TH-9000 (220mhz version) question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Received my TH-9000 radio yesterday and I think I'm bald today. Been pulling my hair out since last night. And I thought a Baofeng was a b!@#h to program.

Anyway, just have a quick question for anyone who owns one of these suckers. I can't seem to find any reference in the (poorly translated) manual about setting the frequency shift when manually programming this thing. Does the radio set the 1.6MHz offset automatically? I'm thinking that may be why I can't hit the local repeaters.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

:)

Maybe after I get thing figured out (IF I get it figured out) I'm going to set down and make a programming cheat sheet not only for myself, but share it with others so they don't become bald. LOL

Last edited:

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I am interested in the 220 version of this radio also. Do the local repeaters there require a PL tone? That could be a cause of you not bringing them up.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

I am interested in the 220 version of this radio also. Do the local repeaters there require a PL tone? That could be a cause of you not bringing them up.

Of the two repeaters I'm trying to hit, one uses a PL tone and the other doesn't. I've got the correct PL tone programmed in (at least I think I do) so I don't think that's the issue.

I think at this point I need to step away from the thing for a while before I blow my top. Maybe fresh eyes and a fresh mind will help later this evening.

jhooten

I paid the extra for the programming cable it is so much easier.

The information you seek is on page 27 of the manual starting about the middle of the page and continues on to the top of page 28.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

I paid the extra for the programming cable it is so much easier.

The information you seek is on page 27 of the manual starting about the middle of the page and continues on to the top of page 28.

Thanks for the information jhooten, I appreciate it. Got the offset frequency programmed in, but still not hitting the repeater. I think I'm having trouble with the PL tone. I can't seem to find the correct way to set and confirm the setting. What the manual says and what happens when I follow it are two totally different things. And when I think I have it set, when I check it again, it has "reset" to 62.5, or whatever the default is. Grrrrrrr!!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the music!! Finally got the freakin' thing figured out!!

Once I got the offset freq programmed in, it still wasn't working. The manual, which I think is written for all three flavors of the TH-9000, said to press the P4 button repeatedly to set the offset direction. Well, that didn't work, so with a fresher mind today, I decided to hold the P4 button in even longer than the 2 seconds the manual recommends for some functions, and lo and behold, what happened? The little "-" sign appeared on the display. Saved the information, keyed up the microphone and connected to the repeater.

Now I can get a few other frequencies programmed in and I'll be good to go to put this puppy through its paces.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate the responses to my original question.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

When you do get it programmed it is much better than the Jetstream JT-220M and pretty close to the Alinco in performance.

Well, I don't have the other two radios you mentioned to compare my TH-9000 to, but I do have to say that I am very pleased with the performance of this radio so far.

Using, for right now, just a 220MHz mobile antenna mounted up in my attic, I'm able to hit all the area repeaters, plus a couple that aren't quite "local." The receive audio is crisp and clear, and I've been told my transmit audio is solid.

Now that I've got the manual programming figured out, this radio is a breeze to operate. The display is bright, although I don't particularly care for the blue colored display (currently using the purple), and the adjustable brightness level (32 levels) is quite nice as well.

Other than the slow start with the programming, I'm quite happy I went with this radio. May have to get the 2 meter version for my car. Assuming it's the same size as the 220 version, I know just the place I would install it.

SCPD

QRT
Mic

Well, I don't have the other two radios you mentioned to compare my TH-9000 to, but I do have to say that I am very pleased with the performance of this radio so far.

Using, for right now, just a 220MHz mobile antenna mounted up in my attic, I'm able to hit all the area repeaters, plus a couple that aren't quite "local." The receive audio is crisp and clear, and I've been told my transmit audio is solid.

Now that I've got the manual programming figured out, this radio is a breeze to operate. The display is bright, although I don't particularly care for the blue colored display (currently using the purple), and the adjustable brightness level (32 levels) is quite nice as well.

Other than the slow start with the programming, I'm quite happy I went with this radio. May have to get the 2 meter version for my car. Assuming it's the same size as the 220 version, I know just the place I would install it.

It has good audio on both transmit and receive,but I would recommend keep an eye on the microphone button,friend of mine broke his PTT button.Ebay sells microphones for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.