Texas A & M Forest Service changes

nd5y

Today there is a fire in Palo Pinto county and air attack is using 159.300 PL 103.5 instead of 114.8.
I don't know what if anything else has changed.
Don't count on the database to be accurate now.
If your are smart you will use tone search and remember that TFS doesn't have exclusive use of most of their frequencies like DPS does. There are other users in different areas.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Today there is a fire in Palo Pinto county and air attack is using 159.300 PL 103.5 instead of 114.8.
If your are smart you will use tone search and remember that TFS doesn't have exclusive use of most of their frequencies like DPS does. There are other users in different areas.
Agreed on tone search. Whenever I program my scanner for an area I haven’t been, or haven’t been in a while, I set all frequencies to search. If they match good, if they don’t at least I was prepared and didn’t miss any traffic

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for this information.

nd5y

Today there is a fire in Palo Pinto county and air attack is using 159.300 PL 103.5 instead of 114.8
Yesterday afternoon I caught a couple more weak noisy transmissions and one time it decoded 114.8.
I don't know if the afternoon air attack plane was the same one as in the morning.
Now I don't know if anything really changed or it was a mistake with one radio.

Myles

I think the tone for 159.300 and some others used to be 127.3 Hz.
I left some of them as "SEARCH" that changed but I put 114.8 as part of the Alpha tag so if I see that tone pop up, it's an indicator that the used is probably TFS.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
Are there any TFS frequencies for the immediate metro? I heard nothing on the TFS frequencies I programmed from the database when I was close by the fire out near Eagle Mountain last month.

nd5y

Are there any TFS frequencies for the immediate metro?
You would need to be close enough to hear mobiles on the statewide frequencies.
You should be able to aircraft on the repeater inputs, air-to-ground and AM air-to-air frequencies at a greater distance.

There are no TFS repeaters in Dallas or Tarrant Counties.
The closest ones are Granbury, Whitt, Greenvile, Canton, and one licensed in Decatur that I don't think has ever existed. The only one that I know for a fact is on the air this year is Whitt.

A couple weeks ago I heard an aircraft on National Flight Following 168.650. I'm not sure if is was in TX or OK.

Last edited:

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Are there any TFS frequencies for the immediate metro? I heard nothing on the TFS frequencies I programmed from the database when I was close by the fire out near Eagle Mountain last month.
From NRH , I can hear the Air to Air on 135.675am, and yesterday heard the Air to Ground on 159.300 when working the Big Sky fire in Denton County. As for ground frequencies for TFS I wouldn't know, but just listen to the county or city agencies working those events.

nd5y

There is a new (to me) AM air to air frequency 121.825 being used for the "Craft Fire" between Jacksboro and Bowie. I don't know if this is a new regional frequency or an incident-specific assignment.

I heard an aircraft inbound to the fire calling Air Attack on 125.375 with no response. Then they made contact on National Flight Following 168.650 PL 110.9 and Air Attack told him to use 121.825.

Last edited:

nd5y

I heard a tanker from the Craft Fire talking to College Station dispatch on National Flight Following 168.650 PL 110.9. That means there is a base station on that frequency somewhere in N TX. I don't know if that would be permanent at a TFS repeater site (or some other tower or TFS or USFS facility) or a temporary setup with an IP link at the ICP or something.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
I heard a tanker from the Craft Fire talking to College Station dispatch on National Flight Following 168.650 PL 110.9. That means there is a base station on that frequency somewhere in N TX. I don't know if that would be permanent at a TFS repeater site (or some other tower or TFS or USFS facility) or a temporary setup with an IP link at the ICP or something.
I just heard him. " College Station 62 Whiskey on Whitt". Heading back to the grass fire.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Heard 2 more on 168.650 this afternoon talking to College Station on "National" They were cleared from the Cedar Hill Fire.

nd5y

125.55 is the TFR conact frequency for the Campbell fire in Archer/Young counties.

Also two big fires here in Wichita County. I heard aircraft talking to College Station on 168.65. I could hear the base too. I think probably one or more TFS fire supervisor vehicles has a radio on it with cellular or FirstNet or satellite data link.

KI5IRE

Premium Subscriber
125.55 is the TFR conact frequency for the Campbell fire in Archer/Young counties.

Also two big fires here in Wichita County. I heard aircraft talking to College Station on 168.65. I could hear the base too. I think probably one or more TFS fire supervisor vehicles has a radio on it with cellular or FirstNet or satellite data link.
The PIO for TFS out of Mineral Wells doesn't have that for sure, so I don't believe that is agency-wide. A reporter and I rode with him into the Palo Pinto fire a couple months ago and he was running a BK DPHX5102X portable and a DMH5992X mobile in his truck on one of the VTAC channels. First time I held the 5102 (got to pick it up to move it so I could mount a camera), those things are massive!

nd5y

Air attack read back to dispatch air to ground 166.6125 for Campbell fire. Unknown if any tone.

This was A/G 03 National Interagency Air Tactics 1 in 2020.

I think they were using VFIRE26 yesterday.

Last edited:

nd5y

I heard aircraft talking to College Station on 168.65. I could hear the base too. I think probably one or more TFS fire supervisor vehicles has a radio on it with cellular or FirstNet or satellite data link.
I've been hearing this base consistently all week. The signal isn't very strong. I think it may be at the TFS office in Burkburnett and not in a mobile ICP.