Texas DPS Re-Numbering...

Status
Not open for further replies.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
If you've listened to Texas DPS at all in the past couple days you've probably noticed a few different unit numbers (notice the end of this thread for the previous discussion). Refer to this thread, for kw5kw's great explanation of the previous numbering scheme. Hopefully he can provide more insight in to the new scheme as well.

A discussion for the adjustment of the Collaboration Wiki page has been formed on its own wiki page here.

Please contribute, to this thread, any findings you may have.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Can anyone in the Former Region Known As 8 tell me whether they got the memo?

I've heard an 86XX unit on Base B1 out of San Antonio...

If you've made notes in the past about DPS units using a certain county's dispatch on a regular basis, refer to those notes while you listen to the county dispatches. Especially in Podunk, Texas, where DPS uses county dispatches (as much, if not more than) the DPS Communication Centers. We know a few things:

1. The number of dispatch centers is remaining the same, there is is only a "re-districting" (really it's a re-regioning) so there are technically more dispatch centers per region (as a general rule, I haven't compared each new region, county by county, to see if there is a net gain/loss for any region).

2. The troopers still have the same frequencies/groups programmed in to their radios and will still contact the same dispatch centers.

If you start noticing a pattern please post it here.

I've noticed that San Antonio has been responding to units in the old Region 3 area (now in Region 6; Comal, Bexar, Medina, Frio and Atascosa Counties) and these unit numbers have gone to 6500s. A 659X was on Comal SO P25 conventional yesterday.

I've heard 63XXs, 65XXs, 66XXs and 68XXs calling San Antonio (Repeater 21 and Base B1).

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
Haven't been back home to hear, and being in Longview right now, I am a little out of range of Tyler and the repeater east of Marshall. Source says they have all changed numbers now. As soon as I get back to Navasota, I will have the scanner a' scannin!

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I can confirm that Comal County is using 659X whereas, before the change they were 348Xs.

I believe Atascosa County is 654Xs.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
So far Tyler/Smith County is using 141x

I know they were 14XXs in the past also (146Xs maybe?)- do you recall what the third decimal was prior to the switch? There is a good chance that since they are still in Region 1, they didn't change. Obviously if they did change the overall number didn't change much (meaning they're still 14XXs anyway- as you confirmed 141Xs).

ke5fgc

Premium Subscriber
I went through some recordings and it looks like prior to the Switch it was 146X, 149X, 121x, 122x, 659x..

Also tonight i heard 1825.

If you have time and want to listen to the recordings go to: http://tyler.srjk.com:8084/

SCPD

QRT
DPS Numbering

Thank's Lou! We've really needed a DPS sticky for a long time.

I've logged:

1900's DPS Dallas (On DPS Garland - Mostly troopers in Dallas Co. but not tollways.)

Just logged: DPS 145 checking 10-41 at the Mesquite airport working with 101. My guess is he is a pilot, as he then stated 101 would be available all day. (And it sounded like the same voice as when 101 is airborne)

DPS 895 IS the Texas Ranger assigned to FANNIN & GRAYSON Counties. (His office is next to the OEM [New Fannin Sheriff's office] and he's always bugging us to turn the scanner up)

13XX still appear to be Lamar County or Sulphur Springs District.
11XX still appear to be Fannin/Grayson/Cooke or Sherman District.
16XX appear to be CVE working IH-35 off the Denton Repeater (Sherman)

One note on Dallas (KKA603) The console is MUCH louder now and seems to be operating in OPEN mode.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
Thank's Lou! We've really needed a DPS sticky for a long time.

I've logged:

1900's DPS Dallas (On DPS Garland - Mostly troopers in Dallas Co. but not tollways.)

Tollway units are 15xx and still operate in analog on 157.35. They've bounced back and forth between 155.445 and 157.35 over the years, but have settled on 157.35. They have a license at the tollway site on 155.445 and 155.4525. Perhaps, that's where they'll end when they go digital on the Tollways.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Tollway units are 15xx and still operate in analog on 157.35. They've bounced back and forth between 155.445 and 157.35 over the years, but have settled on 157.35. They have a license at the tollway site on 155.445 and 155.4525. Perhaps, that's where they'll end when they o digital on the Tollways.

155.4450 PL: 107.2 Are DPS Tollway Patrol SH-121. used to be PGB, now it seems PGB & DNT units are combined on 157.3500 PL: 162.2 And if you've driven 75 lately, there is a much greater presence of Troopers between Richardson and McKinney. Oh has anyone notices the LoJack antenna's on Dallas/Collin Trooper cars?

DPS Sherman has a hand full of 15XX units. I think they are Non CVE working Denton Co.

kw5kw

renumbering

12-01-09
Everyone in the DPS system was renumbered and it's not 100% uniform.
In the old system you could tell sgt's from cpl's from regular troops; now it's a bit more difficult.

in area 1c (mine) we have sgt's 1041,1042,1043,1044,1045 for sgt area 1c01(1041), 1c92(1042)... etc.
most corporals retain the zero at the end, ie: 1520, 1530 etc. We all went from region 5 in Palo Pinto and Parker, region 6 in Hood and Erath so they all got re-issued numbers in the 1000's. Other counties that got moved to a different region got re-issued numbers that reflect their new regions as well.

Us in the comm centers all were re-issued a number that begins with 9000 which used to be driver license. We're all still getting used to it ourselves.

kw5kw

I don't know exactly, but we have a sgt who's radio number is 1041... when he goes off duty 1041 is 10-42; we also have a sgt who's 1042, when he comes on duty it's 1042 is 10-41. Yeah! it's confusing. I'm saying one-zero forty-one or one-zero forty-two to call the unit then using a ten code.

They're working out the details on 'plain-speak,' supposed to be ready around the first of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.