Kenwood: TH-D74 antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

Just received my TH-D74 today, for those of you who have one, did you replace the stock antenna with something else if so what are you using ?

Thanks

Sylvain
VA2FCS

Hit_Factor

I swept the antenna on my thd74 ht, it came in very good. Probably won't find a better one unless you go longer, like 18 inches. I think there is only one tribander option available commercially.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I swept the antenna on my thd74 ht, it came in very good. Probably won't find a better one unless you go longer, like 18 inches. I think there is only one tribander option available commercially.

Thanks, i don't think i'll be using 220 so i guess a dual band would be enough for me. I'll use the stock antenna for now. I was just wandering if there was any other antennas available

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I have the Diamond SRH320A tribander and it works a bit better than the stock, its just long at 14".

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
+1 on the Diamond SRH320A. I first used it with the Kenwood TH-F6A. I then purchased more and use them on other radios/receivers and definitely with the D74A. Even if you do not use it for 1.25 meters, it is a great handheld antenna for 2 m and 70 cm.

I used my D74A stock antenna for testing and put it back into the box. Still, for only 2m and 70cm the stock antenna was not too bad. The stock antenna was much worse on 1.25m than the SRH320A.

N4DJC

Whatever you do, don't lose the D74A stock antenna, it's over $80 from Kenwood or PacParts.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I think I'm on my second SRH320A. The issue that I have with it is that the element above the "bump in the middle" is very flexible while the rest of the antenna is kinda stiff. That upper element will take a set if it's bent too far. As I recall, I accidentally broke my first one at that point. I keep wondering if a piece of heat shrink tubing about 2 inches long so it will bridge the upper element to the "bump in the middle" would provide some reinforcement to that junction.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I have both the SRH320A and the SRH77CA and the latter is better. I can hit repeaters farther with better quieting. But oddly enough the 320 seems better for APRS.

jazzboypro

Premium Subscriber
I programmed the repeaters in my area into the radio and just went outside to see how it does with the stock antenna. I'm glad to see that i was able to hit several of them and even some that are pretty far from my QTH. I wish it was an Icom, i much prefer Icom's system to program the radio.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hmm...I have not destroyed any of mine yet, but that thin bit at the top has a slight lean on one of them. I do like your idea of the shrink tubing for support, so I made the fix by building them up (Left to Right). On the last one (black) I did not overlap at the top, as it would not shrink down to the size of the little whip of the antenna, but fits fine on the red. Even with the initial white tubing I could feel and see the difference with a slight shake. Each additional layer helped, as one would expect.

On the far right image of a different antenna, I made it progressive and longer. Each tube is 2 cm. It definitely re-enforces that spot.
SRH320Afix.jpg IMG_1763.jpg

I think I'm on my second SRH320A. The issue that I have with it is that the element above the "bump in the middle" is very flexible while the rest of the antenna is kinda stiff. That upper element will take a set if it's bent too far. As I recall, I accidentally broke my first one at that point. I keep wondering if a piece of heat shrink tubing about 2 inches long so it will bridge the upper element to the "bump in the middle" would provide some reinforcement to that junction.

I have all three versions of the 77CA antenna. No other dual band antenna I have tested beats them on UHF in the amateur band. On VHF it is definitely not as good as the 320A. I presume the repeaters you hit further were UHF. I can also see how the SRH320A performed better for APRS as it is much improved on VHF.
I have both the SRH320A and the SRH77CA and the latter is better. I can hit repeaters farther with better quieting. But oddly enough the 320 seems better for APRS.

Last edited:

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone compared the durability of the Diamond SRH320A to the Comet HT224?

I recently bought the Comet and the first day the antenna started separating from the base, while walking the dog with the TH-D72 clipped to my pocket.

W8WCA

I had that happen to mine but it is still good as ever just has a slight tilt above the coil

Status
Not open for further replies.