this time next year!

JD
kf4anc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Thanks very much for this! Exactly what I was needing!

I will monitor and add to it if I can, probably not this weekender but soon. Next spring/summer we will be living at the site in our RV overseeing the finishing touches and I will have much more time to invest in monitoring and volunteering information to the database.

Again, thank you very much!

JD
kf4anc

Paysonscanner

update and advised as you monitor send back changes as I will be out there in july
AA2AS

I've been looking over your excellent Teton County paper line by line. I'm now on page 13 and am trying to get 2 pages a day. I'm busy here getting the house/cars/etc. ready for winter. If we get another storm like last February some preparations are needed. I have a lot of more current information that can improve what you have. Some of it from 2019 frequency directories. I will write something up when I complete my review.

In the meantime I can give you updated information on Grand Teton NP's ranger districts. I will post a map below. I took guesses at the unit numbering given your information and the map. First of all, the Jenny Lake Ranger District covers the west side of the park, from the west boundary of the parkway all the way down to the Teton Village and ski area on the Bridger-Teton NF. It covers the highest portion of the park and most of its wilderness. It has the most SAR's because of the high interest in climbing the park's highest peaks and the Teton Crest trail. The Snake River Ranger District covers all of the Snake River after it exits Jackson Lake. The Rockefeller Parkway is part of the Colter Bay Ranger District, which also includes Jackson Lake. There are only 5 ranger stations and 2 entrance stations on the park's map. So here's my SWAG (scientific wild a** guess) at it,

407-419 Fire Units park wide
420-429 Jenny Lake Ranger District - South or possibly the Frontcountry (non wilderness) Sub-district. Ranger station is likely at Jenny Lake, where all the district's personnel work out of or at the ranger station at the Rockefeller Preserve, but that reserve may have a visitor center/ranger station of its own.
430-435 Snake River Ranger District. I think all the personnel work out of a ranger district office at the park HQ. This is the only district with entrance stations so,
440-449 Fee management function of the Snake River District
450 Your list shows this is the North district ranger, but there aren't any units under this position.
At this point it should be noted there are 3 districts, none of which are named "North or South."
460-467 Snake River Ranger District for sure. There isn't a ranger station at Buffalo Fork and only a entrance station at Moran Junction with no residences, which protection rangers have to live in. There is a school with a warehouse/garage and some residences in the same compound. I think these are for school staff, not NPS. If the sub-district exists then they likely work out of the park HQ. Given the number of river rangers shown it is safe to say that this is the Snake River Ranger District.
470-479 Colter Bay Ranger District. The ranger station is in the Jackson Lake Lodge/Colter Bay area. The lake patrol units match the jurisdiction of the lake being on this ranger district.
480-487 Rockefeller Parkway. There is a ranger station at Flagg Ranch, but the parkway is shown as part of the Colter Bay Ranger District on the map. It might be a sub-district of the Jenny Lake district.
490-499 I think 490 handles more than permits and might be head of a SAR unit for the Jenny Lake Ranger District, but that doesn't completely match. It could be the Jenny Lake north sub-district, but not with Berry Creek, which is at the south end of the park, rangers shown in this number series. Having 4 EMT's matches up with all the SAR's in the high country that involve a lot of EMS cases. 490 might handle a lot of special use permits and wilderness permits for outfitting and guiding in the park's wilderness. If you hear this position talking on the radio, much of the traffic is likely special use and wilderness permit related.

As for what you show as a "Gros Ventre" Sub-district, the Gros Ventre (notice it is "Gros" not "Gross") mountains and the Gros Ventre Wilderness Area is located east of the park south and east of Moose and Jackson. The Gros Ventre River, north and west sides are in the park with the opposite shore in the National Elk Refuge. Could it be the south sub-district of the Snake River District?

Lot's of speculation. My late husband and I have taken some trips in the area. The best was hiking to a place in the Teton Wilderness on the Bridger-Teton National Forest called "Two Ocean Creek." The creek flows down a drainage to meet a divide between two large meadows. The creek then splits into two creeks, Pacific and Atlantic, each eventually headed to the respective oceans. It's a bit tough to draw the exact line of the Continental Divide here. As a civil engineer my husband had this high on his need to do list. We had our roll out solar panels on our backpacks and used a Bendix-King handheld (a true brick!) as a scanner as we couldn't recharge our BC-200 scanner's propiatarial battery. We loved to poke around the frontcountry in the area as well. Some interesting radio traffic, especially Grand Teton NP. We could hear air to ground and tactical traffic for SAR missions given the "seen area" that the Teton Range has.

Now here is the map of the park's ranger districts,

Oops, I'm having computer problems with downloading the map. I have files on my own computer, an external hard drive that my husband shared and combined with another California scanner nerd's info. I'm so lame at computers.

Last edited:

Paysonscanner

Third try,

Attachments

• 2019 Grand Teton NP Ranger Districts.pdf
    590.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

Paysonscanner

I don't know why I wrote the second sentence in this, "480-487 Rockefeller Parkway. There is a ranger station at Flagg Ranch, but the parkway is shown as part of the Colter Bay Ranger District on the map. It might be a sub-district of the Jenny Lake district." Disregard the sentence in bold.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The RRDB is pretty accurate for Teton county. Public safety is still conventional with some migration to WyoLink. Winter the area isn't very accurate as there is little park activity. There is a new NXDN system that covers the area and YNP/GTNP that needs some DB help, but its mostly transportation stuff in the ID/WY/MT arae

Status
Not open for further replies.