Thailand coup

Status
Not open for further replies.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
I caught some headlines about the coup in Thailand and the declaration of martial law. I've never monitored Thailand before, and so I don't even know what's available. Anyone know of worthwhile HF freqs to monitor?

Last edited:

elk2370bruce

Try these on for size. This is also based on whether or not external service broadcasts are being permitted.

English 0000-0030 9570 Europe, Africa
0030-0100 5890 N America (E)
0300-0330 5890 N America (W)
0530-0600 17655 Europe
1230-1300 9835 Asia Pacific
1400-1430 9680 Asia Pacific
1900-2000 7155 Europe
2030-2045 9535 Europe

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Actually per DXLD the 0300 broadcast was retimed to 0200 some months ago. The 0030 broadcast is via Greenville, the 0200 is via Delano. Unfortunately there's some evidence that the news broadcasts are not live, but tape delayed, and by the time we will hear them here in NA, it's the next UT day - not sure what, if anything, we will hear, but my RX320 will be listening.....also the 1400 broadcast is now on 9830, and the 2030 broadcast is now on 9680.
For those listening direct, I hope the propagation gods are kind....73s Mike

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Thanks all! I never seem to have too much luck hearing DX from that part of the world, but hey, now's the time to try. Didn't know about the taped broadcasts, either, sigh...

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
I hope that all of my friends in Thailand are a OK. This is really scary and will do a lot to destabilize the economy of this country, especially in the eyes of foreign investors. Thankfully, there no reports of any casualties from this event.

73's

Ron

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
According to some news repts, their consitution is suspended, banks and schools are closed; these are not good signs at all. Should be some decent listening, if the bands would settle down a bit. Spaceweather reports we are exiting a solar wind stream, so conditions are a bit disturbed.

The data files at PrimeTime Shortwave were updated 3 days ago; I don't know when the last ILG files were updated, as I am not a subscriber). If Thailand's English is replaced with martial music and Thai broadcasts (as sometimes happens in these cases), english will no doubt be heard from Vietnam (probably via Sackville will be easiest), Beijing (with their own slant, no doubt), North Korea (ditto), South Korea and Japan. Myanmar (Burma for those that didn't know...) and Laos are very hard catches on the East Coast.

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/

73s Mike

[edit] They've been on intermittently, playing the same piano mx over and over again in a loop, with numerous breaks. Background noise suggests that instead of a satellite feed, Greenville is working off a phone feed, which was probably hurridely set up and not with good balance, either. Slightly overmodulated, and the signal is a bit fluttery due to the solar conditions. SR5 (a popular DSP audio processor) confirms the background noise. This also suggests that the regular staff at R Thailand have also been told to go home and engineers likely had to set this up in a hurry.

Last edited:

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
From an article on Bloomberg.com:

"The Thai Political Reform Council said it was in control of the Southeast Asian nation of 65 million and declared allegiance to King Bhumibol Adulyadej, according to statements read on state television. Thaksin, who was in New York when the coup took place, declared a state of emergency. "

Status
Not open for further replies.