Kenwood: TH-D74 encoder knob issue, just cycles back and forth

Status
Not open for further replies.

ve2ihs

Hi all,

My th-d74 knob enc turns fine and is tight, but it only cycles back and forth in any direction. Any way to fix this? clues? No matter how many clicks I do one direction or another, it just cycles back and forth in any menu.

Thanks.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
That knob controls frequency, or volume. You choose in the menu. Alternatively, I wonder if there is a lock feature and that knob is disabled.

ve2ihs

Say again? Yes the bottom part is for volume, works fine. The top part just doesn't do it's job. Either in the menu or the frequency it just cycles.

I can't find in the menu anything related to knob control (?)

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Ahh...yeah that does sound like an issue. If the lock was enabled it would say lock on the screen, but you appear to be able to make other adjustments.

Also, method to change what the dial on top does is enabled by pressing the button on the bottom left ( Dial SEL ). You can choose either frequency/memory change or Volume for the dial. Give that a whirl and see if you can change it. Once you press that Dial/Sel button you would use the dial button on top to change the setting. If nothing happens, it appears your D74A needs to be sent in for repair.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Oh good god, I was thinking of an entirely different radio.

Okay, on my D74 if I turn the knob in memory mode it will keep on going through the all of the memories going up or down depending on the direction I turn it. Also, while in the "Menu", it will continue to cycle through all of the options depending on the direction. At this point I agree that something is definitely wrong with your D74.

* Alternatively, instead of using the dial, I typically use the rocker switch with the arrows, but your problem still exists *

I gave a quick glance to the manuals and I did not find something that would make the "[ENC] control" dial perform the way it is on your unit. Perhaps backing up your data to a MicroSD card and resetting your radio may fix the issue. Check your radio to see if the dial works immediately after the reset. If it does then re-install your memories and settings and then check the dial again. That is what I would try.

Actually, after you backup your data I recommend checking to see if you have the latest firmware as well, or at least 1.10 which is what I am using and everything is working fine. Also make sure your battery is charged up well enough. Radios can act wonky with very low batteries.

My th-d74 knob enc turns fine and is tight, but it only cycles back and forth in any direction. Any way to fix this? clues? No matter how many clicks I do one direction or another, it just cycles back and forth in any menu.

ve2ihs

Thanks for the research, I've checked everything for the past 3-4 hours. I did everything you said. After eliminating everything, I'm guessing it's a faulty Volume/Encoder Control. I'll use the rocker in the mean time. I'm not sure I'll take the gamble to sent it to repair, I'm good but not enough to solder minuscule stuff, and I won't trust warranty. I'll ask around friends.

It's a shame, it still look like new.

Thanks again chat.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
As you probably know the D74A is already out of production. Still, if under warranty I would at least inquire with Kenwood. They probably have parts, but did not have enough of particular parts to keep it in production.

As to warranty, I have had two or three Kenwood D710 mobile radios that were years out of warranty and I was not the original owner. There was a bad filter on a batch of units and Kenwood fixed them all...out of warranty. I only paid shipping to the repair center and they fixed and shipped them back.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Check to make sure you didn't lock the radio inadvertently (it's actually easy to do).. If the radio is locked, the selector dial won't work..

Look in the photo below. If the gold key (top right) is there then the radio is locked. If so, push and hold the unlock button (lower right) for more than 2 seconds. That should do it.. If not, then it might be a faulty encoder.

Attachments

• TH-d74.jpg
    TH-d74.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

N4DJC

Encoders are available for the D74 from PacParts, but it’s a tedious task to get to it to replace it. They’re under $20 IIRC. Sadly, Kenwood is no longer repairing radios in house. I would contact Leo at Kenwood service for more information..

Status
Not open for further replies.