• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Thales Liberty all band portable, FPP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
I have seen a few of these for sale on ebay. I have considered buying one but have had non pleasant experiences with FPP using Motorola product in the past hence Im little hesitant to buy. Can anyone speak of their experiences with this radio and using the FPP. if i was to use on of these radios i would need to be able to set it up this way.

- VHF and UHF analog and p25 conventional freq's, both for public safety and ham radio.
- alpha tagging
- set up zones
- create scan lists

is all of this possible via FPP ?

Thank you

73's W3AJP

prcguy

I had a Liberty for about a week (picked it up on Ebay for $107) and you can modify parameters in existing channels but you can't actually program the radio like a Yaesu or Icom. The Liberty is old and not supported in any way and right now there is not a single new battery on the planet you can buy for any price. That may change if a vendor decides to make aftermarket batteries but its not happened yet.

A better solution is the Harris XG-100P, its still supported with plenty of new and used accys available and its easy to modify existing channels for frequency, alpha tags, PL, DPL, NAC, etc. I have one and program a few scratch channels in every zone that I can modify on the fly. Still not a radio you can FPP everything from scratch but it satisfies my needs.

TDR-94

Support will end for the XG-100P in mid 2022,so still supported for around another year and a half.

Last edited:

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
I had a Liberty for about a week (picked it up on Ebay for $107) and you can modify parameters in existing channels but you can't actually program the radio like a Yaesu or Icom. The Liberty is old and not supported in any way and right now there is not a single new battery on the planet you can buy for any price. That may change if a vendor decides to make aftermarket batteries but its not happened yet.

A better solution is the Harris XG-100P, its still supported with plenty of new and used accys available and its easy to modify existing channels for frequency, alpha tags, PL, DPL, NAC, etc. I have one and program a few scratch channels in every zone that I can modify on the fly. Still not a radio you can FPP everything from scratch but it satisfies my needs.
I went as far as reaching out to several after market battery manufacturer seeing if they can retrofit a micro or type c charging circuit in the battery to eliminate the use for a charger which is impossible to find right now, with no go. You can get the battery rebuilt though.

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
If they do come out with a good reliable battery it will make me sorry I sold off the Liberty I got on Epay for a little over $100 with the USB programming and Hirose adapter.
Well I was going to buy one but seeing how The programming cable available is $225. No charger available anywhere. It's just a loss dream. I was excited to have a full UHF Spectrum radio, but decided to grab a BK radio kng p500 instead. Just waiting on parts because the radio is trashed physically, works good though. I've always wanted something that did p25 and would cover 350-520mhz.
My kngp500 covers 440-520 I'm happy :)

Since harris is dumping the unity in 2022 I'll just wait for the deals on epay :)

prcguy

The Harris Unity XG-100P is very nice and well supported but I don't think you will be finding them much cheaper in 2022 or later. There are batteries and all accys everywhere for fair prices and "friendly" programming software is out there. Big old turkey Liberty radios are being offered for $750 and more with zero accys available and you can get a nice XG-100P in the $1200 range and any accys you could ever want.

Well I was going to buy one but seeing how The programming cable available is $225. No charger available anywhere. It's just a loss dream. I was excited to have a full UHF Spectrum radio, but decided to grab a BK radio kng p500 instead. Just waiting on parts because the radio is trashed physically, works good though. I've always wanted something that did p25 and would cover 350-520mhz.
My kngp500 covers 440-520 I'm happy :)

Since harris is dumping the unity in 2022 I'll just wait for the deals on epay :)

SirJ

Intelligence Everywhere!
Premium Subscriber
The Harris Unity XG-100P is very nice and well supported but I don't think you will be finding them much cheaper in 2022 or later. There are batteries and all accys everywhere for fair prices and "friendly" programming software is out there. Big old turkey Liberty radios are being offered for $750 and more with zero accys available and you can get a nice XG-100P in the $1200 range and any accys you could ever want.
Yup. I just quiet can't drop over $1k right now. Since the pandemic I've been able to raise my fico score if I can find a deal on a CC than I'll use it towards a unity, and be happy with a magical all band radio. For now I'll just sport two or three monoband rigs like I've been doing for the last 10 years.

This hobby is so addictive. You always want something more loll

Status
Not open for further replies.