Texas DPS, how to program to motorla radio for RX only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trate69

I’m interested in purchasing a Motorola XTS2500 radio. I would be using it to listen to Texas DPS traffic (P25). What type of features would I need so that I can listen to DPS Traffic? I prefer a Motorola over a Scanner. Could I get a radio with FPP so that I can program the radio or is there something else I would need?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
This is probably better suited for the Motorola Forum, as it really has nothing to do with Texas DPS (meaning, all the conventional frequency tricks you'll have to apply, apply for all conventional P25 frequencies and not specifically to Texas DPS). I bet it would get a quick response there...

Edit: And as far as I know (which isn't too far) the RSS is needed to program any Moto radio...

Last edited:

ke5fgc

Premium Subscriber
To program a channel as receive only you will have to use CPS, the FPP will not allow you to set a channel as receive only.

davidbond21

I'll leave it to the Moto folks to say what exact features you'll need in the radio but if you don't get a radio with FPP, at a minimum you'll need to separately purchase a RIB, a programming cable(unless you get the RIBless kind), and the software which does not come cheap.

Like texasemt13 said, all you'll need for DPS is something that will do conventional P25 VHF.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
On eBay, a working ASTRO Saber goes for anywhere between $100 and $400, but it might take a while to find a VHF one. It seems that the market is currently flooded with 800 MHz models. I haven't seen a VHF model in quite a while.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
On eBay, a working ASTRO Saber goes for anywhere between $100 and $400, but it might take a while to find a VHF one.

...and a copy of the CPS would be about $300. Not to mention the cable and RIB.

For a VHF P25 FPP HT- Racal-25. For $350 I got a 501, a good battery, a charger and shoulder mic. Within 2 minutes of receiving it I was listening to Texas DPS and it doubles as an awesome P25 amateur HT.

SCPD

QRT
To program a channel as receive only you will have to use CPS, the FPP will not allow you to set a channel as receive only.

Actually it will, 173.0000 will work fine. He won't key the repeater and as long as the TX is VHF the radio accepts it.

SCPD

QRT
...and a copy of the CPS would be about $300. Not to mention the cable and RIB.

For a VHF P25 FPP HT- Racal-25. For $350 I got a 501, a good battery, a charger and shoulder mic. Within 2 minutes of receiving it I was listening to Texas DPS and it doubles as an awesome P25 amateur HT.

Only $300.00?

Just purchased a LICENSE AGREEMENT with Motorola today .... More like $480.00 ish and the Software is an additional $87.00'ish (For ASTRO Spectra) Oh and if you do get popped selling programming services (snitches are everywhere) Have fun in FEDERAL Custody. Be sure to give us the Channel plan for the facility they send you to.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Max,

I'm not a /\/\ guy, and notice my modifier "about." My point was, he's going to be spending a lot of money for a radio, then is going to have to spend even more for the CPS, cable and RIB. You helped prove my point that it is just real damn expensive.

My suggestion to trate was based on his needs, P25 conventional and FPP. He thinks he wants a Motorola, but I believe he should study his needs more, to see if Moto is the only one that can satisfy the void. Not dogging Motorola, but for the price, I can find better ways to allocate my limited funds.

davidbond21

Only $300.00?

Just purchased a LICENSE AGREEMENT with Motorola today .... More like $480.00 ish and the Software is an additional $87.00'ish (For ASTRO Spectra) Oh and if you do get popped selling programming services (snitches are everywhere) Have fun in FEDERAL Custody. Be sure to give us the Channel plan for the facility they send you to.

Sweet zombie jesus! $560+? I'm starting to think that the Astro Spectra I picked up for $50 at the Belton hamfest isn't quite the deal I thought it'd be. Maybe I'll have to bring it by when I come up to Plano for the state hamfest so you can program it for me completely free of charge or any other obligation, that way you don't set loose the salivating hounds of lawyers that work for Big M. :wink:

From what I've read, the federal pen is much better to sit in than the for-profit prisons that have been populating themselves all over, not that either is a cakewalk.

SCPD

QRT
david

If you can get someone else to program it (and many will for $25.00 to $50.00 Motorola Authorized) its a good radio I have a Saber III that is solid and a very nice radio. Our agency purchased 5 ASTRO Spectra's from the State. a Local Motorola Super center/Dealer wanted $50.00 each to reprogram them, we also have 4 others of the same model and version so it made better sense to buy a 2 year agreement from Motorola. They sell the RIB/RSS as $87.00 per model, so since we have ASTRO-Spectra's, and XTS's oh and an old CP200 we paid $87.00 x 3. But other agencies have these same radios also and now we can program all of them and all be on the same page. It was worth it for us.

Bring it on! and I'll be at Ham Com Saturday trying to negotiate a better deal from VictorXray on whatever he has left. You should grab Texasemt13 and bring him with you.

Last edited:

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
You should grab Texasemt13 and bring him with you.

That's looking like the plan...

If you have P25 amateur capability we like to use 147.425 NAC 293 for simplex. Trying to call someone in analog simplex can be tough at a fest, those elmers sure do like to chew.

ke5fgc

Premium Subscriber
Actually it will, 173.0000 will work fine. He won't key the repeater and as long as the TX is VHF the radio accepts it.

Yes you could program a random transmit frequency through FPP but the radio will still transmit if it is keyed up. I believe what the OP wants is the radio to not transmit at all if the PTT is pushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.