SDR# TETRA Demodulator Trunk Tracking Demonstration

grosminet

I did tests . Airspy is working fine . I reinstalled the zadig driver but still have same problem with rtl_sdr key

Cryptoxic

I upgraded from your Tetra Network Monitor to the Tetra Trunk Tracker and I have to say that it's working fantastically. Even if I'm just using the demodulator plugin on it's own, there's so much more details compared to the old monitor.

thewraith2008

Happy it works for you. (y)

TNM came after TTT+plug-in but I decided to focus on developing TTT before merging the changes to TNM.
TETRA in my region has mostly shutdown and traffic that exists is not frequent enough to bother with. This is one of the reasons why TNM as paused with any further development.

Latest version (v1.7.1.0) can be found here: Release post

Cryptoxic

Not gonna go into the details but most of the TETRA channels here are encrypted. I only managed to find a few non encrypted ones and it's been a blast listening to them and chasing them! :D

digiman1

TNM came after TTT+plug-in but I decided to focus on developing TTT before merging the changes to TNM.
TETRA in my region has mostly shutdown and traffic that exists is not frequent enough to bother with. This is one of the reasons why TNM as paused with any further development.

I think in that case we can all say a massive Thank You for the time effort blood sweat and tears you have put into this project! This is by far the best and most complete SDR tool out there and one that will be used for years into the future. Well done and thanks again.

mrscanner2008

Premium Subscriber

I can sent you raw audio of TETRA if you need for future development !

thewraith2008

I think in that case we can all say a massive Thank You for the time effort blood sweat and tears you have put into this project! This is by far the best and most complete SDR tool out there and one that will be used for years into the future. Well done and thanks again.
Thanks for the kind works

I can sent you raw audio of TETRA if you need for future development !
Thanks.
All of the TETRA protocols (MAC,MLE,CMCE,SNDCP,MM) have been added now but some parts have been left out in some of them because they have never been seen in the wild. Not point wasting time on something that is not used.
If people start to see a particular service/feature then they would need to supply an IQ sample of it if they wish to see something added in the future. No guarantees though.

AJCarrick

Hello thewraith2008. I would like to say thanks for your hard work/time and dedication/periodic updates/ easy to follow documentation.
I use the latest version every day... it is particularly useful.
Thanks again. AJ

Thanks for the kind works

Thanks.
All of the TETRA protocols (MAC,MLE,CMCE,SNDCP,MM) have been added now but some parts have been left out in some of them because they have never been seen in the wild. Not point wasting time on something that is not used.
If people start to see a particular service/feature then they would need to supply an IQ sample of it if they wish to see something added in the future. No guarantees though.

First off, I'll also thank you for all the work you've done. If it's of any use, I may have seen an odd protocol in the wild: TEDS. Well, I think that's what it is, traffic chopper said something about sending live video over 4g and tetra at the same time. Again, thanks for making Tetra easy and accesible to windows users.

tetrapaket

Hi thewraith2008, when using the DMO mode, should both demodulator and DMO boxes be ticked? And second question, the DMO channels what i've heard is often in the lower end of the spectrum of the tetra channels and they are "burst like". Not a continous 25 kHZ like a normal base station channel? Did not find any good examples of how a DMO channel look like.

A little noob friendly tutorial "how to identify a DMO" channel would be great :p

Thank you!

thewraith2008

First off, I'll also thank you for all the work you've done. If it's of any use, I may have seen an odd protocol in the wild: TEDS. Well, I think that's what it is, traffic chopper said something about sending live video over 4g and tetra at the same time. Again, thanks for making Tetra easy and accesible to windows users.
There does exist "TETRA Multimedia Exchange (MEX) Layer".
The TETRA MEX layer resides above the SNDCP.
This layer is fairly complex and most likely out of the scope of this project.
It's most likely that if video was been sent, it would go via uplink (from 'traffic chopper') to the BS and into a network (internet?) and would not be rebroadcast on the downlink.

when using the DMO mode, should both demodulator and DMO boxes be ticked?
Yes

And second question, the DMO channels what i've heard is often in the lower end of the spectrum of the tetra channels and they are "burst like". Not a continous 25 kHZ like a normal base station channel? Did not find any good examples of how a DMO channel look like.

A little noob friendly tutorial "how to identify a DMO" channel would be great :p
Sure it's DMO? It could be the uplink (MS to BS) which can look and sound like DMO.
The plug-in does not handle the uplink transmissions.

While not tutorial on "how to identify a DMO channel" here are two posts here and here with links to videos which may help show the DMO signal with raw playback of the audio.

There does exist in TMO a traffic channel that uses the burst style of transmission. These can have a more uniform burst nature to them but it depends on the number of active timeslots.
I have only seen this TMO type via IQ samples and they always seem to carry encrypted traffic.

HamZeroAT

Hello! is there a way that the program stops to change the frequency by itself? at a longer time this is a bit frustating but in the end i like it anyways. only that the software change the frequency by itself is not so nice.

Cryptoxic

Been using the program for a while, but I was just wondering, is there a way to hear the decoded audio of an encrypted transmission? I know it's just jumbled sound but I just wanted to hear it while channel surfing

Fredo68

If you use the Tetra demod plugin with TTT not enabled you should hear the decoded but encrypted audio.

Cryptoxic

If you use the Tetra demod plugin with TTT not enabled you should hear the decoded but encrypted audio.
Yeah I've tried it before but I only get the calls that are on the same carrier as the control channel. I'd like to chase the calls especially since the encrypted channels are usually the crowded ones.

thewraith2008

Hello! is there a way that the program stops to change the frequency by itself? at a longer time this is a bit frustating but in the end i like it anyways. only that the software change the frequency by itself is not so nice.
That is the whole purpose of the program, to follow calls to other carriers.
Using only the plug-in without TTT will see it only monitor that carrier and no frequency changing will occur. Not all calls can be heard this way.

Yeah I've tried it before but I only get the calls that are on the same carrier as the control channel. I'd like to chase the calls especially since the encrypted channels are usually the crowded ones.
TETRA encrypts all aspects of the data used for call control.
This means that TTT cannot follow encrypted calls to different carriers.
You would only be able to hear the encrypted voice on the carrier you are tuned too. (so long as the right options are selected)

Cryptoxic

TETRA encrypts all aspects of the data used for call control.
This means that TTT cannot follow encrypted calls to different carriers.
You would only be able to hear the encrypted voice on the carrier you are tuned too. (so long as the right options are selected)

Ah that explains it. Thanks for the explanation

Cryptoxic

One more thing, does TTT support multiple VC? I have a few SDRs that I could use to listen on multiple carriers and the tetra group I'm listening to have multiple calls running at the same time and I was hoping if I could listen to multiple calls at the same time

Cryptoxic

No that is not possible with TTT.

TNM has that capability but it is not as developed as TTT.

Ah shame. Could be an improvement in the future if you have the time to add it. Nevertheless, still a great piece of software to chase tetra traffic with, even if I miss some calls here and there.