TetraNetMonitor UI Experimentation

digiman1

Can anyone confirm how well this is working with the Airspy Mini?

I have quite a few Control Channels in my area I would like to monitor, overall all Control Channels and Voice Channels are within about 6Mhz

Last edited:

thewraith2008

I have quite a few Control Channels in my area I would like to monitor, overall all Control Channels and Voice Channels are within about 6Mhz
The Airspy Mini should work fine.
You will see about 4.7MHz visible bandwidth from the 6MHz in SDR#.

Latest version (v1.1.0.2) can be found in this post here: Download

hamradionl

Airspy or Airspy-mini use 1 is good, but use 2 or more 6 MHz, those need connected to separate USB poort to prevent big crash nor decode tetra 6x RTL-SDR use 1 MHz, work fine on 1 USB

digiman1

I have it running well with the RTL, I realised after looking that the 2 LAs I monitor are within 2mhz. So far so good!

digiman1

I have upgraded to the Airspy Mini, I can now see all my CC/VC within the spectrum and getting pretty solid signals.

I have an issue which I cannot get my head around, even with the signals being strong I am getting very choppy audio on some CC/VCs even with a solid signal.

I have attached a screenshot of my Airspy settings, in case something is standing out, I have also attached a screenshot showing my spectrum, all these are my local CC/VC.

Sometimes when a call takes place on NetMon2 Voice Channel I don't get the solid received message but it is a strong signal and no matter how much I tweak the gains etc it struggles to stay solid. The 3rd Image called Tetra3 shows a good strong signal but the audio is breaking up bad.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• tetra1.PNG
    tetra1.PNG
    10.4 KB · Views: 49
  • tetra2.PNG
    tetra2.PNG
    63 KB · Views: 52
  • tetra3.PNG
    tetra3.PNG
    69.2 KB · Views: 42

thewraith2008

I have upgraded to the Airspy Mini, I can now see all my CC/VC within the spectrum and getting pretty solid signals.

I have an issue which I cannot get my head around, even with the signals being strong I am getting very choppy audio on some CC/VCs even with a solid signal.

I have attached a screenshot of my Airspy settings, in case something is standing out, I have also attached a screenshot showing my spectrum, all these are my local CC/VC.

Sometimes when a call takes place on NetMon2 Voice Channel I don't get the solid received message but it is a strong signal and no matter how much I tweak the gains etc it struggles to stay solid. The 3rd Image called Tetra3 shows a good strong signal but the audio is breaking up bad.

Any ideas?
What SDR# version?
Hows is the CPU load for both PC and SDR#?
Have you tested the throughput of the data (from dongle) via USB.
Run the console test program from Airspy as described here: "Troubleshooting PC performance problems". (a bottom of page)
See if it's sustaining 6 MSPS.

Another thing to try is to lower the Latency (ms) value (in Audio side menu), try 50.
Not sure if it would make a difference with TNM.

digiman1

What SDR# version?
Hows is the CPU load for both PC and SDR#?
Have you tested the throughput of the data (from dongle) via USB.
Run the console test program from Airspy as described here: "Troubleshooting PC performance problems". (a bottom of page)
See if it's sustaining 6 MSPS.

Another thing to try is to lower the Latency (ms) value (in Audio side menu), try 50.
Not sure if it would make a difference with TNM.

What SDR# version? 1.0.0.1716

Hows is the CPU load for both PC and SDR#? I have attached a screenshot of the current CPU load, this is averaging out about 11% doe SDR# and about 1% for TNM

Have you tested the throughput of the data (from dongle) via USB. Yes, checkout out the attached screenshot title msp.PNG

Not sure if it would make a difference with TNM. I had tried this as I needed to do this for TTT but it does not appear to have an effect on TNM, I dropped this as low as 10ms

Does anything stand out to you in my responses above that could be causing this?

I am using a pretty good laptop with 16GB RAM, SSD, USB3.0 and AMD Ryzen 5 at 3.00 GHz.

EDIT: Dear lord I think I figured it out, on TNM2 I had Disable AFC checked... I think this is my issue. I will monitor this for a bit and see if this fixes my issue.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14 KB · Views: 46
  • msp.PNG
    msp.PNG
    248 KB · Views: 48

digiman1

Yip, I have fixed it. I had Disable AFC checked on TNM2 so any floating calls were coming in very choppy. All good now.

thewraith2008

SDR# 1700-1716 will probably be the best versions to use with TNM.
SDR# 1717-1777 will probably work, maybe colors are wrong. Not tested.

SDR# 1778-1803 not sure. Not tested. (probably same as below)
SDR# 1804+ will not work because of breaking changes in .NET 5. Maybe colors are wrong again.

SDR# made changes to the UI which made old plug-ins look out of place with themes.
Changes to plug-ins (some of the ones I updated) to look better in newer UI.
SDR# made changes again to the UI which made updated plug-ins look out of place.
Changes again to plug-ins (some of the ones I updated) to look better in new newer UI.
SDR# made changes yet again to the UI which made older plug-ins work again but the updated plug-ins look out of place again.
I stopped bothering to update because I'm bored with this repeating cycle.

enCrypt

Been playing with this in a new folder the last few days (I have the older TTT running also in another folder)
Thankyou to thewraith2008 for all the hard work.
I'm using SDR# 1700
TNM 1.1.0.2
Windows 10 1803
1 x NooElec NeSDR Smart dongle....that needs no PPM ;)

I have a couple of questions which I may have missed in a previous thread...

1. Is there any way to make all my SDR# plugins "Enabled" by default (apart from No 2 of course)? It seems that even running"Remote Start SDR#s" from the TNM window does "Play" SDR# but it does not enable the plugins and I have to click them all enabled...

2. The volume seems very low compared to TTT on my machine. I've checked the Windows mixer and everything is up to 100%. I'm now using a powered set of PC speakers which is better but I still have to turn them up much louder than normal.

Cheers
enCrypt

thewraith2008

1. No not really.

2. This is a NAudio problem.
I don't know why it's so low, the API does not offer and way to apply gain from what I remember.
I think a tried applying some gain but it only add distortion not amplification.

enCrypt

Thankyou for the responses, neither of them are "show stoppers". Just wanted to check I'd not missed any fixes for these already posted.
I'll continue to monitor progress of this project.
Thanks again....

digiman1

SDR# 1700-1716 will probably be the best versions to use with TNM.
SDR# 1717-1777 will probably work, maybe colors are wrong. Not tested.

SDR# 1778-1803 not sure. Not tested. (probably same as below)
SDR# 1804+ will not work because of breaking changes in .NET 5. Maybe colors are wrong again.

SDR# made changes to the UI which made old plug-ins look out of place with themes.
Changes to plug-ins (some of the ones I updated) to look better in newer UI.
SDR# made changes again to the UI which made updated plug-ins look out of place.
Changes again to plug-ins (some of the ones I updated) to look better in new newer UI.
SDR# made changes yet again to the UI which made older plug-ins work again but the updated plug-ins look out of place again.
I stopped bothering to update because I'm bored with this repeating cycle.

Yip, 1716 work's great! Thanks for this.

digiman1

Has anyone managed to get the audio piping to VB Cable without sending all System Audio?

I like to stream via Zello so I can listen when out and about but I need to set my system audio to VB Cable for this to work but if the computer makes any sound it will send it to Zello. I did manage to get TNM to pipe to VB Cable at one point but I am not sure how on earth I done this.