• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Thales Liberty vs Unity XG-100p

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolasmtz

Hi, I'm new here and looking to purchase either a Liberty or Unity radio but would like to get some input from owners. What are your likes and dislikes on this radios and programming software. What is something that would make you recommend the radio. I also would like to give thanks in advance to anyone that give their two cents.

Thanks
nicolasmtz

RFrunner

I like Liberty's rugged metal chassis design which I believe is superior to Unity's mechanical design. I also like Liberty's straight forward radio programming and PC programmer. I know Thales has a patent for the Liberty broadband antenna.

I believe electrical performance is very similiar between Liberty and Unity so that's a wash.

RFrunner

I was told the Datron multi-band will be available in about 2 months. I was told this at MILCOM in Baltimore recently.

mancow

Database Admin
I talked to a tech there and they have beta units out so I bet they will be out in the wild soon.

jim202

What is the bottom line on both the Liberty and the Unity? Well I would have to ask you a question first. Just what are you looking for in a radio?

If your looking to be able to monitor 2 bands at the same time, neither radio will do that for you. You would be better off buying 2 lower cost radios with one on each of the bands your looking to monitor. Reason being is that there is only one receiver in these radios. Sure you can scan both bands, but the first signal into the receiver will capture the radio and the second incoming signal on the other band won't be heard.

If your looking to only operate a single band at a time, then you have a number of choices. Buy one of these expensive toys at better than $5000, or buy 2 much cheaper radios and keep both with you. If you find out that only one band is going to be used, leave the other radio in your vehicle.

Having been on the front line for over 35 years with the fire service and working with public safety radio systems for over 45 years now, my choice would be a way to hear both bands at the same time. Most of the incidents that I have been to that had more than one band involved for communications had chatter on both at the same time. The only way your going to keep up with the action is to have 2 different radios or put a gateway in service and link both bands together.

Which is the better choice for you will depend on how the radio communications are used. With the tight budgets these days, I would take the route that provided the best communications for the least cost. My bet is that in many cases, the 2 radio move is better and cheaper.

Last edited:

W2NJS

After taking a long, hard look at what you really need, remember that the used market cost of the Motorola APX7000 has now come down to the $2,500 range...if you need only two bands and not three.

RFrunner

I agree with Jim -- if you need to monitor two bands at the same time then Liberty, Unity or APX7000 will not get the job done. You must purchase two radios or use a gateway as Jim wrote.

But, if your work takes you to many locations and you need to communicate with folks on different frequency bands then multiband radios deserve consideration. Prices on multiband radios are already starting to drop as W2NJS wrote. In addition, as more multiband radios become available, prices will continue to drop. The Datron multiband radio will soon hit the market and perhaps other multiband radios are in development now with emphasis on lowering cost and weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.