TETRA/ X-TDMA Freqs. Alberta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Halloween All,
Doe anyone have any info on TETRA/ TDMA usage in the Calgary area or in Alberta. I am looking for what bandwidth is TETRA using, e.g. VHF/UHF etc. and also looking for a list of users & frequencies like I know YYC airport is using TETRA but with the little info I know about TETRA I do not have a clue even where to start looking. Any help will be appreciated. You can PM with any info. Thxs. Also, off this topic, when a aircraft declares an emergency what do they use the AM aircraft frequency spectrum (118 to 130 MHZ band) or do they use HF or Satellite frequencies, Curious !

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
As far as I know, only YYC uses TETRA. As for TDMA, there is TONS of DMR on VHF/UHF/800/900MHz in Alberta. It seems to be the most popular choice in the petroleum industry, both conventional and trunked, with Motorola being the dominate player. Many users are on UHF(406-430MHz and 450-470MHz) some are on 800MHz and a couple are using 900MHz The only P25 phase 2 system I am aware of is the Strathcona refinery in YEG.

Outside the petroleum industry DMR is being adopted at a brisk pace. Definitely the digital mode of choice in the commercial world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Also, off this topic, when a aircraft declares an emergency what do they use the AM aircraft frequency spectrum (118 to 130 MHZ band) or do they use HF or Satellite frequencies, Curious !

Depends where they are. If they are in airspace were the voice control is on VHF, they would most likely declare their emergency on VHF and also change their transponder code to reflect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I haven't paid much attention to emergency but on a couple of times in YYC I have heard them use the 124.95 frequency.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I haven't paid much attention to emergency but on a couple of times in YYC I have heard them use the 124.95 frequency.

That's employed when it is of benefit for the aircraft to talk to the ARFF trucks (shut down your #1 engine, taxi to this point, etc).

Emergencies aloft are generally going to be declared on the frequency being used at the time (i.e. approach, departure, etc). They don't switch to a separate frequency to have their emergency.

On the initial topic - supposedly YYC has a full fledged TETRA trunked network in operation, and YBW has a simplex TETRA channel in use. I have not heard either of them. Those two locations are the only TETRA emission licensed channels I have seen in Alberta in the TAFL.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea if it adds to this post, but I have seen maintenance and security using Hytera PD 782 radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.