Thank You, UPMan

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctordave

Paul,

Given the expanse of senseless comments on other threads, I want to take a moment to thank you & your team for your efforts toward further fine-tuning & possibly even advancing the capabilities of the 396/996 series. I've purchased 10 units, between the ones I own & the ones I've given as gifts and am nothing short of exceedingly pleased with the performance of both radios across multiple systems of varying types in 3 states. If you offered no further enhancements, I'd remain quite content. No doubt, there are peculiar radio systems in parts of the country that are challenging to decode/monitor - and I applaud your intent to help 396/996 owners in those areas. I suspect that the overwhelming majority (the "silent majority") on this board fully understand that we stand to gain tremendously from future paid downloads of new feature(s) that you and your team have invested time/money into developing and this is in sharp contrast to the more costly alternative of making new features only available in radio models that are just over the horizon. Ensuring that your R&D ultimately proves to be fruitful via some electronic registration method is entirely reasonable and consistent with approaches by other entities involved in electronic manufactoring. Again, hats off to you and your team!

D

DaveNF2G

Hear, hear.

I don't normally like to post to "echo" or "me, too" threads, but there have been an inordinate number of complaining messages posted in response to Paul's attempt to do us a favor and offer some encouragement to 396/996 users. Please, Paul and Uniden, ignore the naysayers and keep doing what you do!

K8TEK

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What, are our complaints against a $500 scanner without merit? I think if I invest such a large sum of money into a product, I deserve to have it supported, and not thrown on the backburner for a new product. This scanner is the current model, complaints have been voiced and it has been almost a year since anything has been done.

delta_p

Many thanks Paul, and to Uniden, for your support to a fine product.

PP

powerhouse

Let me chime in also and add my thanks and gratitude to Paul as well. I am delighted to hear about the upcoming updates and possible future upgrades as well.
Thanks again Upman!
Dean

kenisned

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Thanks!

Glad to post on a thread where the theme is to say thank you.

For those who need to complain, can you post elsewhere? There are plenty of other threads with that theme already.

Thanks

warrior420

Thank you. Ive bought lots and have gottten my friends to buy even more. We all love them!@!

offsite

Premium Subscriber
Given memory and other system constraints, we realize adding new features is no minor undertaking, Paul.

Kudos for giving it a go!

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Thanks UpMan

:eek: I want to thank you UpMan for keeping us updated with the new information, it's great to have someone like you to take the time to keep in touch with the owners of this scanner radio. It's exciting news to hear about the updates and other information you passed onto us. I really like the idea of not having to buy a new scanner and maybe buying new firmware as new upgrades are added to the bc396t, I like that idea. also I'm not sorry I spent a little over $ 900.00 dollars Canadian funds for this scanner, I know some people are complaining about the scanner costing $ 500.00 US but it looks like I picked the right scanner to stay with, look forward to the future changes that Uniden has in store for us. Very pleased !
Steve
Ontario Canada

800crazy1

i was one of the complainers on here about the edacs beeps , and didnt think you guys would ever address it. i was wrong , and at least your righting the wrongs. thanks paul. i will be a continued customer !

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
K8TEK said:
What, are our complaints against a $500 scanner without merit? I think if I invest such a large sum of money into a product, I deserve to have it supported, and not thrown on the backburner for a new product. This scanner is the current model, complaints have been voiced and it has been almost a year since anything has been done.

Yes, your complaints are without merit. Granted, $500 is alot of money for a scanner, but the radios used on these systems cost much more than that. There is no way any scanner is going to work as well as say a Motorola radio that is actually part of the radio system. This digital trunking technology is still relatively new and there is much more work that needs to be done to perfect these systems, and this applies to both scanners and radios that are used on the system. Sure, it's annoying when a transmission comes through all garbled but it's much more than an annoyance to the people that use the radio whose lives may be on the line. I can't count the number of times I have heard "10-9, you were digitized." I have even heard this many times when the transmission came through loud and clear on my 396, so obviously it is not just a problem with scanners. These problems can't be fixed overnight, it takes a lot of work, experimentation, trial and error, and most of all....it takes TIME.

The Wright Brothers didn't build a 747 did they? It took many years to perfect that technology, and there are still improvements being made. Same type of thing applies here.

It's great that Uniden continues to make updates for a scanner that was introduced several years ago, they sure don't have to do it. If you go and spend 20 grand on a new car, do you expect them to update your car with all the new features in 5 years? No...if you want those features you have to buy a new car.

Last edited:

wvscanner

Database Admin
I will say thanks Paul and the Uniden team. I have used Uniden scanners since my 1st one in 1990. I'm sure some things will be free like the issue of the EDAC problems. Where new features would be charged. Look at this way. Buy a car and if want it to go faster you pay more, if it is manufacture problem then they recall and fix it. Windows PC, 98, NT, XP, if it is a security problem or a MS Window app, they fixed. If you wan't more features then you will have to pay for Vista.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
Count me in too...

I applaud both Paul and Uniden for their effort to keep my scanner current even after almost three years. To think that they would offer new features so long after a scanner's release is unheard of. I also want to thank Paul for keeping us updated via these forums and being active in the scanning community... also unheard of.

Keep up the good work! :)

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Raven95150 said:
Yes, your complaints are without merit.

No, they are not.

I also think that tying the low battery alert in with the keypad beep setting is not the best, and if I were spending $500 on a scanner I would expect such little things to be taken care of beforehand.

35delivery

After reading so many complaints, I'm glad to find a thread to say THANK YOU!!!!! I got a new 396T for Christmas and I think it is a GREAT radio. Many thanks to Paul and Uniden for their efforts. I've been a scanner enthusiast longer than many on this forum have been alive. My first scanner was a Bearcat III Electra, complete with 8 crystal controlled channels, manual lockout switches on the front, and no delay whatsoever! Developments have certainly come a long way and I applaud Uniden for their efforts to improve their radios and I will gladly pay for the future upgrades.

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.