Texas 155.490 DCS 143

Status
Not open for further replies.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Which Texas law enforcement agency is using this frequency in the analog mode most likely somewhere in the North, NE, or North Central part of Texas. I'm in the DFW area and I have come across this DCS 143 user a number of times but have never been able to confirm the user. I thought I heard Dublin, TX mentioned tonight but I cannot say this with certainty. Reception is decent this morning but definitely nothing special. If I had to guess I'd think they were likely within 100 miles or less of Ft. Worth. It's definitely not listed in the RRDB either. Does anyone know who is using 155.490/DCS 143?

Brian (COMMSCAN)

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
According to the FCC license search:

It could be any of the following around the metroplex:

• Parker County OES in Aledo
  • City of Seagoville (Dallas County)
  • City of Greenville (Hunt County)

If you're in Fort Worth, I would say it's Parker County. Doesn't explain the Dublin reference, and I don't see any licenses for Erath county.

nd5y

The 155.49 in Parker County is part of the P25 trunked system and should have NAC 6E7.
There is also one in Young County but last time I checked the tone was 131.8.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I feel like a complete fool here but I just realized something as I went back to review the audio I left recording as I went to bed around 4 AM. I am truly legally blind so I am extra careful (I thought) before posting things like this. Well, I'm obviously not foolproof though :) The frequency I was receiving was actually 154.490 I just realized. The DCS is still 143 but I was 1 MHz off and I just did not see on my radio it was 154 MHz instead of 155 MHz. Sorry about this.

I had entered 155.49 into VFO B on my Yaesu FTM400XDR. I noticed the (Parker County) Morse Code callsign every so often but never heard anymore voice (since I was on the wrong freq.). I see now I had a lot of opportunity to see I was on the wrong frequency, or not what I thought I was on, but I just missed it looking at the small display on the scanner. I was tired but I still can't believe I didn't notice it wasn't the frequency I thought I was on.

I let 154.490 record from around 3:30 AM CST local and I'm going to go back and see if I can figure out who uses that frequency. It looks like a lot of audio recorded as I turned down the audio to go to sleep and left it recording to review later. I do think that 154.49/DCS 143 still sounded like law enforcement so I will hopefully confirm this since it isn't RR.com listed. I have been hearing another agency, not Parker Co's VHF P25 TRS, on 155.49 since last year at various times. And I have wondered if it might be Young County or even Leon County with a new tone. There have been a few nights where I've looked and tried to find a user on 155.49 in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, and even Arkansas but with no luck. The FCC listings show a few possibilities but I just haven't been able to confirm whoever it is yet. I guess my brain overnight told me I was on 155.49 and I just didn't see it was 154.49 because I've been trying to confirm a user on 155.49 for a while? Either way, I messed up this time!

Thanks for the reply Tom and I appreciate you looking too. I'll be more careful next time I ask about a frequency and I'll be sure I don't trust my vision (or lack of it) too much :)

Brian (COMMSCAN)

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Kfred. I don't think I have that frequency in my confirmed database with Brownwood and I'll have to check a little later. I appreciate the info. That might be who I have been hearing and I have been trying to confirm? Do you by chance know what the PL tone or NAC they use is?

Brian (COMMSCAN)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Kfred. I don't think I have that frequency in my confirmed database with Brownwood and I'll have to check a little later. I appreciate the info. That might be who I have been hearing and I have been trying to confirm? Do you by chance know what the PL tone or NAC they use is?

Brian (COMMSCAN)
Brown shows, in the database, to be using DCS 263. But that county was last updated 3 years ago (July, 2017).

You noted initially that you heard Dublin mentioned. Dublin, in Erath County, is not that far from Brownwood, so any sort of warrant check, or other activity, easily could connect to Dublin due to proximity.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Brown shows, in the database, to be using DCS 263. But that county was last updated 3 years ago (July, 2017).

You noted initially that you heard Dublin mentioned. Dublin, in Erath County, is not that far from Brownwood, so any sort of warrant check, or other activity, easily could connect to Dublin due to proximity.
I was thinking that exact same thing myself. I listen back today and it was difficult to tell if Dublin was said or not so it's kind of a 50/50 chance it was / wasn't. But I did notice that there were over 400 hits in ProScan on the frequency, I had reset the hit counter, and it looks like there's five folders that recorded over a period of about 8 hours. So I have a lot to go through and try to listen and get some detail from on the 154.49 frequency anyhow.

I did notice as I was listening to the first folder earlier that it's not going to wind up being law enforcement like it initially sounded like. It's probably going to be some other kind of electric co-op or something similar that usually pops up in that frequency range. It did sound law enforcement like for a while but then I realized soon after that the chase they were talking about and the guy running was something they saw and not something they were a part of :)

I appreciate the reply back. After the storms we just had that came through over the last hour, I think I'm noticing the VHF band might be opening up tonight. I'm going to go in there and park my SDS200 on 155.49 and see what I might be able to capture tonight!

Brian (COMMSCAN)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I was thinking that exact same thing myself. I listen back today and it was difficult to tell if Dublin was said or not so it's kind of a 50/50 chance it was / wasn't. But I did notice that there were over 400 hits in ProScan on the frequency, I had reset the hit counter, and it looks like there's five folders that recorded over a period of about 8 hours. So I have a lot to go through and try to listen and get some detail from on the 154.49 frequency anyhow.

I did notice as I was listening to the first folder earlier that it's not going to wind up being law enforcement like it initially sounded like. It's probably going to be some other kind of electric co-op or something similar that usually pops up in that frequency range. It did sound law enforcement like for a while but then I realized soon after that the chase they were talking about and the guy running was something they saw and not something they were a part of :)

I appreciate the reply back. After the storms we just had that came through over the last hour, I think I'm noticing the VHF band might be opening up tonight. I'm going to go in there and park my SDS200 on 155.49 and see what I might be able to capture tonight!

Brian (COMMSCAN)
When it cools off a little, I'll probably run down to Stephens County & spend the day with a friend who lives between Strawn & Breckenridge. I'll take a couple of scanners & leave them recording to see what I hear. Her place is on high ground, and I should be able to hear Brownwood. From there, at times, I do hear Tx DPS out of Abilene (on the Abilene frequency, not one of the remote sites), and at times, Nolan County, just west of Abilene. Their S.O. uses the same frequency, 155.685, as Stephens County. Of course, their NAC is different, but I have heard them in the past with either the correct NAC, or when set to search (when Stephens was just starting to transition to digital).

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
That would be real nice and thank you. I kind of live in a fishbowl so to speak at my 650 ft above sea level location. I've got outside towers but my best receiving direction from the Fort Worth area that I live in is back to the west/southwest.

I often can pick up Erath County, Stephenville, and a few of the areas down to the east/southeast of Abilene. In fact, I use the NOAA weather radio sites to often listen and tell where the best reception is coming from and I just about always pick up a few of the different stations from Abilene and back down through the area we're talking about. It's the one big opening I have that isn't blocked by some sort of terrain. So it does make sense that it could have easily been that direction that the traffic I was monitoring might have been coming from.

I can still pick up Dallas and locations like that to my east but unless there's some kind of good propagation I do not receive too far out in East Texas.

On a side note, I did have an interesting 2-meter contact back a couple of months ago when we had some superb propagation and I talked with a guy for about 45 minutes that was in the northeast part of Louisiana and only about 5 miles from being in Mississippi. Needless to say that was not usual but it was enjoyable and a 350 miles away rare VHF contact.

It's been a while since I've been able to get down to Stephenville or Abilene or any of those locations so I would be interested in what you find. And I appreciate you checking while you're down that way.

Oh yeah, and by the way, there was one more agency I confirmed for the first time down that direction just a couple of weeks ago. I was listening late one night / early one morning and heard Hico PD. I did not even realize they had a PD and the last time I drove through there myself, 20 years ago, I don't think they did have a police department then?

Since that direction, southwest of me, is an area I can often receive, I'm interested in any reports from down there! I'm surprised at how much conventional traffic there still is in that direction and I enjoyed coming across it searching the VHF Hi band on some of those good reception days. I really enjoyed the DXing and any station, and in any direction, then I'm able to hear or confirm if something I really enjoy finding and putting in my frequency database I started back around 1988 I believe it was. Needless to say a lot of the entries I've gathered across the country as I used to travel are DOA or no longer any good, some of these conventional users still do use some of their old frequencies and that is kind of interesting when I compare it to the last time I logged it in years gone by.I'm hoping to get out to Dyess Air Force Base with a friend before the year ends to watch some of the B-1B bombers taking off and landing as well as listening to them. I've always enjoyed that part of Texas out there in the Erath County and Stevens County proximity. I just haven't been there in close to 20 years but I hope I do get to make it as we've planned over the last year to go back and check out!

Okay, I'm going to stop rambling on now :) Thanks again for the help!

Brian (COMMSCAN)

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
Interesting. I was just out in the Greenville area a week ago. Thanks for the reply and info!

Brian (COMMSCAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.