Texas: Gregg County-Gladewater

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyTexan

Evening Folks,

I keep hearing City of Gladewater referencing Tac 2 when listening to Police Dispatch. Are they referring to a secure channel that may be encrypted?

Thanks in advance.

178cc1d513c9c6215b3f349ef01835b1.png

nd5y

Do they call the dispatch channel Tac 1?
The database screen shot shows analog and digital police dispatch on the same frequency.
One could be Tac 1 and the other could be Tac 2.
Tac 2 could be another frequency that isn't in the database. You need to find the frequency first before you can tell if it's encrypted or not.

FuzzyTexan

Nope I don't hear any reference to Tac 1.

What is the best way to search? Possibly just scan near that frequency range and hope I catch it?

I am running a BCD436HP.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Evening Folks,

I keep hearing City of Gladewater referencing Tac 2 when listening to Police Dispatch. Are they referring to a secure channel that may be encrypted?

Thanks in advance.

178cc1d513c9c6215b3f349ef01835b1.png
Try 155.925. Gladewater is licensed for that in both analog and digital modes. It's not listed on the database page for the county. If that turns out to be it, then submit it to the database for update.

Also, some cities will set a "Tac" channel, such as this "Channel 2" by using the input frequency of the repeater, with a different PL DCS, or (if digital) NAC code. If that is what they are doing, try entering 156.00, which is the input frequency for the 155.2500 repeater channel. Note that if they are using one of these frequencies as a simplex Tac (Ch.2), then you'd need to be very close to hear them, especially if bith parties in the conversation are using a portable radio. As Tom (ND5Y) has already noted, if they are using encryption, then the scanner will ignore it.

FuzzyTexan

Thank you!!

I have added these to my favorites and scanning now. 155.925 hit right away with some traffic. I caught the end of a transmission so I think you are onto something.

I'm hoping to hear Tac 2 then traffic move over to that channel. I'll update thread accordingly.

Again thank you!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you!!

I have added these to my favorites and scanning now. 155.925 hit right away with some traffic. I caught the end of a transmission so I think you are onto something.

I'm hoping to hear Tac 2 then traffic move over to that channel. I'll update thread accordingly.

Again thank you!
When I'm trying to confirm something like this, I may throw together a specific Favorites list, or "system", containing only the frequencies (or talkgroups) for the ones I'm trying to sort out. Then, I set the scanner to record everything, on just those selected channels. I can listen to that later and see if I can solve the pattern with more recordings to listen to.

You could accomplish much the same thing by "holding" on Gladewater (which I presume you have as a 'system' under Gregg County'), and turning on record, letting it run overnight, or say when you were going to be out of the house, and not taking the scanner.

FuzzyTexan

Hiegtx,

It looks like 156.00 is another frequency of dispatch for Gladewater. I am picking up one end of the tx on 156.00 and the other 155.925. Which makes sense because before I felt like I was missing parts of conversations.

I'll look into submitted and addition for 156.00 Gladewater database.

5d42081ab04b21f88c45d72df66123af.jpg

d7c111bbf5bee816c54b6cc8b726281e.jpg

Try 155.925. Gladewater is licensed for that in both analog and digital modes. It's not listed on the database page for the county. If that turns out to be it, then submit it to the database for update.

Also, some cities will set a "Tac" channel, such as this "Channel 2" by using the input frequency of the repeater, with a different PL DCS, or (if digital) NAC code. If that is what they are doing, try entering 156.00, which is the input frequency for the 155.2500 repeater channel. Note that if they are using one of these frequencies as a simplex Tac (Ch.2), then you'd need to be very close to hear them, especially if bith parties in the conversation are using a portable radio. As Tom (ND5Y) has already noted, if they are using encryption, then the scanner will ignore it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hiegtx,

It looks like 156.00 is another frequency of dispatch for Gladewater. I am picking up one end of the tx on 156.00 and the other 155.925. Which makes sense because before I felt like I was missing parts of conversations.

I'll look into submitted and addition for 156.00 Gladewater database.

5d42081ab04b21f88c45d72df66123af.jpg

d7c111bbf5bee816c54b6cc8b726281e.jpg
Do you think that either 156.0000, or 155.925, is the elusive "Tac 2" ?

Remember that 156.0000 is the input for the dispatch frequency, 155.2500. So, if you are relatively near the unit transmitting, or from the control point (where dispatch is located), then you would hear traffic on 156.0000. Looking at the license, KUQ557, the transmit tower for the 155.925 repeater is in Upshur County, near Lake Gladewater. Now, they could control the repeater via a phone link, or other methods. But if the dispatchers are actually in Gladewater, and they are transmitting to the repeater on it's input frequency, that signal might be strong enough for you to pick up.

I would do a couple things to confirm usage. See if a different NAC code is being used for 156.0000 (or PL/DCS if analog is being used instead of digital). It's not uncommon to have different codes for input and the repeater output. Kaufman County, near me, uses the same frequency, 155.6400, for fire dispatch/page, as well as five fireground channels, with a different PL for each use of the same frequency. The dispatch repeater has an input frequency, 154.8750. The Fireground channels, 1 through 5, also use the 155.6400 frequency, but in simplex mode (no repeater).

I don't recall if you said you had more than one scanner available to you. But if your do, I'd park one of them on the dispatch frequency, 155.2500, and another on 156.0000, to make sure you are hearing something on 156.0000 besides just the repeater input.

Status
Not open for further replies.