Texas P25 VHF Frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

KVL3000

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I was wondering what some good VHF frequencies to listen to in the Denton/Dallas county area. I'm working on some stuff for college that has to do with P25 in the VHF band, and I wanna see if y'all have any reccomendations for what is busy and what isn't. I'm interested in any state government or federal government frequencies and it doesn't matter if they are encrypted.
Thank in advance!
-KG5PKX

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Hello all,
I was wondering what some good VHF frequencies to listen to in the Denton/Dallas county area. I'm working on some stuff for college that has to do with P25 in the VHF band, and I wanna see if y'all have any reccomendations for what is busy and what isn't. I'm interested in any state government or federal government frequencies and it doesn't matter if they are encrypted.
Thank in advance!
-KG5PKX
What you "might" be able to hear will be influenced on where you'll be listening from. In Dallas County, many of the suburb cities are on one of the trunked systems in the area. Dallas, both city and county, are mostly conventional analog for public safety. Balch Springs is using P25 on some conventional 800MHz frequencies for PD & FD. Hutchins is conventional P25 for PD.

In Ellis County, the S.O. is P25 on their Ch. 2, 159.450. Ferris & Glenn Heights are P25 (conv.) for PD. Midlothian & Red Oak were using P25 conv. For PD & Fire, but now they mostly utilize the FWRRS trunked system.

If you are monitoring from the Denton area, most of the cities are on the county P25 Phase II system. Denton (city) still has their old Moto Type II system, but will move, at some point, to the county system.

However, from Denton County, you may be able to monitor several of the surrounding counties where P25 is used by a number of jurisdictions. Wise County, to the west, has multiple P25 users, including fire departments and law enforcement.

Montague County, to the northwest, has a number of P25 users. Cook County, to the north, has only a couple, the S.O. & Gainesville PD. Grayson County, to the northeast, has a number of P25 conventional users.

You also should look at Texas DPS. While they do use a few of the area trunked systems sporadically, they utilize P25 on conventional Vhf-high frequencies. Use the Region I frequencies, especially those listed under Sherman, which dispatches from Denton & Sherman.

KVL3000

Premium Subscriber
What you "might" be able to hear will be influenced on where you'll be listening from. In Dallas County, many of the suburb cities are on one of the trunked systems in the area. Dallas, both city and county, are mostly conventional analog for public safety. Balch Springs is using P25 on some conventional 800MHz frequencies for PD & FD. Hutchins is conventional P25 for PD.

In Ellis County, the S.O. is P25 on their Ch. 2, 159.450. Ferris & Glenn Heights are P25 (conv.) for PD. Midlothian & Red Oak were using P25 conv. For PD & Fire, but now they mostly utilize the FWRRS trunked system.

If you are monitoring from the Denton area, most of the cities are on the county P25 Phase II system. Denton (city) still has their old Moto Type II system, but will move, at some point, to the county system.

However, from Denton County, you may be able to monitor several of the surrounding counties where P25 is used by a number of jurisdictions. Wise County, to the west, has multiple P25 users, including fire departments and law enforcement.

Montague County, to the northwest, has a number of P25 users. Cook County, to the north, has only a couple, the S.O. & Gainesville PD. Grayson County, to the northeast, has a number of P25 conventional users.

You also should look at Texas DPS. While they do use a few of the area trunked systems sporadically, they utilize P25 on conventional Vhf-high frequencies. Use the Region I frequencies, especially those listed under Sherman, which dispatches from Denton & Sherman.
Thank you for the quick reply! Im already doing some listening on the Denton Type II system (I go to UNT and i'm adding a lot of stuff pertaining to them) but my main area of focus is the VHF conventional P25 stuff in the area!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the quick reply! Im already doing some listening on the Denton Type II system (I go to UNT and i'm adding a lot of stuff pertaining to them) but my main area of focus is the VHF conventional P25 stuff in the area!
I suspect that you'll be able to hear many of the users in Wise, Montague, and the other counties to Denton's west through northeast. Those are all P25 Vhf conventional.

Stephen

Denton County still broadcast on 155.835 many of their fire tone outs. Several cities are licensed for VHF channels including Little Elm FD and Lake Cities FD though I have yet to listen to the channels to determine if they are using them. Denton County Emergency Services has a VHF analog repeater that they use occasionally though its mainly for just chatting about nothing.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
Its part of an education outreach program. Im showing people whats out there and all the cool stuff they can hear!
Why the VHF limitation? I'm sure you know 700/800 MHz trunking is king in almost all of the large population centers in Texas (or will be soon.)

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Texas DPS has said where feasible trunking 700/800 will be utilized. VHF where sites lack or VHF infrastructure is more feasible in rural or terrain where trunking wouldnt be cost effective.

Many have said it won't work in mountain terrain however I can attest to NMSP and their build outs proving otherwise with well engineered systems.

Eventually you'll see more 700 systems statewide in Texas and inevitably fully utilized in public safety with more features being added down pipeline with first net applications and 5g way down road I believe you'll see it all in the mix for these more larger entities once sites are built in populated areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.