The 396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Only two days old, but I can still offer up some observations.

* The Channel Alert (hell, all the alerting) is a welcome (missed) feature.

* The screen color SUCKS. No way around it. It SUCKS!!!

* The WFM (FM radio band) is a welcome relief!!!! I've countlessly cursed my other scanners for omitting such an ordinarily useful band. Just for those times when you're out in the field and need to hear the football game or dance to oldies OR Led Zeppelin. ...Am I old? :)

* The text alpha-tagging entry system also SUCKS!!! They should've known better! They could've tossed in an added keystroke to activate familiar cellphone text entry.

* Well thought out menu system. A little more work than I expected but it's not intimidating. Like Prego... "it's in there!"

* The SMA/BNC adapter is SO appreciated! Nice freebie (?;). Thanks Uniden!!!

* I can hear Philadelphia once again!!!

And so on and so forth.

Andy
Scannist

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
Boomeranger said:
Only two days old, but I can still offer up some observations.

* The Channel Alert (hell, all the alerting) is a welcome (missed) feature.

* The screen color SUCKS. No way around it. It SUCKS!!!

* The WFM (FM radio band) is a welcome relief!!!! I've countlessly cursed my other scanners for omitting such an ordinarily useful band. Just for those times when you're out in the field and need to hear the football game or dance to oldies OR Led Zeppelin. ...Am I old? :)

* The text alpha-tagging entry system also SUCKS!!! They should've known better! They could've tossed in an added keystroke to activate familiar cellphone text entry.

* Well thought out menu system. A little more work than I expected but it's not intimidating. Like Prego... "it's in there!"

* The SMA/BNC adapter is SO appreciated! Nice freebie (?;). Thanks Uniden!!!

And so on and so forth.

Andy
Scannist

Glad you like the 396, Andy. Sorry to hear the display sucks, I think the blue is great and wish it had been an option on the 996. Did you try the UASD program or the free Butel Clone program, yet?

Another cool donate-ware program is available from Scannerbase: http://www.scannerbase.com/ check it out.

Led Zeppelin, on the 396, I'm sure Jimmy Page is proud.

Boomeranger

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
DaveIN said:
Glad you like the 396, Andy. Sorry to hear the display sucks, I think the blue is great and wish it had been an option on the 996. Did you try the UASD program or the free Butel Clone program, yet?

Another cool donate-ware program is available from Scannerbase: http://www.scannerbase.com/ check it out.

Led Zeppelin, on the 396, I'm sure Jimmy Page is proud.

I went to RatShack for the 800mHz antenna this morning and on one of the stereos they had was playing "Ten Years Gone"!!!! I've been humming it all day since.

I reg'd the Butel 396T basic software as fast as spit when the scanner arrived. And as I posted elsewhere, I became INSTANTLY LAZY!!! :D

Not much of the Uniden database is worthy around the Philadelphia area. :(

That's another thing I noticed, the database is severely flawed as far as how they designate the systems. How can you tell the county listings without the state?!?!?!? They didn't sort by state.

All the best,

Andy

ampulman

Boomeranger said:

the he wrote:

Not much of the Uniden database is worthy around the Philadelphia area. :(

That's another thing I noticed, the database is severely flawed as far as how they designate the systems. How can you tell the county listings without the state?!?!?!? They didn't sort by state.

I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "how they designate the systems." When I go to the database, I click on state, then county. Are you saying that the Philly info is not good? Gee, I hope not.

By the way, where are located (area). I'm in Cherry Hill area. Had a PRO-96. Reception of Philly system was not great using the rubber duck. Will have a new 396 tomorrow. Hope reception is better.

Ampulman

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ampulman said:
I'm a little confused. What do you mean by "how they designate the systems." When I go to the database, I click on state, then county. Are you saying that the Philly info is not good? Gee, I hope not.

By the way, where are located (area). I'm in Cherry Hill area. Had a PRO-96. Reception of Philly system was not great using the rubber duck. Will have a new 396 tomorrow. Hope reception is better.

Ampulman
He's referring to the preloaded systems in the 396, not the database information here on RadioReference.

Your 800mhz reception will be better if you purchase the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna. Using that anttena will require the use of the BNC to SMA adapter that comes with the scanner, but it does make a big difference.

ampulman

hiegtx said:
Your 800mhz reception will be better if you purchase the Radio Shack 800mhz antenna. Using that anttena will require the use of the BNC to SMA adapter that comes with the scanner, but it does make a big difference.

Thanks, I already own one and plan to use it. Tried to improve reception of Philly on my PRO-96; didn't seem to make much if any difference. I am across the river in NJ.

Ampulman

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
ampulman said:
Thanks, I already own one and plan to use it. Tried to improve reception of Philly on my PRO-96; didn't seem to make much if any difference. I am across the river in NJ.

Ampulman
From other posts I've read, Philly's system is designed to cover the city itself, with signal coverage that does not penetrate very far outside the city limits. That may be due, in part, to the frequencies assigned. Certain frequencies have FCC restrictions on power & antenna usage to prevent interference with other systems. Your reception can be afected by distance from the city, or distance from the nearest transmitter site, as well as terrain or buildings in your line of sight path to that transmitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.