TGID priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireMedic658

Is there any way to set a priority for a Specific tgid? I have an alert on it but if another tgid is talking I don’t want to miss out on my “priority traffic.” Thx!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Is there any way to set a priority for a Specific tgid? I have an alert on it but if another tgid is talking I don’t want to miss out on my “priority traffic.” Thx!
You can set a Priority tag on a TGID. But you also have to enable Priority scan for that specific system,. This is different than what is set for a conventional channel. For conventional, you can toggle Priority scan on and off with keystroke, But that does not enable (nor disable) trunked system priority.

Go to Options for the specific trunked system you want to set. That's where you enable Priority ID scan. In the Department (x36HP & SDS series scanners) or the Group (XT & P2 series), edit the specific talkgroup to flag it for Priority. The scanner will monitor the control channel data for the system, & if a TGID you have tagged for Priority becomes active, the scanner will switch to it. Note that this only works while the scanner is receiving that specfic trunked system. If it is scanning through conventional channels, then the TGID Priority Scan is not going to be checked. Also, if if is in "Trunked System B", then it will not switch to a Priority ID in any other system. It only monitors the priority ID when it scans that specific system.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Taking into consideration what hiegtx stated, the answer is yes and no... “No” if you scan both conventional and trunked systems, the priority feature for trunked systems will not bring you directly to that TG you’ve tagged as priority until the scanner is scanning that particular trunked system. You need to wait for the scanner to first clear the conventional systems and other trunked groups you have programmed. If, as you say, you don’t want to miss anything, you would need to set up the scanner to monitor only that one trunked system and prioritize that one particular TG. You might as well forget the trunked priority feature and lock the scanner down on that one particular TG for all the good trunked priority does for you. (Unless you only listen to a large regional trunking system where you are only listening to TG’s on that system, no other trunked systems, no conventional systems!)

I would be running a cheaper dedicated scanner or receiver, locked down on the TG in question. To dedicate a X36HP or SDS model for this intent is overkill. As it is, I find I miss a lot of comms even when I run the priority features on conventional systems, never mind trunked systems, because I have loaded the scanner with many systems. (I prefer the DND priority option-can’t tolerate the constant “dropping” of what I’m listening to while the scanner jumps to the priority channel(s) to see if they have become busy.)

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Related, also see BCD325P2: - Priority Channels

Essentially its not like analog - conventional frequencies where you can set anything as priority.
Digital, the priority works when you have it set for priority and your 911 also sets that talkgroup as priority. Normally police, fire dispatches are set as priority. Others can be found by setting as priority and when you know they are active hold on another talkgroup and if it switches over to it, then its a priority.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Related, also see BCD325P2: - Priority Channels

Essentially its not like analog - conventional frequencies where you can set anything as priority.
Digital, the priority works when you have it set for priority and your 911 also sets that talkgroup as priority. Normally police, fire dispatches are set as priority. Others can be found by setting as priority and when you know they are active hold on another talkgroup and if it switches over to it, then its a priority.
The difference being the scanner won’t be searching for a busy trunked TG while it’s scanning conventional. As I understand it the trunked priority TG’s will only be searched for while the scanner is scanning that particular trunked system. Corrections welcomed...

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
That model doesnt do priority on ANY trunking systems at all. I used to own one, my first digital and first trunking scanner.

FireMedic658

That model doesnt do priority on ANY trunking systems at all. I used to own one, my first digital and first trunking scanner.
Bummer. Oh well. I'm actually doing id search and when it stops on a tgid, I search it on the mpscs and enter the name in. I know it would be easier with freescan but the cable I ordered isn't the right pin configuration for my computer, plus its kind of fun to do it this way.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
But if another tgid is talking I don’t want to miss out on my “priority traffic.” Thx!

The feature you are describing is "preemption" where the scanner jumps off an active channel to check for activity on a priority channel.

Unfortunately there are no Uniden scanners that will do preemption on P25 trunked systems. They will for conventional systems.

(A lot of folks would like to see preemption on P25 systems.)

Reactions: RRR

FireMedic658

The feature you are describing is "preemption" where the scanner jumps off an active channel to check for activity on a priority channel.

Unfortunately there are no Uniden scanners that will do preemption on P25 trunked systems. They will for conventional systems.

(A lot of folks would like to see preemption on P25 systems.)
Hopefully they'll add it soon. Couldn't they add it into a firmware update if they wanted to?

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
396xt series havent had firmware updates for a couple years never will, 396T have been even longer. Last time update was "Topic revision: r12 - 28 Jun 2011 - PaulOpitz "

FYI the xt series and current series do have priority on trunked systems and it works, just as I said above I can HOLD on a talkgroup and it will go to another priority talkgroup when there is activity. Again it also has to be set as priority officially on the system.

FireMedic658

396xt series havent had firmware updates for a couple years never will, 396T have been even longer. Last time update was "Topic revision: r12 - 28 Jun 2011 - PaulOpitz "

FYI the xt series and current series do have priority on trunked systems and it works, just as I said above I can HOLD on a talkgroup and it will go to another priority talkgroup when there is activity. Again it also has to be set as priority officially on the system.
Ok. I'll play around with it. thx.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully they'll add it soon. Couldn't they add it into a firmware update if they wanted to?

very doubtful if they haven’t already done so. There has been many previous discussions on this subject. The x36 line came out as did the SDS line. Those would have been good opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.