TG issues with SDS100 on MPSCS (Michigan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this goes here or on the Michigan Forum ? Please move to correct forum if more appropriate.
I apologize in advance. My problem is much easier to show in person than to describe here, but I will try my best. :)

I have an SDS100, with several hundred TG's in close to 100 SQK's on simulcast and conventional systems in Michigan, Ohio & Kentucky. 80% of my usage is home in SE Michigan on the MPSCS system. My everyday listening consists of maybe 5-10 local SQK's out of 40+in my area. I have been scanning long before programming was an option, and I have never had an issue like this.

I have 1 system for local 'EMS/Hospitals', (SQK #5) set up as 2 Departments. I also have another system set up for 'Road Commissions', (SQK #51), broken down into 3 Departments by county. Here is where my problem begins. I am using the same sites on these 2 SQK's as I am for all my other local systems. When downloaded into the radio, SQK #5 only scans the EMS TG's, not the hospital TG's. The Road Commission SQK #51 is downloaded, it shows 'Nothing to Scan'. I have no sites or TG's being 'avoided', everything is unlocked, system & site parameters are IDENTICAL to other working SQK's. I have completely deleted both & re-entered, using RR and by hand. If I try turning on the Road Comm, SQK #51 for instance, I hit '1.51 enter', it will show 'QuickKey 1.51=On'. Hitting it again will show 'QuickKey 1.51=Off', just like every other SQK. On the 'EMS/Hospital' SQK, the EMS TG's work fine, but the hospital TG's will not work. On the 'Road Commission' SQK, NONE of the TG's will scan. Adding to my confusion, if I dial into any of the 'Hospital' or 'Road Commission' QK's by hand, the TG's I programmed show up, but don't work. I have held the radio on single TG's with no luck. Finally, I tried entering all the site frequencies and TG's in by hand, grouping all TG's into 1 department, changing filter, NAC & end code settings & anything else that could be changed, just to be sure. No luck. I still have some of them in my old 436 & they work fine (except for the usual simulcast issues). I probably should mention my programming software is Butel and all my files get backed up on Sentinel. If no one has faced this problem, I assume my next step will be a factory reset and downloading all the data back in. That's fine, but if this is an ongoing issue I would rather find a solution rather than have to do a reset every time I add/change anything.

Thanks in advance, this is driving me crazy ! :eek:

-Phil

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Make sure you have the Service Type enabled for the TGs you entered. If you programmed them manually, that may be Custom 1.

freqseeker

I would make sure you have the service types selected. Hospital and Public Works specifically. I believe holding on the talkgroup should allow you to hear it. If that doesn't help I would compare the 436 file with the 100 file side by side.

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
Thanks ! Service Types are all on, hospital & public works, respectively. I thought you might have found my mistake. I did hear something on my county road commission locked on their TG just a few minutes ago, so that issue is eliminated. Still won't scan tho.

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
The latest downloads were from RR. Manual were from yesterday. I will try changing them to Custom 1 & see what happens. Also, I did some copy & paste of files from the 436 into the software when I first got the SDS1900. Worked fine. Just had to fix the added fields.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
If you are using the main dB they will be the ones FS mentioned. If you added them manually they default to Custom 1.

If that is not it, make sure you don't have location control enabled and make sure the Dept or Channels are not AVOIDed.

Also make sure you do not have the SITE assigned the same Quick Key as the Hospitals. If you do, disabling the hospitals will disable that Site.

If they are working on your 436, you could read that using Sentinel then write to your SDS. You may lose some of the SDS unique settings like display colors.

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
I switched them to Custom 1 & it is scanning now. Thanks so much guys !! To be perfectly honest, I always assumed the Service Type was used more for selecting the services you wanted to hear when using the zip code programming. One last question. If I have Custom 1 types on TG's from the dB, will it still work ? Kind of the same situation but backwards.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I switched them to Custom 1 & it is scanning now. Thanks so much guys !! To be perfectly honest, I always assumed the Service Type was used more for selecting the services you wanted to hear when using the zip code programming. One last question. If I have Custom 1 types on TG's from the dB, will it still work ? Kind of the same situation but backwards.

You can change those to the appropriate Service Type if you want.

Service Types apply to any scanning method.

There should not be any Custom 1 types in the main dB.

There is no reason to ignore the end code.

Not sure what the question on analog/digital is. I program channels for the applicable type unless I don't know it.

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
The analog/digital was in reference to the end code option. The choices are Ignore, Analog, and Analog/Digital. Ok, so most of the TG's I add from the dB, then change the Alpha Tag to something more personalized. I see many of the Service Types on my working systems are Custom 1. Thanks again !! I have been trying to figure out the issue for weeks. Figured it was something simple I had entered incorrectly.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
You would want to use the end code for both analog/digital.

philkoz

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, that's weird. I'm using the BuTel software and it gives these options in the dropdown. That dropdown box is present when any system type is selected. I wonder if it is just generic, and only functions if the system type allows ? My earlier issues with TG's not scanning was solved by correcting the Service Types. Everything's been working fine since then. Thanks again... SDS100.jpg

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's allowing you to set options regardless of whether they are actually used by the system type.

Status
Not open for further replies.