• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Thales PRC antenna 100 ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
On a multimeter the antenna is showing 100 ohms. I have other Thales antennas that are similar, but not the exact same model number and they do not show that result. Any thoughts? It's the black stubby around 13" (33 cm).

Model # / Result
1600500-2 / 100 ohms
1600500-1 / 0 ohms

mancow

Database Admin
It's a matching network, no need to cut one open. It's meant to present a reasonable SWR to the radio. It's embedded in epoxy. You will likely destroy it trying to dig into it. Just accept it for what it is, a dummy load with a radiator.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
It indeed does present the best broad SWR I have ever observed until it ramps up to 600 MHz. Thus, the subsequent check with a multimeter. The -1 models seem normal, so I just mainly wondered if all -2 versions were the same. This does not look like a knockoff, but I am not an expert. Also, the 100 ohms seemed odd to me.

Thank you for the replies. I’ll relegate it to some 11m HT.

prcguy

I use those antennas on a multi band band radio all the time and they work ok on VHF air through 512Mhz. Below that not so good.

It indeed does present the best broad SWR I have ever observed until it ramps up to 600 MHz. Thus, the subsequent check with a multimeter. The -1 models seem normal, so I just mainly wondered if all -2 versions were the same. This does not look like a knockoff, but I am not an expert. Also, the 100 ohms seemed odd to me.

Thank you for the replies. I’ll relegate it to some 11m HT.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, after another detailed check I have decided to use them on scanners or receivers like a Yaesu VR-500 and avoid TX with them. As you noted, VHF air through 512 MHz is where they shine. I have plenty of purpose made antennas that sweep and actually perform better in the amateur bands for TX/RX.
I use those antennas on a multi band band radio all the time and they work ok on VHF air through 512Mhz. Below that not so good.

prcguy

If you had the radio those antennas are made for its what you would use for everything, otherwise you would be swapping antennas all the time when changing bands. They are big and ugly but work just fine for their intended purpose. I've even used the antenna on 6m keying up a repeater at over 25mi away but it was a bit weak. The low freq version of the antenna is 1m long and is rated for 30 to 90MHz and works much better down there. I get into 6m repeaters 50mi away with that one.

Yeah, after another detailed check I have decided to use them on scanners or receivers like a Yaesu VR-500 and avoid TX with them. As you noted, VHF air through 512 MHz is where they shine. I have plenty of purpose made antennas that sweep and actually perform better in the amateur bands for TX/RX.

mancow

Database Admin

There's a -3 version as well. I have some but never swept them in comparison to the older ones. What ranges are you trying to cover that the bandwidth of these will not work for you?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I believe the longer Thales 1600629-2 folding blade antenna is what you are referring to. If so, I have tested the performance. I have the flexible arm on it and it sweeps and performs wonderfully on 6m. It easily cracks into the 6m repeaters around here, but they're both around 3600' ASL, so with 5W it is not a problem. Also, you noted the Thales stubby works poorly on 6m and I found that the Yaesu two piece antenna that is supplied with the 817 works much better. I even purchased another one of those Yaesu antennas just to use it on a 2m/6m Woxun HT. Considering its compromise on size, it really performs.

Mancow, I noticed that -3 version just recently but do not own one. My guess is it performs similar to 1 & 2, but my main curiosity was about the 100 ohm reading on the multimeter with the -2 and not observing it on -1. As to bandwidth, they provide what they should as prcguy pointed out. Bandwidth + performance is a reality if one is willing to compromise on one, the other, or both, but you two know that.

prcguy

There is also a 20 watt rated version for use with amplifiers and I have one on a neat little mag mount with TNC connector and one for use with several portable amplifiers. The mag mount is nifty because you can connect any radio to it 30-512MHz and it works well on a car roof with big ground plane.

Shakespeare makes a longer version at 20" with no heatsink and 20 watt rating that works better on 6m.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Hmm...I am going to try out those stubby’s with a ground plane. I need to use an adapter, so that can change things. Still, one must experiment. I’m not sure what I have for mag mount. I rarely use them. I’ll rig something.

That compensator antenna version is interesting. Once the Icom 705 is released I will be testing antennas out again. I am hoping for wide band RX for VHF and UHF, but not holding my breath. We may just get air band and NOAA.

udiver

Anybody know what the difference between the Thales 1600629-1 and 1600629-2 is?

prcguy

A -1 or -2 is sometimes a replacement in the series. The 1600629-001 shows as the 1m blade antenna that covers 30-90MHz and $164 with account from a Thales web page several years old. The -2 is not mentioned in that page.

The web page also shows the 1600500-1 13" antenna for $200 and a 1600500-3 13" antenna for $160. I just checked my stock of these antennas and find the old original fat version with 1600500-1 and also the new thinner more flexible version with the same P/N. That's unusual and 8-10yrs ago a guy on Fleabay had the old fat versions for $5 each and I stocked up.

Anybody know what the difference between the Thales 1600629-1 and 1600629-2 is?

Last edited:

udiver

That's quite common for Thales, if a product gets updated its labelled as a new revision (REV A, B, C, D etc...), it doesn't get a new P/N. Different P/N's indicate there is some kind of performance difference. I've got a distant memory that the difference between 1600629-1 and 1600629-2 may be the the submersible rating but I could be way off base.

Status
Not open for further replies.