TGID NC DEA

Status
Not open for further replies.

deputyb716

Premium Subscriber
I have recently updated my scanner and have reprogrammed it to be able to monitor the newly rebanded Wake County talkgoups. Since then, I have not been able to monitor DEA. Typically I have been able to listen to them on bother DEA raleigh and common. I am using the current TGID listed in RR but hear absolutely nothing.

Any help here?

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Been listening to them all morning on Viper with TG id of 60600

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I have recently updated my scanner and have reprogrammed it to be able to monitor the newly rebanded Wake County talkgoups. Since then, I have not been able to monitor DEA. Typically I have been able to listen to them on bother DEA raleigh and common. I am using the current TGID listed in RR but hear absolutely nothing.

Any help here?

This is where a little understanding of recent radio system changes comes into play.
Up till a few months ago The VIPER Radio system and the Wake County Radio System
shared resources (towers, talkgroups). That has all changed. These days the only users you should hear on the Wake County Radio System are Wake County Public Safety Users and no state or federal users.
DEA falls under Federal & State agencies so their comms take place on the VIPER Radio system and not the Wake County Radio System.
Something else to consider is that the VIPER system no longer operates in Simulcast format in Central NC. It operates in Smartzone format which means you need to enter the VIPER tower site closest to you and hope that a DEA radio is affiliated (using) that tower.
Marshall KE4ZNR

kc4wsd

Premium Subscriber
It was interesting to hear traffic earlier this afternoon on the Greensboro site that was both encrypted, and in the clear. A female was monitoring two different radios (maybe the Greensboro/Guilford County system), and was transmitting in the clear. At least two other users (based on radio IDs) were encrypted.

ecps92

OR the 2nd Radio was a DEA Radio

It was interesting to hear traffic earlier this afternoon on the Greensboro site that was both encrypted, and in the clear. A female was monitoring two different radios (maybe the Greensboro/Guilford County system), and was transmitting in the clear. At least two other users (based on radio IDs) were encrypted.

deputyb716

Premium Subscriber
Ok, now I'm totally confused. Would it be possible for one of you to walk me through how to manually set it up on my BCT996T. I have used software for set up the Wake County system and it works fine, but I'm just not sure what sites to enter of if there is anything special to enter when setting up the Viper system separate in the scanner.

Or if you can point me to a wiki that would work too.....

Thanks for all the help!!

p3nt4g0n

Premium Subscriber

Indeed, I believe though she was relaying info from the DEA channel to the local county narcotics unit for the surveillance. It was definately a neat session to listen too.

WA4MJF

This is where a little understanding of recent radio system changes comes into play.
Up till a few months ago The VIPER Radio system and the Wake County Radio System
shared resources (towers, talkgroups). That has all changed. These days the only users you should hear on the Wake County Radio System are Wake County Public Safety Users and no state or federal users.
DEA falls under Federal & State agencies so their comms take place on the VIPER Radio system and not the Wake County Radio System.

Marshall KE4ZNR

Are you sure that there are no State users on the Wake County System? The data base
lists the NC State Fairgrounds, NC Legislative PD and the State Capitol PD as users. Of course,
it may not have been up dated.

Ronnie

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Fairground, State Capitol police, and NC legislative police are heard on the Wake County system. The TG id for them are correct.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Are you sure that there are no State users on the Wake County System? The data base
lists the NC State Fairgrounds, NC Legislative PD and the State Capitol PD as users. Of course,
it may not have been up dated.

Ronnie

Allright Ronnie to be 100% accurate there are a few users that could fall under a "state" designation but for the most part state/federal users will be on the VIPER system and Wake County users will be on the Wake County System.
My original point stands: These are 2 separate radio systems and as such do not share talkgroups nor radio IDs.
You won't hear DEA talkgroup activity on the Wake County Radio System.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Drafin

Been listening to them all morning on Viper with TG id of 60600

I would also add that you may try searching from 60600 sequentially up through about 60620. I have heard some traffic in my local area on those TGIDs that could be DEA. I can't confirm it though and would have no way of know what office it is or where they are stationed, hence no submission yet to the database.

Draf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.