The AirShow Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
:p:p:p:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

All,

It is the midst of summer, and it is turning out to be a hot one! It is also deep into Air Show season. Nothing makes me feel all patriotic inside like a good airshow. After an airshow, I feel like I could drink both Captain America and Uncle Sam under the table!:D And beat up any commie that gets in my way! AMERICA F'-YEAH!

Anyways, airshows are not only fun for families, couples, friends, etc, young or old, they are also a great place to practice other hobbies with like minded people! On one end of the spectrum you have the rabid photographer with $10,000 stabilized zoom lenses, and on the other hand you have your rabid scanner enthusiests. Heck, even the whackers are welcome! CAP, (airwhackers:wink:) come out to show us what they do, ARES, RACES, and all the local groups come out to make sure no one gets heatstroke or can act if something bad happens (like this past weekend down south unfortunatly):(

Anyways, its a great thing to talk about! I was at the RI air show this past weekend in Kingston RI at the old Navy base. They had the Red Arrow demo team from the UK which was a first for me. They were amazing! I felt it was much nicer display than the "Air Marching" that you see with the Thunderbirds. It was great to see a A/V-8B Harrier demo again too! Sooooo much noise! :twisted::twisted::twisted:. Typical, but always fun to watch Express stunt-planes and barn stormers, an F-15 and F/A-18 demo, a really interesting combined helicopter and C-130 airborne assault demo with lots and lots of FIRE!:twisted: Plenty of static displays to keep my interest, but the B-2 never made it on Sunday, dont know about Saturday. Anyways, as soon as my day ends here, I promise I will go home and upload the better pictures from the airshow that I was able to take.

As far as relating it to radio. I had the tower and some of the support freqs loaded up, but my fiance assured me that her digicam batteries were "brand new":roll: After about 5 minutes, she was the proud owner of the eneloops out of my scanner and the dumb thing just sat on my waistband the entire day.

OOOH I got some GOOD pics of some scanner-nuts there too! OMG like 12 scanners on a custom radio-flyer:wink: wagon and an external power supply and PA type speakers! Geeky, but cool. Especially for a scanner-fan! So whoever you guys were on the flightline, that was badass! Your pic is going up in a few hours for better or for worse!:lol: Dont worry, I got your good side!:cool:

So what are your Summer '08 Airshow Experiences or plans?

Last edited:
D

DaveNF2G

Doesn't this belong in the Aircraft Monitoring Forum?

af5rn

Doesn't this belong in the Aircraft Monitoring Forum?
That was my first thought, but really, I don't think so. A lot of people -- myself included -- scan airshows without scanning the aircraft at all. There is a lot more to be heard than aircraft.

there's been 1//2 dozen of these threads here also lately do a search ?:p
If there were, they weren't in the Aircraft Monitoring forum. I just looked, and there's only one airshow thread there for the last four months, plus one Wiki announcement:

http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110569
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101098

Using the search function, five pages of topics containing the word "airshow" come up, but that's spaced over the entire history of the forum.

All the others are either in the discussion forum for the specific state of a particular airshow, or in the Military Monitoring forum.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
yeah guys, this is fairly "general airshow w/ or w/o scanners discussion."

I'm not asking for FAA sector frequencies or locator becons on LW. The Aircraft forum is fairly specific and I would like to see some general discussion on the topic. So I appreciate both the criticism and support, but i am well aware of the aircraft forum and put this here for a reason.

Anyways, for the short time that I was able to monitor at the RI airshow, I really wish that I had brought an earphone/earpiece. My PSR300 can get pretty loud, but not loud enough to hear without a bunch of people looking around for the "distorted walkie talkie noise" But as I was telling my fiance what I was hearing about an act not being able to go on, everyone was wondering how I knew this. I felt a little like a self-concious know-it-all. I'm gonna go upstairs and get the pics from the show. while i'm gone, post up your airshow plans or experiences for Summer '08!

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
My Son and I will be attending this years Cherry Festival in Traverse City, MI

Air Show July 5 and 6 the following will be there:

The United States Navy Blue Angel Demonstration Team

AeroShell Aerobatic Team

United States Army Golden Knights Parachute Team

United States Coast Guard HH-65C Dolphin

United States Marine Corps F/A-18D Hornet

Air National Guard F-15C Eagle

United States Air Force A-10 Thunderbolt II Demonstration Team

More info:

http://www.cherryfestival.org/events/airshow/blue_airshow.php

Looking forward to the Air Show, I saw the Blue Angles in 97 in San Fran, one Jet flew under the Golden Gate Bridge. Unbelievable

Status
Not open for further replies.