TGID with no name displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Craigvtx

I am listening to my SDS100 scanner and I notice that it is stopping on certain tgids but there no channel name. It displays the trunking system name, but no dept. nor channel name. Is there a setting I can change? How is this happening? Can anyone help.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am listening to my SDS100 scanner and I notice that it is stopping on certain tgids but there no channel name. It displays the trunking system name, but no dept. nor channel name. Is there a setting I can change? How is this happening? Can anyone help.
It sounds like you are scanning in ID Search mode, not ID Scan.

ID Scan stops only on talkgroups that are programmed, as long as they are not Avoided (locked out), and are not in a Department that is Avoided. The Service Type would need to be enabled as well.

ID Search stops on any active talkgroup, as long as it is not Avoided (you can Avoid (lockout) a talkgroup that is not programmed). If the talkgroup is already programmed, you would see the text tag that is associated with it. If the TGID is NOT programmed, then the 'text tag' would simply be the talkgroup ID (no descriptive text). As the unprogrammed talkgroups are not classified with a Service Type, you would hear any that are active.

When your scanner is on the system in question, look at the display. If you are in ID Search mode, you'll see "ID Search" scrolling across the display. Similarly, if ID Scan is in play, you would see 'ID Scan' scrolling instead. You can set that in Sentinel under the Options tab for the system in question. On the scanner itself, press the Function key, then immediately press the E/yes (enter) to toggle between ID Search and ID Scan.

dispatch235

Premium Subscriber
Ditto on the radio being in ID Search mode... I use my HP-2 this way and if the TG is not in my favorites list it will show on the display with the TG number only.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
If you create an FL and think it's smart to just delete the DB items "you don't want to listen too"; Then enable ID Search Mode, This is the result.

Or they really are new TG's that have not been ID'd and submitted by a user to the RRDB yet..

Last edited:

Craigvtx

ID Scan stops only on talkgroups that are programmed, as long as they are not Avoided (locked out), and are not in a Department that is Avoided. The Service Type would need to be enabled as well.

ID Search stops on any active talkgroup, as long as it is not Avoided (you can Avoid (lockout) a talkgroup that is not programmed). If the talkgroup is already programmed, you would see the text tag that is associated with it. If the TGID is NOT programmed, then the 'text tag' would simply be the talkgroup ID (no descriptive text). As the unprogrammed talkgroups are not classified with a Service Type, you would hear any that are active.

When your scanner is on the system in question, look at the display. If you are in ID Search mode, you'll see "ID Search" scrolling across the display. Similarly, if ID Scan is in play, you would see 'ID Scan' scrolling instead. You can set that in Sentinel under the Options tab for the system in question. On the scanner itself, press the Function key, then immediately press the E/yes (enter) to toggle between ID Search and ID Scan.
Thank you. This has helped alot

Dexter2

Hello, I am new as well. These unprogrammed talkgroups, what would the service type be if not yet classified or would it be as such as the others in the ID/List? Thanks!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Hello, I am new as well. These unprogrammed talkgroups, what would the service type be if not yet classified or would it be as such as the others in the ID/List? Thanks!
There's no way to know without listening to traffic on the talkgroup for a while to see what it is. That's one reason not to delete stuff from a trunked system when making a Favorite List. Every talkgroup you delete goes back into the "unprogrammed" category.

Dexter2

Thank you Jon, now say if a Talk Group gets picked up, how to save it? Do you add it to its own Department, or do you add it to one of the already talk groups programmed as an additional channel? When it appeared it showed as "Unknown" in the Department" and then the Talkgroup number on the bottom.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Create a new Department named Unknown in the system (or a name you like, don't forget a quick key) Then add the unidentified TG's to that department and give each a description (best guess/if known) and assign a Service Type of your choosing. Default is Custom 1
If using location based scanning you'll also need to create location info for the Department. (Or place them in an existing Department)..
Then, as time goes by, you may eventually figure out what those unknown TG's are and then they can be re-named appropriately; Then users submit this new found info to the DB and then it gets added to the appropriate Department and then everyone that updates their DB will get the new TG's in their programming. This is how it's always worked.. It's why there is a DB with known TG's in the first place...

Once this new Department is created and new TG's appear they can be added to this department by pressing E and saving them there.

Dexter2

Create a new Department named Unknown in the system (or a name you like, don't forget a quick key) Then add the unidentified TG's to that department and give each a description (best guess/if known) and assign a Service Type of your choosing. Default is Custom 1
If using location based scanning you'll also need to create location info for the Department. (Or place them in an existing Department)..
Then, as time goes by, you may eventually figure out what those unknown TG's are and then they can be re-named appropriately; Then users submit this new found info to the DB and then it gets added to the appropriate Department and then everyone that updates their DB will get the new TG's in their programming. This is how it's always worked.. It's why there is a DB with known TG's in the first place...

Once this new Department is created and new TG's appear they can be added to this department by pressing E and saving them there.

Thank you! What is a Quick Key and is that mandatory? You can press "E" on the main screen has the TG appears?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Quick Keys are not mandatory, they are a quick way to manually toggle things on and off from the scanner keypad.

u2brent

OAMPT
Premium Subscriber
Thank you! What is a Quick Key and is that mandatory? You can press "E" on the main screen has the TG appears?
Quick Keys are not required as Jon indicated.
Yes, pressing E while a channel is active, will bring up a menu that allows you to save/edit the item.

Dexter2

What does it mean when a talkgroup appears, but it goes from "DATA" to blank and not "P25".

Dexter2

When I saved a TG today, it said to save as channel or Unit ID. What is a Unit ID?

Status
Not open for further replies.