TETRA Airwave

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy404ns

Hello UK friends,

I'll be traveling to London on business for several weeks in September and wanted to do some monitoring. I saw in the DB that the London Police no longer use their MOT II system and are now on the national TETRA Airwave system. However, I did not see that system listed in the DB. Is it available anywhere? What type of system is it? Also, is there a way to monitor the MPT-1327 systems that seem to be prevelant in your area? I did a search and read something about a program you can download but I'm not sure how to use it in conjunction with a scanner.

A final question - London Fire and EMS are listed as being on conventional channels. Is this still the case?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Comint

Premium Subscriber
Hello UK friends,

I'll be traveling to London on business for several weeks in September and wanted to do some monitoring. I saw in the DB that the London Police no longer use their MOT II system and are now on the national TETRA Airwave system. However, I did not see that system listed in the DB. Is it available anywhere? What type of system is it?
Even though I am in Australia, I can answer some of the questions.

TETRA is a Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) system and is totally encrypted, so that is probably why no one has bothered posting anything in the DB. There is currently no scanner available to monitor TETRA (TErrestrial Trunked RAdio, originally Trans European Trunked RAdio) .

Also, is there a way to monitor the MPT-1327 systems that seem to be prevelant in your area? I did a search and read something about a program you can download but I'm not sure how to use it in conjunction with a scanner.

TrunkView is an ideal program for monitoring MPT-1327. The website lists most of the scanners it will work with. Basically you require a scanner that can be controlled by a PC. TrunkView does NOT require a 'discriminator tap'.

--
Comint

citylink_uk

Database Admin
Hello UK friends,

I'll be traveling to London on business for several weeks in September and wanted to do some monitoring. I saw in the DB that the London Police no longer use their MOT II system and are now on the national TETRA Airwave system. However, I did not see that system listed in the DB. Is it available anywhere? What type of system is it? Also, is there a way to monitor the MPT-1327 systems that seem to be prevelant in your area? I did a search and read something about a program you can download but I'm not sure how to use it in conjunction with a scanner.

A final question - London Fire and EMS are listed as being on conventional channels. Is this still the case?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Hi,

Just about all Police activity is on the secure TETRA network and the Smart zone network is in the process of being decommissioned.

Fire are still using the 70mhz VHF AM system and EMS are still on the 166mhz repeaters as listed in the RR DB.

I echo the comments above; Trunkview is a very good program for following MPT1327 and will even decode the control channel well from a mic placed near the speaker!

Main PMR bands to try are, VHF Low 81.0000 to 87.5000, VHF Mid/High 158.0000 to 173.0000 Band III A 177.0000 to 184.0000, Band 3 B 201.0000 to 206.5000 and UHF 430.0000 to 463.0000. Also don't forget to set your scanner to 12.5khz spacing for just about everything except VHF Airband.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.