Thanking of Returning my BCT996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottct1

Feed Provider
I was looking at buying a BCT996XT for myself and my wife found out and purchased me one for a Valentines day gift.

She got it in and couldn't resist giving it to me early.

I have been playing with it the past 24 hours and I have got to be honest, I don't really like it.

First off I only really listen to one thing and that is my towns Police and Fire departments. Those agencies are on the same LTR trunked system. With the BCT996XT it is missing a lot of the calls.

I have a handheld 396T which is side by side with the 996XT and it catches a lot of the traffic that the 996 is late to tune in.

I have both set with the 4 frequenceies that my town users in the same order. I have the same Talkgroups programmed in. And this is the only thing I am scanning is this one group.

Closecall is turned off, WX alerts are turned off, I am only ID scanning the one town. The 396T picks up most everything at the start of the transmission, while the 996 tuned in a few seconds after the transmission has started.

I can't have this scanner if I can't tune in what I want to hear.

It also seems like a waste to me to have a scanner that can store a gazillion frequencies when you cant really scann them because you will miss everything... (but thats just me)

I am also not to impressed with the digital reception, I programmed in the Connecticut State police and still most voices sounded like robots on those transmissions. I was hoping that the Digital sound would be better in the 996XT over the 396T.

Any advice how I can speed this thing up so I dont miss calls. I have wiped the unit and again am now on one group just for my local town, the rest of the scanner is empty.

Or should I just pack it up and send it back to scanner master? If yes do you think the BCT15X would be better or should I look for a 396T.

Thank you for any insight!

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Did you try turning the delay off on the LTR talkgroups?

You could try downloading FreeSCAN and download the memory from the 396T and then uploading it to the 996XT using the included cable if your computer has a serial port connection, to see if they perform the same. ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN!

cg

Premium Subscriber
- There are 6 frequencies listed for Newington in the database. I thought they used 5 but fairly certain it isn't 4.
- delay of -10 will force rescan at 10 seconds.
- be sure you have the frequencies in the correct LCN.
- if it is using an outside antenna, you may need to attenuate the signal (ATT)
- be sure you have the newest firmware loaded.

chris

scottct1

Feed Provider
Well I tried it and it is better, although at times is still missed the first second or two of some broadcasts, but it is much better now.

Can someone answer a stupid question for me, on the display there is an Up Arrow on the right of ID SCAN, what is that arrow?

derevs

Also remember when listening to 2 radios that they both scan in a different sequence and one may stop on a conversation while the other is catching up or may have on a different ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.