Text Messaging on the MDT's, opps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warbirdhunter

Guess the whole freedom of speech thing only attaches if your living in a tent, in a public park and going to the bathroom in bags. Must be a slow news day. :roll:

jfab

I fail to see where the officers went wrong. I'm surprised that's all they said given what they have had to go through down there. More power to ya DPD! Keep up the good work and hopefully these idiots will go home soon!

f0urtyfive

Premium Subscriber
Depends on the context; if the messages are 1 user to 1 user then who cares... if its 1 to many (or all) then I'd be rather bothered that the DPD officers have such a lack of clear distinction between their personal opinions and job responsibilities (regardless of WHAT they're *****ing about).

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Hey fourty, let's not go there, please. There are a number of us that have a close relationship with DPD and we'd appreciate it if we didn't start something that'll get us all banned! Thanks!
Suffice to say that a "reminder" went out to all officers that MDT emails are all archived and can be retrieved at any time, and that "personal comments" are strongly discouraged. (You'd think that, the way everyone seems to have a smart phone these days, they'd stick to texting on their own dime...)

f0urtyfive

Premium Subscriber
Hey fourty, let's not go there, please. There are a number of us that have a close relationship with DPD and we'd appreciate it if we didn't start something that'll get us all banned!

I honestly dont have any clue what you're implying here; that my comments here would get people at the DPD "forbidden" from viewing this forum or how you'd like to respond would somehow get you banned from this forum... or something else? Either way I don't think I was trying to "start" anything. Just stating my opinion; I dont agree or disagree with the protesters (The marching through downtown and shutting down traffic is getting a little old but :/) but when an officer is on the job I expect them to "protect and serve" without their personal opinions or bias of the situation overshadowing how they're going about that. Had any type of force been used on those protestors (even if it was perfectly warranted) and something like this was brought into light I think it would look pretty damning against the DPD (even though its pretty clear they're joking around/expressing personal opinions in the messages).

Suffice to say that a "reminder" went out to all officers that MDT emails are all archived and can be retrieved at any time, and that "personal comments" are strongly discouraged.

I'm curious if officers were made aware ahead of time that anything they do on a public system is one FOIA / CFOIA / Discovery away from being made public (I thought this was fairly common knowledge; at least in my field it is and as we're not a government entity so we only have to worry about discovery for a lawsuit).

jeffreyinberthoud

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All one had to do was scan the story whenm you get to David Lane
Delete story.........See how easy it was MERRY CHRISTMAS and
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESUS hows that for free speach!!

n0doz

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I was trying to be unoffensive while pointing out that those of us with law enforcement backgrounds, who have no use for the entitlement-demanding simpletons (who are completely without a clue as to what they're "demonstrating" for) masquerading as protestors, take offense at the last part of your post, in which you "appear" to impugn the integrity of the police ("I'd be rather bothered that the DPD officers have such a lack of clear distinction between their personal opinions and job responsibilities (regardless of WHAT they're *****ing about).") No doubt you didn't mean it that way, but that's how it was taken. I was avoiding being blunt about it because the mods jump on exchanges that go the flame-route with both digital feet.
As for the lack of technical skills on the part of some officers, i.e., not knowing that MDT "e-mail" is archived, that would be completely accurate. For some reason, people forget that at the worst possible times. They all have smart phones, so you'd think they'd keep the personal stuff on the private systems. But, noooooooooo....

seberry

(who are completely without a clue as to what they're "demonstrating" for) masquerading as protestors

I agree that the messages they sent each other shouldn't be scrutinized, but you seem to have forgotten about the right to protest... Doesn't matter if you disagree with it, or if they are only "masquerading" as protesters, it's their right. I'd say the same thing about the tea party activists openly displaying guns in a protest as well. You can't pick and choose.

Warbirdhunter

I agree that the messages they sent each other shouldn't be scrutinized, but you seem to have forgotten about the right to protest... Doesn't matter if you disagree with it, or if they are only "masquerading" as protesters, it's their right. I'd say the same thing about the tea party activists openly displaying guns in a protest as well. You can't pick and choose.

That's not a fair comparison. How many people got arrested at Tea Party rally's? None. But the Occutards? Get arrested by the dozen. They only made a big deal out of this to help their " Denver PD is being mean :(" Case.

Maybe this thread should close before it gets ugly?

f0urtyfive

Premium Subscriber
How many people got arrested at Tea Party rally's? None. But the Occutards? Get arrested by the dozen.

Most of the arrests I've seen of occupy protestors are for staying after a demand to leave/vacate a park/location. All the tea-party protests I saw were mid-afternoon, none staying after sunset.

Status
Not open for further replies.