Texas DPS Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
II was wondering if anyone can tell me why I never hear the DPS on my scanner? I have the frequencies loaded and hear all the local police but DPS is a mistery to me. Is there something I need to do differently? I have heard they send and receive on different channels but I am at a loss as what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

davidbond21

A couple of reasons to get things started:

-Increased use of MDTs, meaning that Troopers now can run plates and warrant checks through a wireless data network with the computer in their vehicle, sidestepping the need to have a dispatcher do this at their console and relay the results back. I've noticed DPS in my area has gotten quieter from the use of this.

-The Troopers may be on local or county radio systems when calling in routine traffic. This has been my experience in an extended area from where I am. In fact, it's not uncommon for me to hear a Trooper call in something on the County SO radio system, and then 2 minutes later for me to hear the same trooper talking to DPS Dispatch on one of their frequencies.

Maybe somebody closer to your general area can give you specifics of why you're not hearing them.

emd001

in my county the troopers switch between the sheriff channels around here. A trooper will be taking calls in 3 or 4 counties so they will just switch back and forth between the dispatch channels running traffic and calls they are enroute to depending on whats going on. We dont have p25 out here and they are too far from their district offices to get a decent radio signal so they just run it through their laptops or through the county dispatchers.

SCPD

QRT
II was wondering if anyone can tell me why I never hear the DPS on my scanner? I have the frequencies loaded and hear all the local police but DPS is a mistery to me. Is there something I need to do differently? I have heard they send and receive on different channels but I am at a loss as what to do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well, it also might be that your scanning them with an Analog scanner and DPS is fully P25 Digital. DPS Dallas is a busy frequency anytime of the day. Same with DPS Sherman and DPS Waxahachie. Unless you have a Digital scanner you won't hear any DPS on analog unless they are on a Local Sheriff repeater.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
in my county the troopers switch between the sheriff channels around here. A trooper will be taking calls in 3 or 4 counties so they will just switch back and forth between the dispatch channels running traffic and calls they are enroute to depending on whats going on. We dont have p25 out here and they are too far from their district offices to get a decent radio signal so they just run it through their laptops or through the county dispatchers.
Interesting. I know back in the day DPS Lufkin had a repeater on 159.21 in Coldspring. I wonder why they took it down after the P25 switch.

On a side note, it's a little humorous to me to see someone on here from Pointblank. My grandparents used to own a house off of Outlaw Ridge Road past JW Lane (for those of you playing at home, this is -or was- several miles from the nearest paved road and even farther than that to the nearest stop light) and the idea of having internet connectivity up there is.. ultra-hilarious. No offense to you, of course. ;p

Robert721

Dps

Just confirming that you have all the new NFM p-25 digital frequencies in your scanner. Looks like they could be sharing some time on the Victoria Public Safety Trunk system.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Lufkin DPS Dispatch on 2 or 3 frequencies. the 159.2100/159.2175 are still used as Mobile relays but there simulcast into what we used to call primary-A or primary-B. I just heard Lufkin DPS on 155.4525 NAC: 118 just fine. Look em up in the DB all of that stuff is in-the-clear Good new P25 crisp audio.

phillip_hamilton

Premium Subscriber
Texas DPS traffic in Collin County

Hello daileysmokinjo, Did you figure out your issue with finding DPS traffic?

If anyone can help me, I will appreciate it. I am new to scanner monitoring and a bit clueless at this stage. I just bought a GRE PSR-500. I subscribed here at radioreference.com and downloaded the Statewide APCO-25 Channel Plan and the Dallas and Sherman channels from Region 1. I am located in NE Collin County near Anna. I have had no problem listening to the Collin Co. Public services and McKinney police and fire.

I assign all these channels to a single "scan list" and tell it to scan. It never stops on any of the repeater or P25 channels. If the squelch is set very sensitive, it will stop on some of the channels with the squelch type "Search". I only hear white noise, no actual conversation.

Questions:
Is there a setting I am missing in importing the configuration to the radio?
Should I be picking up traffic in this part of Collin County?
When I find the DPS P25 channels on radioreference.com, they are under "Conventional" rather than "Trunked", this is correct, yes?

I will appreciate any help. Thanks!

Phillip

Status
Not open for further replies.