Texas radio clubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5YOU

Alright so despite being a ham since 08 I have never been part of a club. The one I know of in the county (Montgomery Co, TX) is a ARES organization. But I will never utilize my ticket for ARES/RACES purposes. And before someone jumps on me about the purpose of the amateur radio service, I know what it is. But simple fact of the matter is that due to my employment being within the 911 system, if the EOC is active I'll being working. Thus precluding my possible involvment in such activity. Anyway enough about that and back on point. I was curious are there any clubs/amateur organizations that are not involved in ARES/RACES work? And if so any in SE TX?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The ARRL has a listing of ARRL-affiliated clubs at:

Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs

At quick glance, there are 147 listings in the State of Texas.

Even though your EOC may be activated for an emergency situation, there may be ARES participation opportunities that wouldn't involve EOC activation. I work about a dozen public service events a year (marathons, bike rides, etc.). The county EOC is only activated for the largest of these events.

emd001

You might want to check out the Woodlands Amateur Radio Club. I know they have a monthly meeting that is more general hobby oriented. I just cant make the meetings because of work.

Cowthief

Hello.

If you are involved in any way with 911 dispatch, I would stay away from clubs!
The problem is that clubs are a hangout for whackers.
I am not saying it is the club but the "Nature of the Business".
Take a theme park, that is a candy store for peds.
But, if you work in dispatch, you will very quickly discover, you are Not a cop, you are Not a firefighter, that is just the way it is.
And hanging around with wanna be cops or fire fighters is not good.
What happens when that person really screws up?
You know that you are going to hear about it!
Enjoy the hobby, and keep your job intact!

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
There are always clubs out there. I usually don't attend my local ARES/RACES club meetings though.

k6cpo

Hello.

If you are involved in any way with 911 dispatch, I would stay away from clubs!
The problem is that clubs are a hangout for whackers.
I am not saying it is the club but the "Nature of the Business".
Take a theme park, that is a candy store for peds.
But, if you work in dispatch, you will very quickly discover, you are Not a cop, you are Not a firefighter, that is just the way it is.
And hanging around with wanna be cops or fire fighters is not good.
What happens when that person really screws up?
You know that you are going to hear about it!
Enjoy the hobby, and keep your job intact!

Your comments are a sweeping generalization and highly inaccurate. Maybe your clubs and theme parks in Texas are like that, but that's not the case elsewhere. Of all of the clubs I have encountered, none are full of "whackers," no more than theme parks are a "candy store for peds."

I'm a member of three clubs and the President of one of them. I'm also the Public Information Officer for the local ARES organization and we don't have people like that.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Your comments are a sweeping generalization and highly inaccurate. Maybe your clubs and theme parks in Texas are like that, but that's not the case elsewhere. Of all of the clubs I have encountered, none are full of "whackers," no more than theme parks are a "candy store for peds."

I'm a member of three clubs and the President of one of them. I'm also the Public Information Officer for the local ARES organization and we don't have people like that.

Just look at who made the comment, and look at the BS he spews...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Most of the local clubs I've been to are just some gentlemen (who remember when transistors began to overtake tubes) who take advantage of the meetings to simply get away from their wives for 2 hours a week. It's rare if a radio even gets turned on.

Only those of us who have a public safety background or "in" really ever do anything on the volunteer side of the hobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.