Texas DPS Re-Numbering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Back in the day (pre-renumbering) I remember Rangers having a 3 digit numerical identifier. I remember "204" calling San Antonio saying he was out at the Hays County jail, and later San Antonio notifying a trooper about meeting the Ranger at the Hays County Jail, saying his name, and calling him "204." Can anyone verify that they still do use 3 digit numerical unit numbers?

Two nights ago I heard "306" being called by San Antonio. I was wondering if it could be a Ranger. That same night I heard San Antonio call a 9XXX, are these still civilians working within DPS (like licensing employees)?

Lastly, in the past I've asked this a few times, and never really gotten a definitive answer. I hear San Antonio dispatch signing out some "Paul 50X" (and the X's are always low, like 2, 3, & 4), from some station that San Antonio is linked to (San Antonio, New Braunfels, D'Hanis, Stonewall, Kerrville, etc.). I only hear these units going 10-41/42, and never hear them themselves, only DPS repeating their traffic. Can anyone say who these "Pauls" are?

twobytwo

I heard the DPS helo in Lubbock use 105 as its callsign today. I noticed that in some earlier post 101 was used for a helo around Ft Worth. Lubbock is in region 5 & Ft W is in region 1 . This just a hunch but would it be possible that the last digit in 10x is the callsign area that helo serves?

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I've always wondered that as well, how they number the helos.

San Antonio always seems to have 106, but they have more helos than regions, so I have heard 113 through San Antonio also.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Is this still a pertinent sticky? It's been great having a DPS related sticky... but this definitely went off topic many times.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I was listening to DPS San Antonio and was hearing a 30# unit number. Before the unit re-numbering the 3 digit numbers were Texas Rangers. I've heard this exact unit before and he was definitely making talk like he was arresting folks...

I'm going to assume the Ranger unit numbers haven't changed to some other numbering convention (like all the THP and CVE troopers), and that this is still the same Ranger I've been listening to for years.

Again, is this sticky pertinent anymore since the re-numbering happened years ago?

mostar

I was listening to DPS San Antonio and was hearing a 30# unit number. Before the unit re-numbering the 3 digit numbers were Texas Rangers. I've heard this exact unit before and he was definitely making talk like he was arresting folks...

30x will be a Highway Patrol Major.

If he was out arresting people, it's a fair bet that they're going to have a bad day...

Status
Not open for further replies.