SDR# TETRA Demodulator Trunk Tracking Demonstration

thewraith2008

hi gents, quick question, after latest update in my logs i can't see issi,gssi and all datas like before, just some odd things.. what did i done wrong? i replaced carrier number with xxxx but rest of log is exactly
most of my logs look like this now:

PDU encrypted: MAC_resource (CCK-id is odd) on timeslot 3

Looks like your network has gone encrypted. :eek:

Latest version (v1.0.15.10) can be found here: Release post

nico71

Dear all,

I can decode 3 differents networks.
2 of them have gps information and it works good for me.
In TTT I have this :
Type:UDT-4 Length:84 Protocol:Location_information SubType:Short_location_report Lat:47,221298° Long:5,951092° Accuracy: less than 20m Velocity:0,0km/h Dir:0°

but on the third network I see this :
D_SDS_Data Party_SSI:10000000 Type:UDT-4 Length:17 Protocol:Location_information SubType:Location_protocol_with_extension SubTypeExt:Immediate_location_report_request ReportType:Short

but nothing else...
I checked on all other frequencies and no GPS data send over the air...
Any idea ?

Thanks in advance for your help
Nicolas

oz1jua

Still thanks for a great software. I use a lot of time running it.
But one thing I am missing is a setting that can show encrypted calls.
When using old version 1.0.5.0 it shows a lot of ISSI on encrypted network.
And even when it says PDU is encrypted some ISSI is not encrypted.
I know that becouse I know the ISSI numbers they are using on the encrypted network.
Also I can se that the Carier it shows is out of scope so this tell that some of the PDU is encrypted
but not all of the PDU is.

And also why have Network Info Header Encrypted when all calls only says Clear.
In never version I have never seen an encrypted call.

thewraith2008

Dear all,

I can decode 3 differents networks.
2 of them have gps information and it works good for me.
In TTT I have this :
Type:UDT-4 Length:84 Protocol:Location_information SubType:Short_location_report Lat:47,221298° Long:5,951092° Accuracy: less than 20m Velocity:0,0km/h Dir:0°

but on the third network I see this :
D_SDS_Data Party_SSI:10000000 Type:UDT-4 Length:17 Protocol:Location_information SubType:Location_protocol_with_extension SubTypeExt:Immediate_location_report_request ReportType:Short

but nothing else...
I checked on all other frequencies and no GPS data send over the air...
Any idea ?

Thanks in advance for your help
Nicolas
The 'third network' is only sending the request.
The MS could be responding on the uplink. It could then be passed back to the requester internal to the tetra infrastructure and not passed back to the downlink where we could see it. I guess it's the type of set-up that determines if it needs to be returned to the downlink.

I know that becouse I know the ISSI numbers they are using on the encrypted network.
Also I can se that the Carier it shows is out of scope so this tell that some of the PDU is encrypted
My limited understanding of the standards about 'encryption mode' (PDU encryption) tells me that the address (SSI) is encrypted.
The standards also state "the address is encrypted when appropriate" and point to rules in another document about when it is applied, but for the life of me I can't see any reference to it. Searching for 'address encryption' in the document only shows one reference in a Figure 4.26.

According to the standards EN300-392-02 - 21.4.3.1 MAC-RESOURCE
The encryption mode field shall indicate whether or not the TM-SDU contents are encrypted and, if so, the encryption
algorithm used. The MAC header shall not be encrypted except that, if the encryption mode field is not set to 002:
• the channel allocation element (when present) shall be encrypted; and
the address is encrypted when appropriate (for details of the address encryption method and when it is used,
see ETSI EN 300 392-7 [8]).
NOTE 1: In the case of an event label assignment or usage marker assignment, the address element comprises two
parts (SSI or SMI and event label or usage marker). The rules defined in ETSI EN 300 392-7 [8] for when
address encryption is used apply independently to each part of the address.

In an older version of the standards, it refers to the encrypted address as 'alias stream':
MAC header may be encrypted and an alias stream may be
used to encrypt the address.

Your right, there is probably no need for this column.
It's not likely that a call will have clear PDUs and encrypted speech. Although it's possible.
There are 3 flags in different places (protocols) that indicate encryption.
  • Encryption mode - in MAC (PDU encryption)
  • Encryption control - in CMCE (E2EE)
  • Encryption flag - in CMCE (Tetra E2EE for circuit mode speech or data)
The last two can not be determined if 1st one is used.
This excludes the SYSINFO 'Security information element' which only tells if encryption is supported on network (Security Class 2-3)

I could output the SSI with the encrypted PDU message, but there is no guarantee that the SSI shown is correct.
No entry can be added to calls list because if the PDU is encrypted then this means the call control PDUs are encrypted.

causeway74

Hi, I am running the latest version (15.10) which works like a treat. When I enabled recording I found that the generated wav files with 0 length. Turned out that the resulting path was too long so I moved it to a folder closer to root and now all is working well.

The problem for me is that when recording is enabled TTT will go into "not responding" hang. Is there any logging or troubleshooting process that I could follow to determine what is causing this? Anyone else experiencing the same? Recording is enabled for all calls and I'm running in a single dongle mode.

Ubbe

Move it even closer to root? It could be that a character for a TG or ID are illegal and the recording file can then not be created and the process freezes. Go through all your text tags with a fine tooth comb. Have you tried running your computer with a nationality setting of USA, if you currently are using another setting?

/Ubbe

causeway74

Can't go any closer to root. What files should I be checking? Is it the Daily/yyyymmdd files e.g. private log, private pdus or sdsdata?

Ubbe

Check the files TETRA_GSSI.txt and TETRA_SSI.txt
Also check, if you have set a sound to any priority, that the sound file in the snd folder can be played in windows.

/Ubbe

thewraith2008

Hi, I am running the latest version (15.10) which works like a treat. When I enabled recording I found that the generated wav files with 0 length. Turned out that the resulting path was too long so I moved it to a folder closer to root and now all is working well.

The problem for me is that when recording is enabled TTT will go into "not responding" hang. Is there any logging or troubleshooting process that I could follow to determine what is causing this? Anyone else experiencing the same? Recording is enabled for all calls and I'm running in a single dongle mode.

See this post to see if solution there helps.
See this post for my response to issue.

syscodec

I have also noticed same things. Where I live there were unencrypted speech groups in a encrypted TETRA network. Also I can see (in encrypted network) in MS Registrations tab sometimes messages like: BS demands authentication SSI: xxxx and those messages are repeated for quite a long time (probably authentication fails constantly ...)

txa.jpg

Last edited:

thewraith2008

I have also noticed same things. Where I live there were unencrypted speech groups in a encrypted TETRA network. Also I can see (in encrypted network) in MS Registrations tab sometimes messages like: BS demands authentication SSI: xxxx and those messages are repeated for quite a long time (probably authentication fails constantly ...)
Not sure why you guys are so interested in looking at bad information on the screen from encrypted PDUs. It's meaningless gibberish.

MS registrations for encrypted traffic is not going to be shown because it's in an encrypted PDU.

taxor

Hello thewraith2008

I use your software for a tetra bus and streetcar network in France and I would like to use SDS with LRRP (I have the fastlane version).

I have tried for many hours and I could not do it.

Could you tell me if it possible with this TETRA_sds_data_1179.log in attachment.

Thank you for your response and once again thank you for your software and your work.

Richard.

Attachments

• TETRA_sds_data_1179.txt
    300.2 KB · Views: 44

thewraith2008

Hello thewraith2008

I use your software for a tetra bus and streetcar network in France and I would like to use SDS with LRRP (I have the fastlane version).

I have tried for many hours and I could not do it.

Could you tell me if it possible with this TETRA_sds_data_1179.log in attachment.

Thank you for your response and once again thank you for your software and your work.

Richard.

No. I don't see any location PDUs listed there for it to send anything to LRRP.

Just a note (to everyone) about posting logs/IQ samples openly.
I recommend posting them in a PM (must have more than 5 post to do) to me rather than openly posting them showing details.
You run the risk of your network provider seeing it and taking action to stop you monitoring it.
We must act responsibly with the information or loose the hobby.

I would like to see a IQ sample of that network as it has some interesting activity going on there.(y)

taxor

Good morning thewraith2008.

Thank you for your answer.
I have tried to delete the attachment in my previous message and apparently it is not possible : if the MODERATOR could do it for me when he will read this post.
Could you tell me if there is a chance to find " location PDUs " in another log file generate by your software.

You say "I would like to see a IQ sample of that network as it has some interesting activity going on there." : tell me exactly what you want (in trunk tracker or sdrsharp) and I will give you an example.

Have a good day.

Richard.

thewraith2008

Good morning thewraith2008.

Thank you for your answer.
I have tried to delete the attachment in my previous message and apparently it is not possible : if the MODERATOR could do it for me when he will read this post.
Could you tell me if there is a chance to find " location PDUs " in another log file generate by your software.

You say "I would like to see a IQ sample of that network as it has some interesting activity going on there." : tell me exactly what you want (in trunk tracker or sdrsharp) and I will give you an example.

Have a good day.

Richard.
Just use the report button. I'm sure mods don't read all posts.
vvvvvv

causeway74

That post I pointed to said he used "[Windows DirectSound]" device with success not "[MME]"

I was reading the various posts but yours with the two options mentioned Output Sound Mapper which is only available on my setup as MME.

I tried DirectSound Primary Sound Driver which didn't work, then switched back to MME Sound Mapper and it's been recording fine without crashes for 48 hours now.

hamradionl

I try record function again, but the WAV files cant play in Audacity.
Anyone have luck playing, what player you using?